From Road

Paula

I was given permission to hunt close by to me. Its great except that there is not alot of woods on it and what there is close to the rd. How far away from rd do i have to be? I find in book 500 ft. for dwelling and you can not shoot on or over road way. wish i can post the map but i don't know address.

3 people 3 different answers. When I have questions about hunting regs I call an ECO and ask. There's an ECO roster in the back of the regs book. Pick one in your area and call they're usually more than happy to help out.

You can get get different responses / interpretations from the ECOs also !

Questions of this nature where I suspect that I might get opinion rather than an explicit written law, I usually like to have responses on some form of written hard-copy, such as a printed out e-mail or letter. The thought being that at least something in writing shows intent to accomodate the law. Would it actually do any good? ..... I don't know, but it sure should be better than internet forum opinions, or relying on some phone call to the DEC that can't be reproduced.

Here's a legal definition of a highway.....Now I know on most town single roads it's 30ft...because our town chewed up 3 wht pines that were 40 ft from center highway...I made them come out and measure...then gave them 2 options...replace or go to court and really pay...they replaced...

WAC 468-34-110

Definition of terms.

Unless otherwise stated, words and phrases used herein shall have the following meaning:

(1) Highway - A general term denoting a street, road or public way for purposes of vehicular travel, including the entire area within the right of way.

I sent a email out this morning. I am thinking of safety of me and others and don't want to do anything illegal.After really looking at map and remembering what i seen other day i am thinking of moving back in field, just checking everything out

They will probably tell you what others have said here.....outside the right-of-way. Now for the disclaimer. many roads have varying distances for a ROW. some places have a set distance off centerline...other ROW's wander based on the land assumed by the road owner....(State, county, town). A quick trip to the office to look at the tax maps will clearly show what impacts are at that particuliar lot.

the ditch may not be the legal right of way..the actual it will be on file. i live on a road that is 30' wide drivable, ditches are on both sides. the right of way is for 49 1/2 ' so you would need to be about 5' past the ditch to be legal. of course you cant shoot across a public road or from it (this includes the right of way). it s good to know when the town mowded down some trees i planted to screen a field that they were on my land and not the right of way..they had to replace them. i have a stand that faces back into my property about 20 yards off the road(its well concielled) and it produces many deer that are coming to cross the road. How many of you live in a town/village? the trees between the side walk and curb are usually on the right of way and the town can/will cut them down for public safety or road widening. I remember a big stink in lancaster ny a few years where this exactly happened.resident thought they owned the trees but didn't

Edited by G-Man

This is the response i got back today. Same as what was said here.

You cannot shoot from a public highway or across a public highway. This includes standing on the maintained portion of the road such as the gravel on the edge of the road or mowed area along the dge of the road.

They will probably tell you what others have said here.....outside the right-of-way. Now for the disclaimer. many roads have varying distances for a ROW. some places have a set distance off centerline...other ROW's wander based on the land assumed by the road owner....(State, county, town). A quick trip to the office to look at the tax maps will clearly show what impacts are at that particuliar lot.

That's what the ECO told us at my son’s hunter safety curse. On the other side of the ditch/mowed area shooting away from the road.