Corona Virus Thread

No, I want things to open just as much as the next man.  I'd just be really annoyed if we had waited several months and we're real close to the finish line and then we have to start all over because some people simply couldn't wait another 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

No, I want things to open just as much as the next man.  I'd just be really annoyed if we had waited several months and we're real close to the finish line and then we have to start all over because some people simply couldn't wait another 2-3 weeks.

The problem is there are people out there like rattler who don’t believe this is real and just don’t care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Chef said:

The problem is there are people out there like rattler who don’t believe this is real and just don’t care

I believe it is real. I have lost a family member to this crap and I have friends that have also. I just hope we don’t start seeing another increase because of these crazy “protesters” and are back to square one. 

• Like 1

I believe it is real. I have lost a family member to this crap and I have friends that have also. I just hope we don’t start seeing another increase because of these crazy “protesters” and are back to square one. 

Protesters. Dude there are states that fully opened way too early and are now seeing spikes. Arizona, Texas, Florida,Alabama.

Forget the protests for a second how ever dumb those people may be. What about the government officials that threw caution to the wind and fully opened their states weeks ago

11 minutes ago, Chef said:

Protesters. Dude there are states that fully opened way too early and are now seeing spikes. Arizona, Texas, Florida,Alabama.

Forget the protests for a second how ever dumb those people may be. What about the government officials that threw caution to the wind and fully opened their states weeks ago

Come on, man. You already knew they are all idiots. 

I believe it's real.  But I also believe 99% of Americans will not DIE from it.  So destroying the economy and putting the country into a depression because of it is galactically stupid.

Advise the vulnerable to stay at home, tell people they have the freedom to choose and allow the rest of us freedom to live, work and even protest. 

But if the govt is OK with mass protests, it has given up any authority to tell everyone else they can't do what they want to do.  That's blatant discrimination.

• Like 1

Reliable data from various studies demonstrates that the vast majority of the most serious COVID-19 cases in the United States were among the elderly and those with preexisting conditions. A review by Stanford medical professor John Ioannidis found that around 80% of Americans who died of COVID-19 were older than 65. Additional data from the Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity found that Americans over 85 are 2.75 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than those 75 to 84 and 16.8 times more like than those 55 to 64. As treatments have improved, the mortality rate in general has dropped, with those under 45 making up less than 2% of total deaths.

This is information we have suspected all along, but now we have more extensive data. And the facts prompt the big question: Was the lockdown necessary? Might it have been more effective to focus on protecting our at-risk population while letting the rest of the nation go about its business?

It's hard not to suspect that the lockdown was a put-on manipulated by power-mad politicians and the media. Democrat governors like Michigan's Gretchen Whitmer and New York's Andrew Cuomo threatened their citizens and issued unconstitutional mandates. Democrats called for an indefinite lockdown, presumably through the presidential election, in hopes of using the crisis to their political advantage. They only looked the other way on lockdown restrictions when the Black Lives Matter rioting started, hoping the chaos would give them a political advantage. (In fact, New York contact tracers won't ask people if they attended protests.) But now that President Donald Trump has decided the danger has abated enough to start holding his record-breaking rallies again, Democrats want to reinstitute lockdowns for fear Trump might gain a political advantage. Sensing an ulterior motive here?

Lewis Morris

Lock downs far worse for health and lives than Coronavirus

https://thefederalist.com/2020/06/16/research-finds-lockdowns-are-far-worse-for-health-and-lives-than-coronavirus/

The official Centers for Disease Control guidelines explicitly forbade “preventive care visit/screenings” and annual check-ups. Even if you have symptoms of illness, your care is pushed into the second tier, and then only if you are an established patient. Heaven forbid that you are trying to see a doctor for the first time.

The negative effects of delays in securing preventative care are well established.

4 hours ago, Rattler said:

I believe it's real.  But I also believe 99% of Americans will not DIE from it.  So destroying the economy and putting the country into a depression because of it is galactically stupid.

Advise the vulnerable to stay at home, tell people they have the freedom to choose and allow the rest of us freedom to live, work and even protest. 

But if the govt is OK with mass protests, it has given up any authority to tell everyone else they can't do what they want to do.  That's blatant discrimination.

I was curious as to what your number was. That is, how many American lives you would think is a fair sacrifice for the maintaining a good economy. I guess it’s 1% of 350M or 3,500,000. Mostly older people. 

Hey, you had a good run, gramps. Thanks for coming. 

You conveniently ignore where I said have that 1% lock down and stay home to avid getting the virus.  It's called personal responsibility.  Do you think 3.5 million folks should be able to destroy the lives of 350 million people because they happen to be vulnerable to sickness?  

How many lives are lost on US highways every year?  Should we shut down the highways to save all their lives?  Or perhaps just lower the speed limit to 10 MPH?

Again, your argument is invalid.

And you also ignore the next two posts I put up indicating far more deaths could very well occur due to the lock down and economic disaster it has caused.  Cherry picking your dissent isn't a winning strategy.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

When people were complaining about people not following procedures and wearing masks, we weren't trying to not to go back to work.  On the contrary, if we would have locked down hard from the beginning we would have already been back at work.

103303787_4711945038816437_1986686728295753972_o.png

There is no scientific evidence to prove that and those graphs come from the New York Times, which has been known to spread lies for years now. Those other countries have not been counting deaths the same as the US that has been inflating the numbers dramatically, and the percentage of real virus deaths to cases is lower in the US than any of those other countries.  If it showed population differences it would be even less persuading.  Pure statistical mismanagement to push an agenda.

11 hours ago, Rattler said:

You conveniently ignore where I said have that 1% lock down and stay home to avid getting the virus.  It's called personal responsibility.  Do you think 3.5 million folks should be able to destroy the lives of 350 million people because they happen to be vulnerable to sickness?  

How many lives are lost on US highways every year?  Should we shut down the highways to save all their lives?  Or perhaps just lower the speed limit to 10 MPH?

Again, your argument is invalid.

And you also ignore the next two posts I put up indicating far more deaths could very well occur due to the lock down and economic disaster it has caused.  Cherry picking your dissent isn't a winning strategy.

I’m not making an argument. I’m pointing out how many Americans you think are worth sacrificing to Mammon.   

The 1% are are only as safe as the actions of the 99% allow them to be. We are now seeing positive cases spiking throughout the country due to the irresponsible and selfish actions of a few. The 1% cannot protect themselves against an onslaught of ignorance. 

Personally, I have lost a lot of income and who knows how much on the value of my NY apt. Oh well, I’d rather live a pauper than die a rich man. 

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, left field said:

I was curious as to what your number was. That is, how many American lives you would think is a fair sacrifice for the maintaining a good economy. I guess it’s 1% of 350M or 3,500,000. Mostly older people. 

Hey, you had a good run, gramps. Thanks for coming. 

1% for sure , 3% I think so  , getting close to 5% I’d have to pause to, rethink . For the record my wife is a double risk factor , age and lung issues , she’s said all along she rather die then ruin the economy for so, many . 

But most aren’t as selfless . 

• Like 3

Lefty, the 1% can self quarantine just as they have been doing, but the rest of us can go about our lives.  And assuming all 3.5 million of the 1% will die is hyperbole at it's finest.  If they were that vulnerable to the masses, they would be dead already.

Once again, you fail to recognize how many people will die from a depression.  The last one killed 7 million people.

We are already seeing spikes in suicide, drug abuse, alcoholism, depression, domestic violence and other crimes due to the economy.  And people are putting off medical treatment and preventative screenings that will also lead to more deaths.  

Leftists always want to talk about the collective and what is best for it, except in this case, where they want to destroy the economy.

Statistical data and scientific analysis indicates we can protect the 1% without destroying the entire economy, so why is it being done?

• Like 1

Lefty, the 1% can self quarantine just as they have been doing, but the rest of us can go about our lives.  And assuming all 3.5 million of the 1% will die is hyperbole at it's finest.  If they were that vulnerable to the masses, they would be dead already.
Once again, you fail to recognize how many people will die from a depression.  The last one killed 7 million people.
We are already seeing spikes in suicide, drug abuse, alcoholism, depression, domestic violence and other crimes due to the economy.  And people are putting off medical treatment and preventative screenings that will also lead to more deaths.  
Leftists always want to talk about the collective and what is best for it, except in this case, where they want to destroy the economy.
Statistical data and scientific analysis indicates we can protect the 1% without destroying the entire economy, so why is it being done?

I can vouch for the alcoholism! Cheers!
I kid...sorry...back to yelling at the moon!

4 hours ago, Rattler said:

There is no scientific evidence to prove that and those graphs come from the New York Times, which has been known to spread lies for years now. Those other countries have not been counting deaths the same as the US that has been inflating the numbers dramatically, and the percentage of real virus deaths to cases is lower in the US than any of those other countries.  If it showed population differences it would be even less persuading.  Pure statistical mismanagement to push an agenda.

I know.  All lies.  Yet here we are, barely in phase 1 while these other countries are already opening up for tourism.

• Like 1