I had one of those weekends in the woods that you just can't explain to people who don't hunt

ApexerER

I had an exceptional weekend in the woods this past weekend and I never even drew my bow back. Saturday morning I sat on an oak ridge, that has an overgrown field at the top of the ridge and all the way around the bottom of the ridge is very thick brush with very few mature trees and a creek running at the bottom. I have sat here before but not very often because the ladder stand we had in there was a cheapo and it was very uncomfortable, so even though it was a good spot I didn't spend much time there. We replaced that stand with a  good one this summer so the sit is much more enjoyable. On my way in I bumped what I would guess was 5 or 6 deer off the ridge. Not blowing or anything but I could see the shadows and hear them trotting off. Around 1st light I had a single horned spike that took me a while to realize it wasn't a doe come in. He was my buddy for the whole weekend. He was around 75% of the time I was in the stand. I saw 4 other deer that came and went to eat acorns. There was a gray squirrel that would cross the creek on a log, go up a tree and then get chased out by a red squirrel. The red squirrel would run him back across the creek and then chatter at him to stay out of his spot. That gray squirrel would go back again after 5 minutes and get chased out again. This happened over and over, I had to keep from laughing out loud at the two of them. I left the stand around 11, met up with the guys and got something to eat and was back in around 2:30. Walking back in there was a deer under the stand. It was the single horned spike that had been around me all morning. He trotted off and I climbed up. It took him about 10 minutes to come back and hang out with me for the afternoon. There were so many squirrels on this ridge you had to pay attention because the squirrels were loud and the deer were somehow silent. 4 more deer came and went feeding on the acorns but that little spike never left. Not sure how he didn't weigh 500 lbs because he ate all day. At 5:45 I heard something behind me that didn't sound like a squirrel and I slowly turned my head over my right shoulder. A huge buck (I said Holy #$%&) to myself was walking the creek bank on the opposite side just outside the thick brush. I slowly turned back to grab my bow, my heart racing and slowly turned back. He was 90* to me at that point and I was trying to figure out how I could stand and turn as he was about 35 yds away with a little sapling off a tree covering him up for a shot. He was stopped there and I thought he was going to cross the creek and come right to me. He changed his mind and continued the path he was on, walking right out of my life, but what an awesome encounter. I slipped out of the stand with my little buddy still hanging around and walked back to my truck thinking about what a great day it was. 

Yesterday morning I decided to go back to the same stand. I wanted to be in there earlier hoping I didn't bump anything off the ridge so I planned to be in there by 6. I took a wrong step crossing what we call the mud pit in the dark and my right foot went into water up to my thigh and I tried to get out of there to quickly my left leg went in up past my knee and I had to catch myself with my right arm which also got soaked almost to my shoulder. Good thing I had my heated vest and jacket strapped to my back pack for the walk in, they didn't get wet. I again bumped deer off the ridge and climbed the stand. Took my shirt off and put my heated vest and jacket on wondering how long it would be until I was freezing. That little one horned spike was right in back in there before I could even see well enough to see it was him. He once again hung out the whole time I was in the stand. I got too watch two little buck spar for 5 minutes up on top of the ridge and saw 3 more doe, one of which ended up bedding down about 25 yds behind me. It was a great morning but I had to call it at 9:30 because I was wet up to my crotch and freezing. To bad I get wet because I didn't want to leave. Next weekend can't get here soon enough.....and to anybody that doesn't hunt....this is why we do it...

• Like 18

15 yrs ago or so, I would have shot that one horn spike.  But like you I end up watching deer instead of shooting.  I'm by no means a trophy hunter, or only hunt the biggest in my area. Never had a "target" buck. Something about sitting back and watching the critters do their thing is amazing. 

Hopefully, your next sit is as enjoyable as the last.  

• Like 1

Some of my most memorable hunts were when I shot nothing.

Great story! It gave me a big ol' smile! That really was a great hunt for you! Even the getting wet part, will definately be remembered as much as your little spike buddy, and the nutty critters.

A story that most all outdoorsmen can easily relate to. And appreciate.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mowin said:

15 yrs ago or so, I would have shot that one horn spike.  But like you I end up watching deer instead of shooting.  I'm by no means a trophy hunter, or only hunt the biggest in my area. Never had a "target" buck. Something about sitting back and watching the critters do their thing is amazing. 

Hopefully, your next sit is as enjoyable as the last.  

I would have been very happy to shoot that little spike much less than 15 years ago. I believe this is my 6th year bow hunting and it has opened up a whole new world to me as far as hunting goes. I wish I started it years ago. You see so many more deer and they are relaxed and natural most of the time. It has taught me patience in my shot with the gun as well as the bow. I love it and had no idea what I was missing. I should have listened to my buddies that have been bow hunting for years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric J said:

How Big was the Huge Buck?

I don't know how many points he was.....He was at least a giant 8 with G2's that I am guessing were at least a foot tall. He was big enough that I instantly started shaking and said holy $%&*! The biggest deer I have ever seen in the woods is the 9 pt in my avatar...I said Holy $%&* when I saw him too....I think this one may have been even bigger, I am pretty sure he was taller....It was an awesome encounter... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I don't know how many points he was.....He was at least a giant 8 with G2's that I am guessing were at least a foot tall. He was big enough that I instantly started shaking and said holy $%&*! The biggest deer I have ever seen in the woods is the 9 pt in my avatar...I said Holy $%&* when I saw him too....I think this one may have been even bigger, I am pretty sure he was taller....It was an awesome encounter... 

Awesome! And the best part is... even if you didn't see him.... it was a great day in the Woods!

• Like 1