I want to buy Hunting Land

Geno C

WD is right ont he money with his estimae Virgil Ir runs $2,000 a year. 3 year leases. We built a cabin on it so there is a $50 cabin permit every year in that lease price. They use that to go into a pot incase someone lets their cabin go into disrepair and leaves it. They have money to hire it taken down. The company we lease with has parcels all over souther tier and into PA. We have 110 acres and it has a two common boarders with 2500 acres of state land. I saw properties that they had down to about 25 acres. The company has been great and except for cutting live trees we have exclusive use as if it is ours. The decission worked for what we needed.

Oh and a bonus......I just got 2 dmaps from them for the property. they give them out based on 50 acre lots. so since we have 110 we get two. Nice little bonus especially when we have guys up that don't have doe permits for the area...we give them the green light on those becasue they are not assigned to any particular person. If you want I will shoot you a link to them. I thik they just upgraded their website to have a current listing of available property.

And don't sweat agreeing with me....even when we didn't agree we really weren't that far apart on what we felt personally. :)

Oh and with these guys you really don't have much to worry about with them selling it out from under you. They havene't sold a property in 50 years since it really doesn't cost them anything to have them.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Receational tax came about 15 or 20 years ago by Broome Co. when they were looking to get more money for the county. Now they can't say to you that they are going make you pay 10 % tax on your land and all the while all of your neighbors are only paying 7% assessed value of their property because that would be discrimination. All the assessors in the county got togetter and came up with a plan that called for higher assessment on property that is not your legal residence where you live or is not a working farm and was bought just for hiking hunting ,fishing or just running around on. What the assessers are doing is assessing your hundred acres of land at a higher property value than your neighbors hundred with a house on it that he lives in year round. when you go to grieven day on your property taxs the assesser is going to tell that he feels your land is more valuable than your neighbors and there is not to much you can do about it and he will make something up to prove it. When this first started all the locales called it the land recreational tax. You will not find any thing in the tax books about it ,but that how it is. The county and the assessers think that if you aford to buy land to play around on, then you can aford to pay a higher assessment on property value I am sure if you started looking around you would find that most county do this.

Well the tax rate can't be variable but they can play with your assessed value. But you can contest it and there is a legal avenue to do it. You don't even need a lawyer. I actually did it on my house when they raised my value. all you need is a little homework and recent sale history for very similiar properties. They have no choice but to reassess. You can take it down a legal road if they don't. It took me two trips to get it done but I was able to reduce my assessed value by over $30,000 dollars. This was before the housing crash so I imagine they are more resistent now because many folks have houses not worth what they were and that would have a huge hit into their revenues. It is still possible. and our Govt has proven they will take what ever they want from those that will let them..

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Geno I think you are on the right track myself. Look at it this way you can lease a piece of land. From what I can tell it averages about 2000 for 100 acres. You could lease that for say 10 years and you spent 20,000 dollars on land you dont own cant cut a darn live tree on it etc. Or you can go out and buy for example 50 acres thats for sale in Corland for 59,000 for 10 years. Yes there are still taxes on it of course to be paid but in that county I suspect your taxes are going to be around 2000. So now you own 50 acres, you can develop it, do whatever the hell you want and then in those same 10 years turn around and sell it for what you paid or more, unless you mortgage it. Play it right and you can get more. Land is a great investment. If one has the monatary funds to buy land I highly recomend it. Your not wasting your money. So to wrap it up a lease for 2k gets you just that a lease, 50 acres for 59k plus taxes its a no brainer. You still lose the 2k you would of spent on a lease anyways but you have the potential to turn a profit or atleast get your money back and do whatever the hell you want within legal limits of the law. I have both. The lease is the worst invenstment I have ever made. I enjoy the land and family time on it but have wasted my money not to mention I was stupid enough to let family convince me to build a camp on it as well. That was a huge mistake looking back. Yes I have first right for leasing when the lease expires every 5 years but I can never take the camp and move it nor get any money back for building it. And I cant stop the logging company from selling it out from under me. Did I mention that was stupid. Go find your piece of heaven enjoy the hell out of it. If you are intersted in that 50 acres in cortland county I can call my buddy who was going to buy it until his wife found out what he was up too.

Every hobby or pastime has a cost associated with it. The 2K that someone pays for a lease would be this cost, thus many will never see it as money wasted. Yes, if you buy land you can potentially make a profit on it, but I honestly have yet to see anyone make out like a bandit selling hunting land. The only people who might have made a decent amount of money were those who sold it to developers who in turned turned hunting land into a row of houses, malls, or any suburban type developments. That surely doesn't help hunters or hunting in the long run either. The very same thing could happen to the land right next to yours, so YOUR hunting land might not be the same pristine setting a few years down the road from when you bought it. Of course everyone looks at it from their own perspectives and does what they think is best for them, that is why this thread turned into a good one. Many points have been brought out that one should consider before making a final decision on buying.

Geno, I agree with you, nothing like owning your own land. And you don't have to spend a fortune. Most real estate is overpriced hoping to get a dude from the city. I would offer half if you like it. Exception is foreclosures, many of them are deeply discounted already. I picked up a camp with utilities on 1.5 acres for 15k near Oneonta. I wanted more land but I have a 5 ac piece nearby and with my neighbor and I allowing each other to hunt It's 15 ac. Not alot but alot of deer and that's without a food plot. When I get round to planting it'll be even better. That piece cost me 6k and taxes are $230 a year BTW I have nothing but woods behind me with deer visiting my apple trees at the camp so I'm not sur I won't get a deer off that small parcel too. At this time avoid the gas areas if you want a bargain and don't mind not getting in on the gas which is a crap shoot anyway. They drilled a well across from my brother's property and he's getting nothing. I'll keep my eyes open for you as I surf the web alot.

And thanks guys for the comments and some sites to check into. I havnt had much of a chance to look at some of the site and comments but i appreciate the chime in tho!

Im not looking to have a bank note on a property, i am looking to buy out right. Working my way up to something bigger is deff what i will be working to you can count on that. But im the type of guy that will buy within my means for the most part, as much as i would love to spend 100K on something its just not something i want to do.

Geno, I agree with you, nothing like owning your own land. And you don't have to spend a fortune. Most real estate is overpriced hoping to get a dude from the city. I would offer half if you like it. Exception is foreclosures, many of them are deeply discounted already. I picked up a camp with utilities on 1.5 acres for 15k near Oneonta. I wanted more land but I have a 5 ac piece nearby and with my neighbor and I allowing each other to hunt It's 15 ac. Not alot but alot of deer and that's without a food plot. When I get round to planting it'll be even better. That piece cost me 6k and taxes are $230 a year BTW I have nothing but woods behind me with deer visiting my apple trees at the camp so I'm not sur I won't get a deer off that small parcel too. At this time avoid the gas areas if you want a bargain and don't mind not getting in on the gas which is a crap shoot anyway. They drilled a well across from my brother's property and he's getting nothing. I'll keep my eyes open for you as I surf the web alot.

I hope he's had a lwayer look into that...they may be sucking the gas right out from underneath him. That'll become even more important once fracking is legalized...the and pull horizontally pretty far...they actually pop wells into grouped parcels and you'd be suprised to see how far they can actually pull.

Culver are you leasing from Cotton& Hanlon? Thats who my lease is with and Brian has been great along with the whole company. Our lease is the same treat it like your own just dont harm a tree. Our cmap has an annual camp fee as well along with insurance that we added ourselves. The landowners permits they apply for and give out is a nice bonus as well. At one point they told us that if we do not take enough doe of the land they would have to bring in a 3rd party to do it. Enough said we dont have that talk anymore lol. The deal is great but I still feel as though it was a stupid mistake to build a camp on it as it is now theirs and not ours, after all its not like I can just pull a camp behind my truck lol.

Yes its Bob O'Brien brain froze up there for a minute. DId they do the ash tree logging there yet? I got an email that they were going in and logging all there leases of the mature ash trees before the EAB and ALB destroyed them. They have marked the trees for harvesting but darn its starting to worry me a bit that they will be in their during bow season.

Geno I dont know you but upper orange and lower ulster counties

around newburgh and new paltz offers some nice hunting properties.

I actually collect lists of land for sale for people looking for properties

for outdoor activities.Hunting,recreation,camping ,getaways,etc.The

thing I work for is that I become sort of a caretaker afterwards.I would

post, patrol, and set up the property.I go in scout setup foodplots, tree

stand setups,work on environment rehabilitaion for better quaility

habitate and so on and so forth.So if your interested I can help.

I have references from land owners and police agencies as to my

reputation.I taken seriously by poachers,trespassers,and law breakers.

I have several parcels of land close to me now for sale ranging from

30 plus to over 100 acres for sale.Let me know.I would first establish

a personal and professional meeting to show I am truthfully who and what

I say and to develope the bond needed to build a successful relationship.

Edited by hb270deermanager

Geno,

I say go for it, I also had the long time desire to own my own hunting land. 12 years ago, after much searching, I found a nice piece of land in Delaware County which is only 2 hours from our principle residence. Buying it was one of the best decisions of my life.

Our family enjoys it just about every weekend, it had a small run down house on it that I fixed up, just the right size to not require allot of maintenance. After all this time we still daydream all week about getting out of work early on Friday to get there.

Hunting on your own place is something special. Call me crazy, but I pass up invitations to hunt the rut in Ohio and Illinois every year because I could not stand being away from my place during that time of year, even though I know that I will not see a buck near as big as in those other states.

As for the peticulars, In Delaware County, someone can buy a larger parcel for around $2k per acre. Not all land is leased to a gas company, you just need to make sure of it before buying. Also if you buy in the watershed area, there will be no need to worry about gas drilling as the DEC is not going to allow it.

If you buy 50 acres or more, you can do as I did and put it in the Forestry Program, this reduces the taxes on that portion of forested land by 80 percent! All costs associated with the Forestry Program are tax deductable also, i.e. trail maintenance, gravel, equipment and the purchase of a tractor. If it is your first and/or second residence, the IRS allows the mortgage interest and property taxes to be deductable also. Once the land is paid for, the timber sales pay for all of costs associated with the land and more!

As I said, go for it, there is a special feeling when sitting in your treestand on the land that you own with no one to interfere with your hunt.

Geno,

I say go for it, I also had the long time desire to own my own hunting land. 12 years ago, after much searching, I found a nice piece of land in Delaware County which is only 2 hours from our principle residence. Buying it was one of the best decisions of my life.

Our family enjoys it just about every weekend, it had a small run down house on it that I fixed up, just the right size to not require allot of maintenance. After all this time we still daydream all week about getting out of work early on Friday to get there.

Hunting on your own place is something special. Call me crazy, but I pass up invitations to hunt the rut in Ohio and Illinois every year because I could not stand being away from my place during that time of year, even though I know that I will not see a buck near as big as in those other states.

As for the peticulars, In Delaware County, someone can buy a larger parcel for around $2k per acre. Not all land is leased to a gas company, you just need to make sure of it before buying. Also if you buy in the watershed area, there will be no need to worry about gas drilling as the DEC is not going to allow it.

If you buy 50 acres or more, you can do as I did and put it in the Forestry Program, this reduces the taxes on that portion of forested land by 80 percent! All costs associated with the Forestry Program are tax deductable also, i.e. trail maintenance, gravel, equipment and the purchase of a tractor. If it is your first and/or second residence, the IRS allows the mortgage interest and property taxes to be deductable also. Once the land is paid for, the timber sales pay for all of costs associated with the land and more!

As I said, go for it, there is a special feeling when sitting in your treestand on the land that you own with no one to interfere with your hunt.

Catskillkid, You hit it right on the head, theres nothing like owning your own piece of land. Like yourself, I have family that invite me to Kansas and Missouri each year. Heck I have a very dear friend that owns 100 acres in kansas as well that I can go anytime for free but I rather much shoot a buck or not get anything and hunt on my NY land. Like yourself we cant wait to get up to our camp on weekends and thats with a 3 1/2 hour trip and my family has been going up to this same area for 50 + years now. We are in Deleware county as well with property down the road in Otsego county.

thats great guys! yeah its always been something ive wanted... i will find something and get the ball rolling. ive looked at everysite i think. i found a few . i wasnt sure if there were any other sites to look at or if anyone sees anything through their local craigslist as well.

Like yourself we cant wait to get up to our camp on weekends and thats with a 3 1/2 hour trip and my family has been going up to this same area for 50 + years now. We are in Deleware county as well with property down the road in Otsego county.

I wish I were you guys, maybe then I would be more willing to buy land. Only in my wildest dreams would I be able to make a 3 plus hour trek to it every weekend. I know I have plenty of chores and things to do at home on weekends, never mind dealing with the kids needs that need to get done close to home. If I go somewhere each weekend, when does this other stuff get done? For most of us life gets in the way of spending each weekend away in the boonies.

I wish I were you guys, maybe then I would be more willing to buy land. Only in my wildest dreams would I be able to make a 3 plus hour trek to it every weekend. I know I have plenty of chores and things to do at home on weekends, never mind dealing with the kids needs that need to get done close to home. If I go somewhere each weekend, when does this other stuff get done? For most of us life gets in the way of spending each weekend away in the boonies.

On weekends Steve, not every weekend. Sometimes we only get a chance to get up there one weekend a month. Like yourself I have aother responsibilities to tend to and I have 4 small children to keep us very busy...lol..My dad is retired so we are fortunate in that he can get up there to mow grass and plots every 2-3 weeks or so during the warmer months. No a 3.5 hour trek each weekend would be a killer. However owning your own land is a year round enjoyment for us, not just a place to hunt.

thats great guys! yeah its always been something ive wanted... i will find something and get the ball rolling. ive looked at everysite i think. i found a few . i wasnt sure if there were any other sites to look at or if anyone sees anything through their local craigslist as well.

Geno, how far from the island are you willing to travel? I may have mentioned this to you in the past, but a good local realtor where I found my land was Country Boy Realty has some great properties and prices are competitive. I think you will learn that some realtors are showing realistic prices per acre and others tend to over inflate prices to turn a larger profit. Market prices per acre between different realtors within a same area can be staggering. Start with Country Boy Realty if Deleware and Otsego counties are in your search area.

I own 20 + acres in Greene County and I'll be willing it to my son and grandson for them to hunt / fish forever . I never have too wonder where I'm going to hunt every year . I know almost every tree , rock , hill .... there is a stream flowing through it and last year beavers took up residence and now there is a nice pond there....its a mix of heavy woods and fields ! Yes its well worth the price of Taxes ! The deer come through every year past my tree stand between 7 and 8 am ....you can just about set your watch by them (if you dont mind being an hour off) !