Do you shoot the doe if the fawns are with her?

mossy725

All part of the food chain,shoot her.Thats your choice i know it sounds cruel but the season is still young.The yearlings are the best we call them suitcase deer.If you dont want to shoot doe's with fawns then wait maybe Daddys not to far behind.

Well at 5PM down the hill comes a medium sized doe and just behind her comes her one fawn. Mom stops 12 yards from me and is perfectly broad side. She stops in my shooting lane, paws and pokes around in the leaves and then walks away. Her little one watches for s second and then follows along just like she is supposed to. Oh well I guess I'm just to old to change my ways.

I was about to.But when i took the bow of my treestep i hang it on it made a verry light."ting".She heard that and she was like 80 yds out.Hahaha.I got her to come back with a fawn bleat but she wasn't buying it.Right before she would step into my shooting lane she winded me.All well.Probably wouldn't have relaesed the arrow any how.LOL.I have passed on her the past 2 yrs.She lives in my back yard.gives birth to twins each year.Maybe the nighbor wont shoot her.I was itching tho.Gotta get some meat in the freezer.

I took the larger of 2 doe year before last, turned out to be mother and daughter. The yearling had no spots , just smaller. Mom was still lactating, this was in mid gun season, felt like crap when I realized what I had done. I will try to avoid doing this again, however I'm not going to pass up a nice doe just on a suspicion that she is w/ her little ones, now if they are clearly her fawns, she gets a pass.

What a silly thread, at least a few of you fellas actually shoot real deer still. I suspect that some are full of it, an awefull lot of guys can't tell the difference between a Button buck and a doe so how is it that you know if the doe has a fawn nearby before you shoot it?

Obviously I don't pass on any doe's that stumble by me, hence the name Doewhacker. I do lay off the fawns though.

What a silly thread, at least a few of you fellas actually shoot real deer still. I suspect that some are full of it, an awefull lot of guys can't tell the difference between a Button buck and a doe so how is it that you know if the doe has a fawn nearby before you shoot it?

Obviously I don't pass on any doe's that stumble by me, hence the name Doewhacker. I do lay off the fawns though.

You really have to lay off fawns. I most hunting situations it would be impossible to tell if it were a button buck. short of having it nearly below you and seeing the buttons....or being in a pit blind and seeing...seeing...well you get the point...lol

• Like 1

You really have to lay off fawns. I most hunting situations it would be impossible to tell if it were a button buck. short of having it nearly below you and seeing the buttons....or being in a pit blind and seeing...seeing...well you get the point...lol

Yes, its not to hard to tell fawn from adult though so to me its easy. And then you get an oddity like I had last week where I swore it was a 1.5 old buck that had nothing but buttons as it was about a 110 pound deer. It got the pass just in case.

I did see the tiniest fawn ever last week, the one that ran by me at 5 feet was soooo small you could tell in one second it was a fawn.

Yes, its not to hard to tell fawn from adult though so to me its easy. And then you get an oddity like I had last week where I swore it was a 1.5 old buck that had nothing but buttons as it was about a 110 pound deer. It got the pass just in case.

I did see the tiniest fawn ever last week, the one that ran by me at 5 feet was soooo small you could tell in one second it was a fawn.

We had two up north this past weekend like that. I swear the spots just came off because they weren't over knee high. Deer by themselves can be tough to tell if they are moving. I really use the nose as the main guage for single does. haven't made that mistake in years...lol. but I did quite a bit when I was younger.

And WNY-----It double as helping me hide the grey in my beard as well

Culver, if there is anything left in that can, please send it to me. After I cover up the spots on the fawns I kill, I might try some on my balding head. May not look great, but my head ain't much to look at anyway so it's worth a try. LOL

Makes sure you get the front of your face aswell unless you plan on jumping out of the bushes to ugly your deer to death.