Carpal tunnel surgery

rachunter

Anyone ever get carpal tunnel surgery done?I’ve had carpal tunnel for a few years now and it’s taking it’s toll on me. Just wanted to know if it interfered with shooting a bow or gun?I really have no choice but to get the surgery at this point. I’ve also heard it comes back in time? I got it from the way I sleep. A good set of braces corrected that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had both wrists done in my 20's. I was so bad I couldn't turn my alarm off in the morning when I woke up. Since I've had it done I hear they don't cut you open nearly as much as I was about 13 years ago. Immediately after surgery the numbness was gone which was awesome. The part that stinks about my operation was that I never got my hand strength back and to this day my hands will get sore from using my hands a lot during the day for hammering, wrenching and that sort of thing. Good luck.

Using tools is the biggest problem. I can’t even screw a screw in without dropping the screwdriver. If I use a chainsaw or sawsall without braces on the pain shoots up into my neck. My doctor wants me to go into Manhattan for laser surgery. I’m not sure I want to get it if it’s not 100%

An old co-worker of mine had it done.  I a policy normally where I don't become facebook friends with people at work when we still work together.  While we weren't really that close, we did become facebook friends afterwards.  Turns out he's a bit of a gun nut and hits the range often.  All those years together and I never knew.  He seems to do fine based on his postings of his range activities.  He's not a hunter and doesn't shoot the bow.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 8:15 AM, rachunter said:

Anyone ever get carpal tunnel surgery done?I’ve had carpal tunnel for a few years now and it’s taking it’s toll on me.

I am sure you realize that carpal tunnel is nerve related. I had a severe case about 15 years ago in both hands. I met with a surgeon and he ordered a "nerve test" that was pretty painful. Since it was determined that my right had was worse than my left he recommended doing surgery on that one first. The incision was very small, the surgery was short, and not painful at all.

It was the best thing I ever did. The recovery was very short and within a short period of time I could use my right had as good as ever. The best part of the whole thing was after surgery on my right hand the pain in my left hand also went away and I never had to have surgery on my left hand.

To this day I can still shoot a bow, gun, and am able to use any hand tool without any discomfort.

I would recommend it to anyone and believe the key to success is finding the right surgeon that has experience in that type of procedure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well got my left hand done today. Great doctor and staff felt comfortable through the whole preceder. I’ve been home for three hours now and my thumb hasn’t gotten numb. Going to give it a few weeks and get the right hand done. Hopefully I’ll be good to go for turkey season.
3fdfef326d2aae3dd63d598f71fd6c5e.jpg
Total time in surgery was 22 minutes.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

Well got my left hand done today. Great doctor and staff felt comfortable through the whole preceder. I’ve been home for three hours now and my thumb hasn’t gotten numb. Going to give it a few weeks and get the right hand done.

You'll be glad you did and who knows.....maybe the right one won't need it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

You'll be glad you did and who knows.....maybe the right one won't need it

No such luck. I waited to long and had 75% blockage in both wrists.

If anyone thinks they have it don't wait get the test.The longer you wait the more muscle  strength you'll lose.

My doctor laughed at me when I ask that question.He said there's no real way of knowing.Did your wife get the Two point discrimination test? The test gives the blockage percentage.Does she know how she got it?

My biggest hurdle now is building muscle strength and wearing soft braces while working. I got it from 25 years of driving tractor/trailers and heavy equipment.