Scope question

sbuff

I had a weaver 3x9x40 grand slam rocky mtn elk edition scope go bad . It wont hold a zero, it was a 400 doller plus  scope a few years ago. Apparently Bushnell is now handling Weavers lifetime warranty issues.  So I sent my scope to bushnell with notes as to what the issue was and to contact me before any work took place . My scope arrived at their factory on 11/22. I didn't hear anything from bushnell and yesterday on my door step is a new scope . BUT it is a bushnell trophy 3x9x40 scope. Value is 149.00 and I found it even cheaper on line .  The fit ,feel,finish and glass doesn't  even seem close to the same class as the weaver . I called bushnell yesterday after being on hold for 52 minutes and stated my issue . The lady was very polite and said if the replacement scope didnt meet my expectations look to find one that does. The issue is bushnell doesn't offer much in the 3x9x40 configuration and most of their scopes are geared to long range and AR platforms . I had asked her if she would send a second trophy model scope at 149 value to compensate some and she said no. What should one do ????

Edited by sbuff

I have watched over time the scope manufacturer's landscape having changed dramatically especially in recent years they are in constant upheaval with companies dropping out or getting bought up by big conglomerates, sometimes as in Redfield's case for the good but many times for the bad.

Weaver, Bushnell, Simmons, Burris, Tasco, Redfield, Bausch & Lomb, Unertl, Thompson Center, Weatherby and recently Nikon to name a few have called it quits or the original company was bought out and their lines were replaced many times by a lot of cheap Chinese junk. All those companies put very good warranties on their products many "lifetime" but as the OP reports years down the road if problems arise it may be tough to obtain satisfaction. I have quite a few of the old model scopes and will probably be holding my hand on my butt if one craps out.

What I would do if I was you Sbuff is to take the very best scope you can obtain even if it is not exactly what you are wanting. You may be able to use it down the road or make a good trade with someone that can, at least you will not be taking a screwing monetarily.

One of the main reasons I always try to go with a Leupold for most of my get serious firearms, there is something to be said for a long proven track record.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Well that does suck, Vista outdoors owns Weaver  , Bushnell etc . They actually own many outdoor brands . I would try and call again and talk to a manager and see if you can get a better warranty scope. If they won’t work with you, I would cut my losses and buy another scope from Burris , Leupold  or Vortex . 

Nikon is getting out of scopes from what I’ve read, so you’d probably want to stear clear of them. 
Just think about all the guys that own nikons now and if they go bad, wonder what kind of nightmare they’ll have with warranties.
Good luck and keep us up to date on what happens, your bad experience  might save another guy down the road. 

Edited by rob-c

I sent a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 back as it was fogging up. Sent it back and one follow up call by them to me asking if the Nitro would be ok. It arrived very quick. It now sits on my ML and it’s really nice. As far as them taking over Weavers warranty I’m not sure how they go about it. But was very pleased on how they handled my situation 

• Like 1

How old is the scope? What is their written warranty?

Friends of mine have gone through who knows how many Weavers, Bushnells, Simmons and Tascos, seems eventually they all go. Their outlook with a few of them was that they had lifetime warranties and they just send them back. To me, that is just totally unacceptable, as that could mean a very curtailed hunting season. 

You probably were lucky to get what you got...now go out and buy a Leupold. I have owned four, with no problems with any of them, the oldest is thirty years old, and that includes several hard rocking years of heavy 45-70 use.  If I was looking for a best deal, shop eBay or look for a factory reconditioned one (I have gotten them before from Sanchez Shooting Supply). Leupolds lifetime warranty follows the scope, not the owner.

If you need warranty use, it is the best...better yet, chances are you wont need it. 

I bought a used Leupold about 10 years ago, and before I mounted it I called them up to ask if they had a service to check over the scope first. Their response was to mail it to them, and they would go through it totally and return it to factory specs and have it back to me within a week. Wow.  As it was, I got impatient and mounted it, where it still is and is 100% Aok.

How old is the scope? What is their written warranty?
Friends of mine have gone through who knows how many Weavers, Bushnells, Simmons and Tascos, seems eventually they all go. Their outlook with a few of them was that they had lifetime warranties and they just send them back. To me, that is just totally unacceptable, as that could mean a very curtailed hunting season. 
You probably were lucky to get what you got...now go out and buy a Leupold. I have owned four, with no problems with any of them, the oldest is thirty years old, and that includes several hard rocking years of heavy 45-70 use.  If I was looking for a best deal, shop eBay or look for a factory reconditioned one (I have gotten them before from Sanchez Shooting Supply). Leupolds lifetime warranty follows the scope, not the owner.
If you need warranty use, it is the best...better yet, chances are you wont need it. 
I bought a used Leupold about 10 years ago, and before I mounted it I called them up to ask if they had a service to check over the scope first. Their response was to mail it to them, and they would go through it totally and return it to factory specs and have it back to me within a week. Wow.  As it was, I got impatient and mounted it, where it still is and is 100% Aok.
If buying second hand Leupold always confirm the serial with Leupold direct. There are a lot of counterfeit going around eBay and elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I sent a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 back as it was fogging up. Sent it back and one follow up call by them to me asking if the Nitro would be ok. It arrived very quick. It now sits on my ML and it’s really nice. As far as them taking over Weavers warranty I’m not sure how they go about it. But was very pleased on how they handled my situation 

What model nitro ?

Guess the issue is if I go bigger then 40mm objective  I then need to get taller mounts . Unreal 

Edited by sbuff

I have Leopold too and I tell you this model weaver grand slam was very comparable to a vx111 I have . Yes I sent a non working scope in under a lifetime warranty but recieved a scope of far less quality in return . Weaver is still selling scopes , after xmass I will call back to see if same model weaver can be sent to me . The customer service lady from bushnell was very polite and I by no means gave her a hard time. She said try the scope out and call us back. I guess it's a hard pill to swallow spending 400 plus but only getting 149 in return . 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

What model nitro ?
Guess the issue is if I go bigger then 40mm objective  I then need to get taller mounts . Unreal 

Wait I’m confused didn’t your original post say that she offered to let you pick a model that suited you instead of the one they sent? Honestly sounds to me like they did everything They could and you are now complaining because they don’t have a higher value scope with a 40mm lens. And then you asked them for two scopes smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I didnt want to have to get higher mounts , if they had a better quality scope with 40 objective and regular reticle i would have asked for that.  As stated she said if the replacement didnt fit my needs to look for one that does.  That was why I asked if she could send a 2nd trophy scope, 3x9x40 with a standard non illuminated reticle. I dont think a 44mm objective will work , I had low mounts that sheet of paper could just fit under the bell .

If I was complaining it would be I never received a call or offered options before a replacement was sent ,but I'm not complaining about that .

7 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I'm going to bite the bullet, based on reviews for the 3x9x40 trophy I'm going to give it a try 

Seems bushnell warranty is a very good one should there be an issue .

That "warranty" doesn't do you much good if that scope has a problem in the field now, does it?