Shotgun Hunting

upstaterifle

First thing we don’t use iron in gun barrels we use something called barrel steel there is a difference between iron and steel. Shotgun barrel mostly have a twist rate of 1 in 35 or 36 there a few with 1 in 28 rates. What this mean if you have a rate of 1/35 the rifling makes 1 full turn in 35 inches as compared to a rifle that could have a rate of 1/9. Also the rifling on a shotgun isn’t as deep.

Now for the slug has “rifling” this so called rifling primary use is to help with barrel fit, not to put a spin on the slug. It may or may not in part a spin on the slug though air going what’s left of the rifling in while in flight. What keep a rifle slug going straight is it weight forward design. When going through a rifled barrel the barrel will put rifling on the slug only where there is contact between the barrel and the slug it will still put a spin on the slug.

I have no experience I don't really know but logically, if a rifled slug goes through a rifled barrel and the rifling doesn't match, the iron barrel will bend the lead slug but wouldn't that slow down the bullet tremedously? I mean isn't it basically ripping the bullet as it's travelling down the barrel? Just asking.

Lead is softer than steel, it conforms to the barrel, not the opposite.

That agood ? i only shoot remington pumpkin balls that what i call them the only thing the box says is 16 guage slugs nothing about rifling been useing for as long as i can rember i would say if the box say rifled its for rifled bores

Not the case. Again, the ONLY shotgun slugs you cannot shoot out of a smoothbore are sabots. Any slug can be used with a rifled barrel.

• 4 weeks later...

Not the case. Again, the ONLY shotgun slugs you cannot shoot out of a smoothbore are sabots. Any slug can be used with a rifled barrel.

I bought a shot gun two years ago with a rifled barrel. The mossberg manual specifically states to not shoot rifled slugs through it. The cheapness in me had me asking questions since I did not like dropping $3 a shot on Sabots. I found a lot of different answers but decided on not risking it and decided to shoot Sabots. I had never asked the question about sabots in a smooth bore though.

Edited by screamon demon

Shooting plain slugs out of rifled barrels is ok, just realize you'll need to clean that barrel out.

As for cost, I just picked up 3" Remington Premier Copper Solid Sabot Slugs, PR12MCS, at Dicks for $15 & change, & they have a $5/box mail in rebate.. Gonna make a range trip this weekend hopefully..

Lightfield sabots actually say you can shoot them in a smoothbore on the box itself...they note best results with an improved cylinder in the smoothbore. I've shot quite a few deer with a Mossberg 500 smoothbore and the lightfield sabots using an improved cylinder. First one I ever shot was about 90 yards and DRT. Probably not the best pairing for most situation, but the lightfields can work if need be.

I no longer use them due to cost and finding the cheap (but dirty as heck) Federal Truball slugs shoot great groups out to 80 + yards.

Edited by phade

Lightfield sabots actually say you can shoot them in a smoothbore on the box itself...they note best results with an improved cylinder in the smoothbore. I've shot quite a few deer with a Mossberg 500 smoothbore and the lightfield sabots using an improved cylinder. First one I ever shot was about 90 yards and DRT. Probably not the best pairing for most situation, but the lightfields can work if need be.

I no longer use them due to cost and finding the cheap (but dirty as heck) Federal Truball slugs shoot great groups out to 80 + yards.

I used to shoot Lightfields out of my smooth bore with an IC, and they worked good. They are a hybrid sabot, which allows them to be used in smooth bore. You cant use a regular sabot, like a Remington Copper solid, Hornady SST, Winchester Premier, etc in a smooth bore gun though.

I use the Hornady SSTs out of a rifled barrel now. Nice and clean and great groups at 100 yards. Havent shot them out further yet, but Ill be seeing what they do at 200 in a week or two.

• 3 weeks later...

BPS smooth bore. Dead on at 75 yards with Federal Truball . Held a little high this year on a 95 yard shot, dropped him where he stood .I shoot a fair number of slugs, don't want to pay the price of sabots. Gander mtn . has a sale each year on them 99 cents a box after rebates. couple trips through line for the wife and I as there is a limit.

Watching fields with longer then 100 shots I'll bring the ML

BPS smooth bore. Dead on at 75 yards with Federal Truball . Held a little high this year on a 95 yard shot, dropped him where he stood .I shoot a fair number of slugs, don't want to pay the price of sabots. Gander mtn . has a sale each year on them 99 cents a box after rebates. couple trips through line for the wife and I as there is a limit.

Watching fields with longer then 100 shots I'll bring the ML

I've started to lean this way, too. I've got a dedicated Mossberg 20 gauge for deer with the rifled barrel all dudded up in camo including the scope...and I haven't hunted with it 2 out of the three years I've owned it.

My 12 gauge smoothbore with those truballs have served me well for the 100 and less shots. If I'm hunting a stand with 75-125 yd shots...i'll bring the Vortek UL.

It's so much cheaper to shoot those truballs and the extra time at the range proves useful in the stand.