Favorite Diner

Marti375

I don't go to diners either, usually put up some coffee and something light to eat then head out the back door. I would guess most guys eat at home if they have land or a base camp. Try to limit the smells before I hit the woods. I know a lot of guys stop at the Roscoe Diner, been there in off season once didn't care for it though.

Back in the 80's me and a couple of uncles hunted in Columbia county. We stayed at a motel since that's all we had available then, and ate at this diner many times. Has been there a long time. The food was OK, but nothing like cooking our own food like we currently do at our rented hunting house. No diner will cook up venison backstrap for you, that's for sure!

http://www.taghkanicdiner.com/

I think the problem is that you lose a lot of time in the morning going to a diner and waiting to get served. Some don't even open until after 5AM or after, which makes the timing real tight for a hunter. It takes way LESS time getting something quick to eat at home, camp or wherever beforehand, plus you can probably sleep later since you don't have to waste time at a diner. My experiences with most diners or restaurants in the country is that their service is slow as molasses. Their businesses wouldn't last 1 day in an urban or suburban setting with that kind of slow service.

Edited by steve863

Back in the 80's me and a couple of uncles hunted in Columbia county. We stayed at a motel since that's all we had available then, and ate at this diner many times. Has been there a long time. The food was OK, but nothing like cooking our own food like we currently do at our rented hunting house. No diner will cook up venison backstrap for you, that's for sure!

http://www.taghkanicdiner.com/

That's a great diner - had my first taste of venison chilli at that diner when I first went up with my bro-in-law to look into buying property up in that area in 2006. Now that we bought property, and have a house to stay in, we cook our backstraps at the house.

That's a great diner - had my first taste of venison chilli at that diner when I first went up with my bro-in-law to look into buying property up in that area in 2006. Now that we bought property, and have a house to stay in, we cook our backstraps at the house.

Venison chili? Wow! I don't remember ever seeing that on their menu back when I used to eat there. There was a motel right across the road where we stayed at. They had hunters in every room during the hunting season. I vividly remember standing next to the pole where the deer were hanging one evening and heard one clown bragging to everyone how he shot his buck at about 5:15 that evening, and this was right in the middle of gun season! LOL I don't think I would have been saying that out loud! Man, I somehow DON'T miss those days. We have it a whole lot better now as far as accommodations and what we eat at dinner.

Haven't been back there since that time. It was around middle - end of November when we went. It may have just been on the specials that time. :unsure:

Now we frequent the Redhook Diner between Stewart's and CVS on route 9. Unfortunately have not had any venison there yet.

Edited by Deerthug

When not hunting we will, go out to breakfast.I tend to enjoy breakfast foods allhours of the day.But when i do i make the waitress second guess my order i usualy order between 6 and 10 eggs over ham bacon and sausage,and of corse home frys.also a glass of juice my wife thinks im nutt's/crazy.

We still hit the diner's on the way in most times, not all though. We don't go in wearing our camo's so I guess you might not know you were sitting next to some hunters. Never had an issue with stinking like a diner as a result and we have killed many deer over the years. We drive a ways to get to our hunting areas so for me I would have to get up at 330 am to make my self breakfast and get out of the house on time. Diner is just easier for me.

When I hunted with my Brother in law and Father in law in Burdett we always had to take my Father in law down to Savards or the Grill in Watkins Glen.

Now that I have the cabin we just eat there, occasionally eating at the cafe in Howard, real nice owners!