How does your garden grow

crappyice

On 5/18/2020 at 12:29 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ok, I went back and you all who said “hardening” were correct. Guy said it was likely the bad T Storm we got Friday night since that was within 24 hours of them coming out of greenhouse. They gave me 2 more free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

told ya! haha

i can only say that though because i lost so much this year haha

• Like 1

[mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] told me to put a thin coat of grass clippings in my garden. If it goes to shit, we can all blame him.

a539d7434c2fdb4e164599b05d8a08c6.jpg

Are you guys watering daily? I always knew with new grass you water twice a week deeply to grow deep roots better than daily watering creating shallow roots. We are in the middle of a 10-day sunny stretch, so should I be watering daily instead?

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

[mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] told me to put a thin coat of grass clippings in my garden. If it goes to shit, we can all blame him.

a539d7434c2fdb4e164599b05d8a08c6.jpg

:fool:

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Are you guys watering daily? I always knew with new grass you water twice a week deeply to grow deep roots better than daily watering creating shallow roots. We are in the middle of a 10-day sunny stretch, so should I be watering daily instead?

You water when needed not on a schedule.  Look at the plant leaves, are they upright and erect and not limpy .  (have at it @Pygmy). Dig some soil away and see if it is moist an inch or two below the surface , if it is, you are ok. (I think Pygmy will chime in on this one too.) 

When it is very very hot and sunny, you may need to water everyday, but that is usually just a stretch in July August time.  You are already deeply watering, so that’s good.  And water the soil not the plant.  I prefer to water morning or afternoon, but not in the evening.  My preference based on what my father taught me.  Sometimes your schedule says not to wait and you have o water in the vending, it’s no big deal.  Don’t forget your fertilizer.  At least every 2 weeks.  

I am not sure what a thin layer of grass clippings will do???? It is not enough to prevent weed growth or provide any compost?  Maybe possibly, add a small dose of nitrogen?  Maybe Tacks knows something???  I like to see dirt around plants, especially vegetable plants.  Even flowers.  Mulch is for shrubbery and trees. IMHO.    Hoe the dirt to keep it loose, so air and water can get to the roots, and it also disturbs the tiny weed growth you can’t even see.  

• Like 2

You water when needed not on a schedule.  Look at the plant leaves, are they upright and erect and not limpy .  (have at it [mention=320]Pygmy[/mention]). Dig some soil away and see if it is moist an inch or two below the surface , if it is, you are ok. (I think Pygmy will chime in on this one too.) 
 When it is very very hot and sunny, you may need to water everyday, but that is usually just a stretch in July August time.  You are already deeply watering, so that’s good.  And water the soil not the plant.  I prefer to water morning or afternoon, but not in the evening.  My preference based on what my father taught me.  Sometimes your schedule says not to wait and you have o water in the vending, it’s no big deal.  Don’t forget your fertilizer.  At least every 2 weeks.  
I am not sure what a thin layer of grass clippings will do???? It is not enough to prevent weed growth or provide any compost?  Maybe possibly, add a small dose of nitrogen?  Maybe Tacks knows something???  I like to see dirt around plants, especially vegetable plants.  Even flowers.  Mulch is for shrubbery and trees. IMHO.    Hoe the dirt to keep it loose, so air and water can get to the roots, and it also disturbs the tiny weed growth you can’t even see.  

I think he tricked me. I got zero weeds in 2 years in this spot. I am hoeing the dirt. I do think I need to water more. Outside of a t storm last Friday, we’ve had 70-82 every single day and sunny. This spot gets fried all day long

That’s F’ed [mention]The_Real_TCIII [/mention]
Go pick that shit out, blade by blade, and accept that you have been had!

I water daily the cucumbers and watermelon that I planted a few days back...tomatoes go in tomorrow. A few Eggplant and jalapeño will get transplanted to a bigger pot tomorrow but remain indoors for another week or two. Basil may get thrown out- them shits ain’t growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That’s F’ed [mention]The_Real_TCIII [/mention]
Go pick that shit out, blade by blade, and accept that you have been had!

I water daily the cucumbers and watermelon that I planted a few days back...tomatoes go in tomorrow. A few Eggplant and jalapeño will get transplanted to a bigger pot tomorrow but remain indoors for another week or two. Basil may get thrown out- them shits ain’t growing.

I’ve definitely been underwatering then.

13 hours ago, chrisw said:

Got most of mine done last weekend. Brussel sprouts, peas, beans, squash, cucumbers, zucchini, cabbage, tomatoes, jalapenos, Serrano peppers, cayenne peppers and Hungarian wax peppers. IMG_20200517_103517624_HDR.jpgIMG_20200517_103510481_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

don't forget dandelions :)

12 hours ago, Otto said:

You water when needed not on a schedule.  Look at the plant leaves, are they upright and erect and not limpy .  (have at it @Pygmy). Dig some soil away and see if it is moist an inch or two below the surface , if it is, you are ok. (I think Pygmy will chime in on this one too.) 

what's the science behind not in the evening? that's always when I do it so less is evaporated.

11 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I think he tricked me. I got zero weeds in 2 years in this spot. I am hoeing the dirt. I do think I need to water more. Outside of a t storm last Friday, we’ve had 70-82 every single day and sunny. This spot gets fried all day long

Usually... in the spring we get enough rain that you shouldn't have to water too often. I'll probably water today as we had some good rain monday but that's been it. It's more important early on like you said to establish, but daily? No way... 

36 minutes ago, Belo said:

what's the science behind not in the evening? that's always when I do it so less is evaporated.

Wet plants at night along with cooler weather promote fungal development. The leaves don't have time to dry off without the heat and drying effect of the sun.  

• Thanks 1

Usually... in the spring we get enough rain that you shouldn't have to water too often. I'll probably water today as we had some good rain monday but that's been it. It's more important early on like you said to establish, but daily? No way... 

We In middle 10-day stretch of no rain and strong sun. UV index of 9 today. This spot gets pounded with sun.

I watered this morning at 830am

d271cbbd68ee43a189787833a5ff0ca3.jpg

Vegetable-less herb garden is in the ground.  Oregano, thyme, chives, parsley, dill, basil, cilantro and an entire bed of aggressive mutant mint.  (Rosemary will go in this weekend).  If I can keep the chipmunk population down, we should be in good shape. 

6BA4C7BF-118B-4ED4-96B8-9E9801554F75.jpeg

E593EBD7-1D37-454E-93E1-94D1364C47D6.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

We In middle 10-day stretch of no rain and strong sun. UV index of 9 today. This spot gets pounded with sun.

I watered this morning at 830am

d271cbbd68ee43a189787833a5ff0ca3.jpg

those grass clippings hahah

but yeah 10 days of course is way too long. I'm just saying that I don't believe everyday is necessary. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

7db49d056ae2184c1bb79520dff5bd2c.jpg
Sugar snap peas , spinach , banana peppers , jalapeños, habanero, grape tomatoes, mortgage lifter tomatoes, lady bell pepper, super steak tomato, mountain pride tomato, lettuce n strawberries going in today in planters.

How far apart are all those? it looks tight. I thought had a lot of space (16ft x 6ft), but when i started spacing out i didn't have much room.