Do you shoot the doe if the fawns are with her?

mossy725

Deer born in the spring of 2011 wouldn't be called a yearling yet, now would they?

Fawn = under one year

Yearling = over one year

I still can not bring myself to wack a doe, but IF I ever hunt a area that needs population control I will do my part if I am allowed by the land owner.

In so far as shooting a doe w/fawn, I think on LI it's no problem due to no predators. But anywhere coyote is present and the winters are hard I would lay off any doe w/fawn just to have more deer in my area and give that fawn a chance, but I hunt area's with very few deer. I think fawn's really need the support of the mother the 1st year, after that 1st year is over they will be fine as they have enough experience to survive making it through there 1st winter ok.

• Like 1

I use to work with a wildlife rehabilitator a few years back, and people bring in fawns all the time when their mothers get hit by a car. The fawns have the ability to survive without the adults by the time their spots are gone. By that point they have learned all the basic things they need to survive. Also as one of the other members mentioned by the time the rut comes the doe's kick the fawns out to by on their own

All you doe wackers are probably the ones who complain there are no deer left to shoot.

I'm not sure I ever heard anyone say that they had absolutely no deer to shoot... maybe big bucks...and I'm positive that dmps have never resulted in a 0 population of does anywhere...sometimes hunters confuse their ability to see or kill deer with the amount of deer available when it is probably more related to their "ability to see and kill deer"... I have hunted with guys that piss and moan that they never see deer on the property ... and I usually don't have the heart to tell them how many bucks I passed on just that day..lol

So it turns out I'm a liar, I took a doe with a faun saturday afternoon just as the snow started flying. She gave me a slam dunk shot, and I'd already passed on her twice this season. There was another deer, I think a yearling, hanging out with the doe and her fawn, so at least the little guy should have some company for a while.

I think this is a personal preferance thing myself.I usaully look to see

if the fawn or fawns are button bucks and how healthy they seem.I will

take a doe with one fawn because the fawn is usaully healthier then

a doe with 2.One other thing to keep in mind a doe that has 2 fawns

a yr is a prime breeder and will usaully have 2 bucks every other yr.A

doe always will rejoin her fawns after being bred so I am alittle more

selective when taking doe's I mignt even take the fawn if its a doe and

is the only one.my real preferance is to take a yearling doe.

I wont take a fawn period. If Im going to spend 98 dollars on a license I want my moneys worth not a bread bag full of tender meat lol. I however will not take a doe with 2 fawns either, she a breeder and thats a good thing where I come from. Never understood the concept of shooting a fawn what little you get out of one isnt worth the tag that you could put on a big doe. I also dont see the challenge in shooting a fawn. Just my opinion and Im sticking with it.