Tree saddles, lighted nocks and Blackhorn 209

stubborn1VT

23 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Yes, tornado f4. I love it too. I’ve got about 20 bolts, an extra pack of red hot broad heads and 2 packs of lighted nocks, and a pack of capture nocks. I treat em like gold, lol. I haven’t really searched but somebody must be supporting them aftermarket-wise.

i have the thunder hawk and man is it a shooter.   I use muzzy broadheads.  Didnt even know they had their own broad heads.  I have a buddy that has a tornado and loves it.  We both stocked up on the red hot bolts and nocks. 

• Like 1

I too watched part of a video last night. Like anything I am sure when you try it and get comfortable it will be just that...comfortable. I am intimidated by the rope work and leaning away from the tree. Hell, I lose every other Christmas tree from the roof of the car due to poor knots and enjoy a quick snooze with a tree as a backrest.
To each their own.
Can you also climb with just those spike that lumberjacks use as opposed to sticks or screws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s not really any rope work; it’s prusik knots with carabiners. If you’re currently using a climber, you’re likely using the same rope as your safety harness tether.

The lean is rock solid. I dislike heights, but in the saddle I am leaning from and connected to the tree with my center of gravity. I felt so much more unsure and shaky leaning from a climber, or hang on, in which my harness is loosely tethered above me. With the saddle, the line is always tight, and it’s been a sense of comfort to me knowing that. It’s kinda like (and I think I heard something similar on a video) a harness stops your fall. The saddle prevents a fall.

As far as the spikes go, Eberhardt uses them and screw ins, I think. I can’t use them, because I can’t damage the trees...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I really like the idea of being able to wear the harness in to hunt.  It would be quiet and light.  I am put off by the cost of the gear, which is why I would like to figure out as much DIY hacks as possible.  There's lots of info online and on the Youtube, but it bothers me that I don't know a single person who saddle hunts around here.  

I have worn a rock climbing harness for doing tree work and found it comfortable and secure, but I was always moving.  I worry that it would be uncomfortable for just lounging in.  Maybe that's the advantage of the pricey stuff like Tetherd etc.  I guess I will have to do some more research.

Thanks for your input everyone.  

I really like the idea of being able to wear the harness in to hunt.  It would be quiet and light.  I am put off by the cost of the gear, which is why I would like to figure out as much DIY hacks as possible.  There's lots of info online and on the Youtube, but it bothers me that I don't know a single person who saddle hunts around here.  
I have worn a rock climbing harness for doing tree work and found it comfortable and secure, but I was always moving.  I worry that it would be uncomfortable for just lounging in.  Maybe that's the advantage of the pricey stuff like Tetherd etc.  I guess I will have to do some more research.
Thanks for your input everyone.  

There’s a whole saddle hunting forum and they’ve got a DIY section. My buddy just started with the saddle this season I haven’t caught up with him yet to watch him in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No thoughts on  tree saddles. Another Parker crossbow user. Bought 6 of their lighted nocks and 12 bolts last year when I heard they were shutting down. I can't see the bolts when it is early or late in the day. The lighted bolts make all the difference to me.

i switched to Blackhorn this year. I notice that it is much cleaner. It shot 3" higher at a 100 yards in my Encore than an equivalent charge of T7.

I too watched part of a video last night. Like anything I am sure when you try it and get comfortable it will be just that...comfortable. I am intimidated by the rope work and leaning away from the tree. Hell, I lose every other Christmas tree from the roof of the car due to poor knots and enjoy a quick snooze with a tree as a backrest.
To each their own.
Can you also climb with just those spike that lumberjacks use as opposed to sticks or screws?

Dude I’m way to fat to climb with those spikes

• Haha 1

I'm using a saddle setup this year for the first time. Aerohunter saddle with wild edge stepps and a ring of steps instead of a platform.  Never had a mobile rig before but I really like this setup.  Yes it does take time to get up the tree but that depends on how you choose to climb( climbing spikes, sticks, steps, bolts, ropes, part of a climber, etc.) Personally I use 6 stepps and a vertical linesmans system and have my feet around 20 ft. The saddle setup itself is very customizable for comfort whether you want to sit or lean, long bridge or short, high tether or lower, plus the microadjusters on the saddle itself.  I wear my saddle in with one pouch on it for gear and an alps quickdraw pack with a custom magnetic holster for my steps and some other normal hunting gear.  That all weighs in at 21 pounds but there is no platform or clanging of sticks or snagging on branches while walking to worry about.  I have used it enough this year to say that ,no, the ropes do not get in the way of anything and you are leaning back enough in the saddle to where you're not just staring at a tree the whole time..I have to fully reach out my arm to grab my bow which is hanging on the side of the tree so there is space between you and the tree.

• Like 3

I have hunting books from the 1980s with mention of the tree saddle idea they been around a long time and there is a reason they never got popular.  It's not really the most ideal or comfortable way to hunt .
You have a tree and ropes in your face don't think that's  going to be uncomfortable after a few hours  and get in the way .
Many people buy those use it once or twice and never use it again .    Its definitely not for everyone.

You’ve obviously never hunted from a saddle! The point of this thread was to get info and advice from people who have used them not from someone who read a 40 year old book.

There is zero chance that a saddle set up is faster then my climber. 

I would put money on proving you wrong.

I don’t know what climber you’re have but I have lone wolf a summit a X stand and a ol’ man and none of them as fast as my saddle, spikes are the fastest for me but you can’t use them everywhere, even with sticks I’m faster than I ever was with any climber.

• Like 1

There is zero downside to a lighted knock, I wouldn’t hunt without them.

Blackhorn is the cleanest, most consistent and most reliable black powder replacement made. The only downside is that some guns won’t shoot it.

A saddle is the safest, quietest, fastest, lightest, most comfortable, most mobile and easiest to carry method of hunting from a tree that is available today. I don’t know of anyone that’s tried one that went back to a climber. I know for an absolute fact I will never use a climber again and haven’t since I bought my saddle. There’s not a tree that’s big enough to support my weight that I can’t use my saddle in, I no longer have to find the tree I just need to find the spot.

Edit: there is one downside to the saddle I have found and that is that it’s impossible to take a shit out of the stand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't buy the saddle being faster for even a second. It may have certain perks but from the base of the tree to 25' there's absolutely no way you can do it faster than I can with my climber. I've watched dozens of YouTube videos on saddle hunting and it takes them an average of I'd say 10-15 minutes to get fully set up. I can be to 25' in less than 3 minutes and that's in a hunting scenario not racing. Maybe with spikes you could be a lot faster but with climbing sticks, zero chance. I've done the climbing sticks to a prehung stand before and it's still not even as fast as a climber with someone who knows what they're doing. Maybe I'm just faster than most being that I've lived almost exclusively in mine for the last 12 years?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would put money on proving you wrong.

I don’t know what climber you’re have but I have lone wolf a summit a X stand and a ol’ man and none of them as fast as my saddle, spikes are the fastest for me but you can’t use them everywhere, even with sticks I’m faster than I ever was with any climber.

Timbertall climber ,I'm not arguing with you though ,I've read enough of your post to know that you're the best at alot of stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

There is zero downside to a lighted knock, I wouldn’t hunt without them.

Blackhorn is the cleanest, most consistent and most reliable black powder replacement made. The only downside is that some guns won’t shoot it.

A saddle is the safest, quietest, fastest, lightest, most comfortable, most mobile and easiest to carry method of hunting from a tree that is available today. I don’t know of anyone that’s tried one that went back to a climber. I know for an absolute fact I will never use a climber again and haven’t since I bought my saddle. There’s not a tree that’s big enough to support my weight that I can’t use my saddle in, I no longer have to find the tree I just need to find the spot.

Edit: there is one downside to the saddle I have found and that is that it’s impossible to take a shit out of the stand.

Well I guess we can shut the forum down now

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I don't buy the saddle being faster for even a second. It may have certain perks but from the base of the tree to 25' there's absolutely no way you can do it faster than I can with my climber. I've watched dozens of YouTube videos on saddle hunting and it takes them an average of I'd say 10-15 minutes to get fully set up. I can be to 25' in less than 3 minutes and that's in a hunting scenario not racing. Maybe with spikes you could be a lot faster but with climbing sticks, zero chance. I've done the climbing sticks to a prehung stand before and it's still not even as fast as a climber with someone who knows what they're doing. Maybe I'm just faster than most being that I've lived almost exclusively in mine for the last 12 years?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Friday I got to my tree at 6:33 and was sitting at @ 18', arrow nocked at 6:40. Thats on a new to me tree with my Summit. And I truly wasnt rushing. Someday I will try the saddle setup just for the variety of trees it opens up to hunt from but like you I dont believe its faster. Those guys arent ready to begin their ascent in 5 minutes

• Like 2

Timbertall climber ,I'm not arguing with you though ,I've read enough of your post to know that you're the best at alot of stuff.

Timbertall made a hell of a climber, too bad they had to close shop. Don’t think I’m the best at anything just someone who spends 80+ days a year deer hunting and spends a lot of time preparing.

Timbertall made a hell of a climber, too bad they had to close shop. Don’t think I’m the best at anything just someone who spends 80+ days a year deer hunting and spends a lot of time preparing.

80 days ! WOW. Do you hunt other states ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

80 days ! WOW. Do you hunt other states ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Sometimes, but no real plans this year unless I shoot my buck in the ADKS in time to head to head to Maine or New Hampshire. If there’s snow I will hunt Mass’s late muzzleloader in the birkshires.

Didn’t count it but sept 27- through I think it’s the 17th of dec is close to 80 days.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Shooting nocturnals with compound bow. It’s positive reinforcement to see where you hit and retrieve arrow then being able to check blood. I see no negatives behind them. 

They are a must on my compound. I think I use nocturnals also.

My xbow I use whichever ones came on the lighted decimator "bolts". However, dicks/field stream is now selling a new variant of lighted decimator arrows and they are GARBAGE. The nocks do not work! They have a stupid little plastic sleeve so that they can be turned on with the finger, which is great, except they no longer turn on when fired. I bought three a few weeks ago. Total trash.

i have nothing against any of those. i haven't used my muzzleloader much in recent years but did pick up some Blackhorn 209. it made sense as the pellets i have are getting older (less consistent) and Triple7 has me horrified to leave it in the barrel for any length of time. i don't need another breech plug for my TC Prohunter just need to make sure it's cleaned out well.

lighted nocks i'm not against. i don't like less FOC and have enough 100 grain heads to last a really long time to offset that weight. added cost isn't thrilling me either. I've gotten away just fine without them though. I do like visual impact you get but almost all of the time your focused and see your arrow path or hair get disturbed. lighted nock or not it's still not 100% if you've shot enough deer with a bow to realize shot can be off a little from where you thought you saw it was.

saddle system is the least bit appealing to me, despite i see multiple advantages. i can't argue it's definitely lighter if you pick the right step system to climb.  i do agree the mobility for a shot almost all the way around the tree is there and more so then with a conventional stand. jury's still out if a given individual has the skill to move that much undetected though.  tree with low branches is fair game with saddle system versus my climber. is cost isn't even close. saddle system with steps or sticks is at least twice the cost my climber and aftermarket harness was. i hate so many parts to a saddle setup too.  my climber there's less parts fall out of my pack or for me to drop. anyone have any idea how long a saddle harness lasts before you're supposed to replace it? it can't be different than a regular harness.

I say we have a Gtg after the season and have chris and buckmaster climb two trees side by side. I have a feeling they both are good at it. I go slow with my climber to keep the noise down,heck,it takes me a couple of minutes to get the two sections on the tree.

Betting on who wins is allowed...we just have to agree on a location.

Edited by BowmanMike

11 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I say we have a Gtg after the season and have chris and buckmaster climb two trees side by side. I have a feeling they both are good at it. I go slow with my climber to keep the noise down,heck,it takes me a couple of minutes to get the two sections on the tree.

Betting on who wins is allowed...we just have to agree on a location.

honestly whether it takes 3 minutes or 15 minutes does it really make a damn bit of difference? lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You’ve obviously never hunted from a saddle! The point of this thread was to get info and advice from people who have used them not from someone who read a 40 year old book.

I made one of those things about 20 years  ago didn't like it then and now that I'm older wouldn't  like it now . 

If it was so great,  40 years ago when hunting was more popular then it is now,  more people would have used them .

That being said   if you  absolutely need the lightest way to hunt from a tree for what ever reason and don't  mind  having obstructions in front of you such as a  tree and ropes .

Then have at it . 

Everyone is different what you like is not necessary what someone else likes .

images.jpeg-12.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

I made one of those things about 20 years  ago didn't like it then and now that I'm older wouldn't  like it now . 

If it was so great,  40 years ago when hunting was more popular then it is now,  more people would have used them .

That being said   if you  absolutely need the lightest way to hunt from a tree for what ever reason and don't  mind  having obstructions in front of you such as a  tree and ropes .

Then have at it . 

Everyone is different what you like is not necessary what someone else likes .

images.jpeg-12.jpg

i think you're missing the idea that in recent years they've become much more refined. you couldn't pay me to hunt to the best property in the country out of what you posted.

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i think you're missing the idea that in recent years they've become much more refined. you couldn't pay me to hunt to the best property in the country out of what you posted.

straps cushions and ropes    only  difference maybe got stronger same concept  have to.find it but before the tree saddle, was another company that made those it went  bankrupt I think .