#1 hunting point

nybuckboy

Well, success is measured in many different ways. I may not take a deer, but still consider an outing successful. Maybe i can watch a red tail hawk on a nearby branch not knowing I am so close, once I watched two owls tag team a squirrel in a giant maple tree. Sometimes sitting for hours on a perfect fall morning thinking back about the times I spent with my Dad in the woods as a young man, or the times I spent with my boys when they were young is all it takes to make the day worthwhile. Helping one of my sons learn to track a poorly hit deer and the excitement when we find it. Watching a young buck walk by as I draw on him with no intention of taking him, though The week before I swore to myself I would take him if he comes by.

I guess for me, its to have fun and enjoy the time outdoors more than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I agree with Fat and all of the above but the most important or number one for me is to be certain of my shot.  Not all shots are perfect and I would personally would rather let one walk than to attempt a shot I may or may not be able to make.

I have let a lot of them walk even at full draw because there was a hint of doubt at the moment of truth. When I  "send it" I want full confidence in the shot even though I know there is always a chance things will go bad for whatever reason.

• Like 5

I look forward to enjoying the hunt wether I see a deer or not. I want to sit and enjoy the sounds the sites and the silence.  For me just sitting in a tree and clearing my head forgetting about work and the hustles of life.  I like to sit and remember past hunts and things like vacations and stuff with the family.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Steve D said:

I agree with Fat and all of the above but the most important or number one for me is to be certain of my shot.  Not all shots are perfect and I would personally would rather let one walk than to attempt a shot I may or may not be able to make.

I have let a lot of them walk even at full draw because there was a hint of doubt at the moment of truth. When I  "send it" I want full confidence in the shot even though I know there is always a chance things will go bad for whatever reason.

Hunt the wind as well.  And this is exactly what I was gonna say. Relax, don't rush, take and make a good shot. 

• Like 1

Be PRESENT at that hunt.

Too often I’m sitting in a tree worrying about what responsibility is waiting at home or work; looking at this stupid site instead of watching the woods, checking for new text updates from hunting partners, etc.

I’m hoping for more focus on the woods when I’m in the woods!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My number 1 happens way before I step foot in the woods
#practice- you have the whole year to prepare for the second that matters.

Hunting the wind isn’t in my top 5

That's the most foolish thing regarding to hunting I've ever read . You ask any good hunter and they all agree that wind is the number 1 aspect to hunting whitetail deer ,you will NEVER trick their nose.

That's the most foolish thing regarding to hunting I've ever read . You ask any good hunter and they all agree that wind is the number 1 aspect to hunting whitetail deer ,you will NEVER trick their nose.

I wouldn’t consider myself a “good” hunter but I can say I have shot way more deer that were downwind of me than deer I have shot from stands I wasn’t in because I was worried about getting winded. Back when I did sit if the sign and activity was showing me a particular stand I would hunt it regardless of wind, the buck might change his routine tomorrow and you could miss your opportunity. Now that 95% of my bowhunting is done on my feet I check the wind from time to time but in the adks it changes with every 10 steps so you just have to hunt or you wouldn’t get anywhere.

Other than using common sense and not pumping gas and wearing hunting clothes to Walmart I have virtually no scent mitigation routine.

• Like 2

Be absolutely 100% familiar, and proficient with whatever you are hunting with. And know your limit!!!

Too many take only a few shots in the backyard at 20 yards, and say good enough. It's not. Way too many variables out in the deer woods as far as shot distance and angles. And shooting way beyond your limit is just a recipe for disappointment, and not fair to the game we hunt.

Know your Bow!!!!  And most importantly know when NOT to let an arrow fly. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:
50 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My number 1 happens way before I step foot in the woods
#practice- you have the whole year to prepare for the second that matters.

Hunting the wind isn’t in my top 5

That's the most foolish thing regarding to hunting I've ever read . You ask any good hunter and they all agree that wind is the number 1 aspect to hunting whitetail deer ,you will NEVER trick their nose

I tend to agree with Buckmaster. Practice is most important for being able to make the shot when the time comes. As far as wind.. I pay attention to it but don't let it affect my hunting to much because so many times in this area the wind  direction is constantly changing. The deer also change their travel routes with the wind. Hunting from a elevated stand cuts down on your chances of wind being a factor.

The only time wind  really effects my hunting is when it is to windy to set in a tree and I only really pay attention to the wind is when I am hunting from the ground.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DanD said:

Never forget the toilet paper....

I can't speak for everyone but this is the most important thing in my pack.

As for my obvious #1 rule: go where the deer are. Hunting highly pressured public land makes for a very poor success rate.

For me regardless of the hunting weapon I am using when it comes to Deer and Varmints the wind and how it is blowing is the main determining factor in how I go about establishing a hunt plan each time I hit the timber. The nose of these animals is their number one defense.

Al

Edited by airedale

23 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You guys really shit in the woods that much? I can only remember one time where I knew I was in trouble. I miss those socks LOL.

I used to fight it when I was younger, now I embrace it. Being in the woods puts the mind at peace and with a little morning coffee, it's inevitable 97% of the time. Plus it beats the view from a normal bathroom.

Still have a bucket list goal of shooting a deer mid #2 :) 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You guys really shit in the woods that much? I can only remember one time where I knew I was in trouble. I miss those socks LOL.

Without too much detail let's just say that every morning I have a cup of coffee and then things happen. On hunting mornings I'm out of the house quickly, drinking coffee in the car. The moment I get to my spot that TP is getting used. And i do mean every single time.

Edited by Core

10 minutes ago, Core said:

Without too much detail let's just say that every morning I have a cup of coffee and then things happen. On hunting mornings I'm out of the house quickly, drinking coffee in the car. The moment I get to my spot that TP is getting used. And i do mean every single time.

My buddy is the EXACT same way.  He figured out he is lactose intolerant and it was the creamer in the coffee.  Drinks it black now and has no prob. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

I tend to agree with Buckmaster. Practice is most important for being able to make the shot when the time comes. As far as wind.. I pay attention to it but don't let it affect my hunting to much because so many times in this area the wind  direction is constantly changing. The deer also change their travel routes with the wind. Hunting from a elevated stand cuts down on your chances of wind being a factor.

The only time wind  really effects my hunting is when it is to windy to set in a tree and I only really pay attention to the wind is when I am hunting from the ground.

I gotta agree in most of my spots wind is well down the list. I hunt a bunch of suburban places and the deer are a lot more tolerant than if I was in the Adirondacks. Don't get me wrong I practice very good scent control but the deer where I hunt also don't always travel into the wind. If they did they would all be gone to the west!

• Like 2