Under Armour smell...??

Hey everyone,

I've been using Under Armour for a few years now, but I'm starting to find a problem with the clothing retaining a body odor smell.

I've tried everything:

1. Washing in baking soda.

2. Scrubbing the pits with oxi-clean.

3. Washing in scent-free detergent, and then letting it sit out in the sun.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so - what did you do about it?

Thanks.

Poly propaline I'm sure thats spelled wrong has always held smells . Use it wear it often enough and it seems to come back faster .

http://www.discovery...1/skinnyon.html

These body oils are hydrophobic," says Obendorf. They don't like water either. "If you wash a hydrophobic fabric soiled with these hydrophobic oils, you're going to get less-than-complete cleaning, because they tend to like each other. It's easier to launder oils off a hydrophilic fiber like cotton." Furthermore, Obendorf says, since synthetics don't absorb liquids, the sticky oils may collect on the fiber surface, where they're more vulnerable to the odoriferous onslaught of oxidation.

What he's saying is cotton long underwear will smell less and clean easier then high tech stuff.Next thing ya know someone will say wear wool for an outer layer.......crazy talk !

Edited by Larry302

All I can tell you is that we have tried and tried many times over to get the awful smell of sweaty hockey boys stink out of their under armour. Washed in everything from hunters detergent, even fabreezed them and scent away spray. One season and they go in the garbage. Being a maple producer I have read numerous studies on poly equipment and its effects on contamination of sap. Poly tanks are cheap in comparison to stainless steel for example. But poly absorbs odors, retains bacteria that is impossible to rid itself of due to its micro pores. Basically what a scientist that studies such things tells me the best chances of getting rid of such contamination is through autoclad machines just like hospitals use to steralize surgical equipment.

• Like 1

I have been using under armour too, and I cant get rid of it either. I try and save it for the coldest of days only. doesnt take much for me to sweat... shit i sweat eating ice cream.

:lol:

I'm the same way. I could work up a sweat if I wore NOTHING when I walked out to my tree stand. I'm finding the Under Armour stuff is a waste of money.

Thanks everyone for the insight.

Here is what I do.Save it for COLD days only. Do you really need it on the warm days of bow ? A cotton t shirt and sweat shirt as base layers will not kill you, we're not hunting the Rocky's in winter.

I wash mine after each hunt, 2 hour sit after work I wash it. Now when its dry I spray scent killer on the arm pits after I turn it inside out. I never got why guys put on 3 layers and spray the outside of the outer one,really ? That has the less human scent on it.

Also walk in with as little clothes on as possible.

put it in a bucket doe urine. then let it air dry. problem solved.

LOL...that is too funny. I went to silk base layer nad I don't seem to have the problem any more. It still wicks great and doesn't fit quite so tight. I hated the feeling of having the hair on your legs and arms pulled after a day in the underarmor. The silks I sue are what our military are using now. They are available in some surplus stores....definitely in PX if you have a freind or relative in the service

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey Guys,

I found a product called Gear Wash its a laundry soap that will get out the odor and blood from your hunting gear and Under Armor. They market it for hockey players like me and it gets the odor out of my equipment and my Underarmor too. Ther is n't any cover smell either. Your stuff will smell like it did when you bought it. You can get it at Hockey pro shops or TeamCleanGear.com Hope this helps because I know to how hard it is to get out the stink!

Thing is this stuff works!