Digging up deer head-Euro mount and aging deer by teeth

BuckNutts

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I did one this year ,I'll never do it again .

Trim away as much flesh as possible.  Simmer it (outside) to soften things up.  De-brain and scrape remaining flesh.  Wrap antler bases in plastic wrap and tin foil.  Soak in oxi-clean.  

7 pt 19.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Trim away as much flesh as possible.  Simmer it (outside) to soften things up.  De-brain and scrape remaining flesh.  Wrap antler bases in plastic wrap and tin foil.  Soak in oxi-clean.  

7 pt 19.jpg

I always boil mine ,the one I buried sat longer then it should have so I buried it . All the teeth were falling out ,the smell won't come off of it.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I always boil mine ,the one I buried sat longer then it should have so I buried it . All the teeth were falling out ,the smell won't come off of it.

Yea... boiling doesnt take that long, and you have more control.  As gross as it is scooping cooked brain out of the skull base... dealing with a rotten decaying head seems worse. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, johnplav said:

Yea... boiling doesnt take that long, and you have more control.  As gross as it is scooping cooked brain out of the skull base... dealing with a rotten decaying head seems worse. 

That's why I didn't want to boil. If you leave it in the ground long enough, the bugs will clean it to the bone. Many people like to dig it up a month or so later and its still cold, so the bugs haven't really gotten to work yet. I cant imagine slurrying up some brains and then digging them out lol 

Understand wanting to do a Euro skull mount, but doing it via the grave-robber method is way beyond my queasiness factor.

Am I missing something? When the guy removes the bucket from over the mummified skull, isn't the end of one main beam missing? Unlike the buck's rack as shown when shot or prepared.... Hummm?

Edited by nyslowhand

i've been trying different ways. I've "boiled" some different ways and i've got an 8 pointer of mine partially buried under a tote. works best no matter the method, if you cut as much of it off as possible.

for the jawbone aging there's a bit more to it than what he said. if you take it for how he presented it and nothing more then you're going to have mixed results. i'd be on the fence with that jawbone if that deer was 2.5 or 3.5 yrs old. it's georgia though and not here. i've seen deviations in wear of the dentine which is why you have to look at other stuff too. also why people shoot down the method.

8 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've been trying different ways. I've "boiled" some different ways and i've got an 8 pointer of mine partially buried under a tote. works best no matter the method, if you cut as much of it off as possible.

for the jawbone aging there's a bit more to it than what he said. if you take it for how he presented it and nothing more then you're going to have mixed results. i'd be on the fence with that jawbone if that deer was 2.5 or 3.5 yrs old. it's georgia though and not here. i've seen deviations in wear of the dentine which is why you have to look at other stuff too. also why people shoot down the method.

I believe it was one of the THP guys shot a deer last year that was around 12 years old . They sent a tooth in and they slice the tooth and count the rings like a tree. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I believe it was one of the THP guys shot a deer last year that was around 12 years old . They sent a tooth in and they slice the tooth and count the rings like a tree. 

cementum annuli analysis. we do that with bucks to fine tune our tooth wear method. it'll get you a practical age though say 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 at the very least. we've gotten pretty accurate by pairing the two. otherwise there's no way to know if you're using the wear and replacement method correctly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Understand wanting to do a Euro skull mount, but doing it via the grave-robber method is way beyond my queasiness factor.

Am I missing something? When the guy removes the bucket from over the mummified skull, isn't the end of one main beam missing? Unlike the buck's rack as shown when shot or prepared.... Hummm?

Bad camera angle. It was fully intact, with nothing gross about it

6 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

It is the method game wardens use at check stations to age deer for records of harvest. Its pretty foolproof up to about 3.5. As mentioned, fawns will have less than 6 teeth. A 1.5 yr old will have a temporary premolar and at 2.5 they will have a permanent premolar. 

Tooth ware, in my opinion can be misleading. I think a deer that lives in a habitat with a lot of sandy, or rocky soils will show more tooth ware sooner

Edited by BuckNutts

It is the method game wardens use at check stations to age deer for records of harvest. Its pretty foolproof up to about 3.5. As mentioned, fawns will have less than 6 teeth. A 1.5 yr old will have a temporary premolar and at 2.5 they will have a permanent premolar. 

Tooth ware, in my opinion can be misleading. I think a deer that lives in a habitat with a lot of sandy, or rocky soils will show more tooth ware sooner
A yearling deer taken later in the season wont always have three cusps to the third premolar. Itll look just like a 2.5 yr old with two cusps but with no dentine showing on some teeth and the premolars will be pearly white with no staining.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I took a deer head an put it in an eel pot and threw it in the harbor for a couple weeks. Worked fairly well...  other than the ungodly rotten harbor bottom smell.... that only lasted a few years.  lamo  

Won't do that again either. 

• Haha 1

I took a deer head an put it in an eel pot and threw it in the harbor for a couple weeks. Worked fairly well...  other than the ungodly rotten harbor bottom smell.... that only lasted a few years.  lamo  

Won't do that again either. 

Now that was an interesting idea. Is an eelpot like a crab pot??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...