Outdoors Folder Knife

dbHunterNY

Kicking around the Benchmade sight and this one caught my attention
https://www.benchmade.com/15008-org.html

image.png.205756ae46f6c2963255722b8dc601e0.png
I saw that one and the 15200 altitude that is stripped with almost nothing for scales. Like both in orange. Also like gripping machine into spine up toward tip. When gutting I put my index finger goes there to zip open intestinal cavity without hitting stomach or anything else. Also when reaching up to cut free trachea, esophagus, lungs, and heart. Have better sense of where the knife tip is in proximity to your other hand grabbing the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I saw that one and the 15200 altitude that is stripped with almost nothing for scales. Like both in orange. Also like gripping machine into spine up toward tip. When gutting I put my index finger goes there to zip open intestinal cavity without hitting stomach or anything else. Also when reaching up to cut free trachea, esophagus, lungs, and heart. Have better sense of where the knife tip is in proximity to your other hand grabbing the stuff.

I'm sure that short, drop-point blade offers great control for field dressing and skinning.  I use a Buck ranger skinner with a 3 1/8" blade and I love it.

skinner.jpg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Topic drifted from folders to fixed blades but yea... I just picked up a Becnhmade altitude in orange. Comes in a kydex holster with S90V steel. Should be arriving in the mail eventually. Cabelas only used for the image.
d1c38b77c13a23126359d953f79a7837.jpg

On 12/15/2019 at 8:41 AM, airedale said:

You have got that right, I have collected more than a few myself but for many years the one I go to and carry most times when hunting is an old USA made Western two blade, nothing fancy but nice quality, the old gal can hold a razor edge and with the two different style blades handle all the field dressing and skinning chores I run into no matter what type of game I am hunting.

Al

2019-12-15_083226.png

I love Western knives, and they are very overlooked when collecting. They are well made, good-looking knives. I've got 4-5 of them hanging around.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Topic drifted from folders to fixed blades but yea... I just picked up a Becnhmade altitude in orange. Comes in a kydex holster with S90V steel. Should be arriving in the mail eventually. Cabelas only used for the image.
d1c38b77c13a23126359d953f79a7837.jpg&key=a28b88a7746da16212814be8e0c00663b5b9c49b169a04f68b3b7bb5c4fbebd7

If they made that with a 2” blade and a shorter handle I would have to buy one of those. A 3” blade with 7 1/2” overall is too big for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have left that off, and then anyone who said "Who is Bill Heavey?" could be removed from the forum permanently  

He is about the only reason I don’t tell my father-in-law to stop my subscription (he’s been sending that to me since I married his daughter 18 years ago)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Now we’re talking! Take an inch off each end and it would be perfect!!

first thing i did with it was see if it'd stuff well in a leg cargo pocket and chest pocket. i never bring a pack with me even on public land or somewhere new. both it and sheath are so thin it leaves plenty of room to spare.  i suppose you could get away with taking an inch off the handle and just have your pinky floating in air. blade i wouldn't want to make much smaller though. for years i've used those little lansky pocket folders i posted in this thread. seemed too small for cutting out the ahole and when quartering deer in the dark not in some barn or shop where you're setup to do so.

first thing i did with it was see if it'd stuff well in a leg cargo pocket and chest pocket. i never bring a pack with me even on public land or somewhere new. both it and sheath are so thin it leaves plenty of room to spare.  i suppose you could get away with taking an inch off the handle and just have your pinky floating in air. blade i wouldn't want to make much smaller though. for years i've used those little lansky pocket folders i posted in this thread. seemed too small for cutting out the ahole and when quartering deer in the dark not in some barn or shop where you're setup to do so.

I actually had a custom sheath made for my old folder out of leather so I can hang it on my belt but it sits in my back pocket. It’s a very nice setup but I always carried a small folder in my pocket as well and just started gutting and quartering with it and never used it so I quit carrying it all together. But I do like the idea of having another good fixed blade.

As for cutting out the bung holeo I think 2 1/2” is absolutely perfect because you can’t cut too deep, just burry it to the handle and go to town.