#1 hunting point

nybuckboy

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Luck is way higher than 2% and access to good hunting land is like 95%. You can't shoot big bucks if they don't exist on your property. Having 3 shooter bucks on your property vs. having 10 is a huge difference.

I hunt pretty good parcels and having 3 shooter bucks would be a huge blessing.  10 would be insane.  I realize we all have different definitions of shooter and I don't have 500 acres.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cynthiafu said:

My father and I were talking and smoking one year and a big eight pointer walked right over to us . Dad shot him at 7or8 yards .I'll never forget that . I walked over to that buck with Dad behind me and I went to grab his horns and he picked up his head and tried to get up . Lolol about shit myself . My dad laughed so hard . He said how many times I got to tell you to look at the eyes . The deers eyes were closed not open and faded lolol . He laughed at me . Lololol  I miss hunting with my dad . Going to be hard this year to but I will be out there . 

Opening Day of Shotgun season 2007, I shoot my first 8 pointer at first light. I call my Mom on cell phone to explain my excitement while waiting for dad to walk over from his spot to help me gut & drag. While i'm talking loud on phone a big 4pt comes walking by. Then dad and i gut and drag 8pt and stop at a stone wall for pics. While my dad is taking pics of me and dead 8pt, two more 8 pointers (both bigger of course) come running by. Dad couldn't get a shot. We went to the butcher and I was home by 9am that day after seeing 4 bucks (3 8pts.). To this day, I have never seen 4 bucks in NY on the same day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I hunt pretty good parcels and having 3 shooter bucks would be a huge blessing.  10 would be insane.  I realize we all have different definitions of shooter and I don't have 500 acres.

You may have 3 shooters in your mind. But in my mind, you probably have 2 or 3 times that many. The reverse is none of my 3 shooters would be shooters in WNY. I think Gman posted 27 shooters in my mind already

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You may have 3 shooters in your mind. But in my mind, you probably have 2 or 3 times that many. The reverse is none of my 3 shooters would be shooters in WNY. I think Gman posted 27 shooters in my mind already

Understood and so far, I don't have 3 shooters in mind.  But optimism loom large.  lol

20 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Luck is way higher than 2% and access to good hunting land is like 95%. You can't shoot big bucks if they don't exist on your property. Having 3 shooter bucks on your property vs. having 10 is a huge difference.

i put access into the scouting prep category. 

luck is a philosophical debate separate to hunting in my opinion. I don't necessarily believe that some people are luckier than others. I believe we make our own luck. I believe we put ourselves in situations by being more outgoing or friendlier which may lead us to a new piece of hunting land we wouldn't have found otherwise if we didn't strike up a friendship with a neighbor who has a cousin with a farm. That's not luck. Working your ass off reading and scouting and prepping for anything in life breads success, that isn't luck. But yes there is a small percentage of things that happen that can't be explained. Karma is similar for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Opening Day of Shotgun season 2007, I shoot my first 8 pointer at first light. I call my Mom on cell phone to explain my excitement while waiting for dad to walk over from his spot to help me gut & drag. While i'm talking loud on phone a big 4pt comes walking by. Then dad and i gut and drag 8pt and stop at a stone wall for pics. While my dad is taking pics of me and dead 8pt, two more 8 pointers (both bigger of course) come running by. Dad couldn't get a shot. We went to the butcher and I was home by 9am that day after seeing 4 bucks (3 8pts.). To this day, I have never seen 4 bucks in NY on the same day.

there was a doe in heat for sure. 7 years ago my son was a few months old and I knew I couldn't be picky that bow season. Shot the first buck I could. A yearling 5 point. not 30 seconds after i flung an arrow at him comes a dinker 3 and a pretty nice 2.5 year old 8. That eight walked in 10 yards broadside. I about died inside. To top it off he later got a wound to his eye and we never saw him again, i'm assuming he died somewhere from wound complications and that just sucks.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Agree .

Good land , makes it easy for almost anyone to kill deer.

Time . With lots of time,  even on not so good land , one can connect ( Biz’s Dad ).  Plenty of time and good land, and the big  ones drop , with regularity.

Luck. Way bigger then 2% . Used to hunt with Howie , he did zero pre season anything including shooting his gun, killed bucks every year . He hunted in a blanket lined jean jacket , brown cowboy hat, upland vest with a six pack of Genny in it . As an example , one year OD he was late because he couldn’t find his slugs, because see,  he had not even looked at his “ gear “ since he put it away at the end of the previous season . ( he found three slugs, only needed one ) 

He drove down a lane way parked his car, leaned up against a hay wagon , and lit a cigarette, then a buck stepped out into the field and he killed it . Every year he killed bucks, and I’m pretty sure he couldn’t tell you which way the wind was coming from ,nor care , scent control ? Crap he hunted in his every day clothes .

He really annoyed , the rest of the fellas , I thought it was funny .

This was back in the day , in Webster, and Ontario ,where ever we could get access to some land ,or just go where it wasn’t posted .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wow never more than 4 in same day.. that's crazy, there are opening days I'd see 30 plus buck and close to 70 doe...

Good land , doesn't just exist it can be created. I would put that in prep category,  I do not think the game taken off my place would be the same without constant habitat manipulation.  As for luck it strikes 1x  if you then think about what happened and why you can find the pattern and use it again and again.. for example a neighbor use to get out of work at 4pm, would then change and race not really fast but drive up)up the hill on his ATV, to get to his hunting spot .pushing a herd of deer over the top and they would run down and hit natural saddle where I had just hung a stand for bow hunting.  It became like clockwork 430 herd of deer runs over the hill and stops under stand. The 1st time it happens was luck, realizing what happened and why led to over 55 deer shot out of that stand. When he retired it stopped but it was a good run while it lasted....

Edited by G-Man

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Wow never more than 4 in same day.. that's crazy, there are opening days I'd see 30 plus buck and close to 70 doe...

sweet baby Jesus. That's why i love hunting out west. in Wyoming a few times i've glassed up 50 deer (25-30 bucks) in a day.

You ever think about outfitting on your land? You could make nice $ doing semi guided hunts. drop people off at their stands.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

sweet baby Jesus. That's why i love hunting out west. in Wyoming a few times i've glassed up 50 deer (25-30 bucks) in a day.

You ever think about outfitting on your land? You could make nice $ doing semi guided hunts. drop people off at their stands.

I do that now no money just friends you think after 20 years they could find their own stands

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 9:02 AM, Jeremy K said:

You guys really shit in the woods that much? I can only remember one time where I knew I was in trouble. I miss those socks LOL.

Archery hunting.......50% of the days I hunt but usually just the morning.  Gun........75% of the time. 

MY records are kind of shitty so those numbers aren't concrete.

• Like 1

Archery hunting.......50% of the days I hunt but usually just the morning.  Gun........75% of the time. 
MY records are kind of shitty so those numbers aren't concrete.

Are you serious? I can honestly I’ve never shit in the woods while hunting in NY. Even if I have to at 9am I can hold it till sunset when I get home. I don’t even carry TP unless I’m out west and might be sleeping in woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Are you serious? I can honestly I’ve never shit in the woods while hunting in NY. Even if I have to at 9am I can hold it till sunset when I get home. I don’t even carry TP unless I’m out west and might be sleeping in woods

Lol seriously?

Who HAS NOT shit in the woods on a all day hunt ? 

That can't be healthy 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Me. I don’t drink coffee when I hunt, so I’m good. I shit in woods just not when hunting

Do you not eat much or at all when you hunt? 

I Have a hard time believing YOU seeing your (what IS  for dinner pictures ) that you don't go when you hunt after eating all that grilled meats  you like .

Edited by Hunter007

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Hard to believe after all those dark to dark sits you do.  Don't be afraid to do it;  as far as I can see, it hasn't effected my success.

:)

Do you not eat much or at all when you hunt? 

I Have a hard time believing YOU seeing your (what IS  for dinner pictures ) that you don't go when you hunt after eating all that grilled meats  you like .

Red Bull (Instead of coffee on my ride to hunt)

Water, Gatorade to drink.

Food is PBnJ sandwiches.

I shit in morning before leaving house. And shut when I get home.

Sometimes at work I gotta shit at 930am but in meetings and just hold it until 1130am or something. No big deal.