Deer bleat can vs grunt vs rattle

BucktheBuck30-06

I am partial to the can call. I carry that, a rattle bag, agrunt tube adjustable too change tone down to a bleat. And I also snort wheeze. I have found the can works the best for me with the most positive responses I have called in numerous bucks with it. Grunting I tend to have less positive results. The rattling I have had work only once on one out of a bachelor group of bucks. The snort wheez I am still exploring.

Had a fake rack for rattling hated it sounded well fake lol. plus just bulky to carry around. I use a real rack most often but if Im out for an all day and Im packing a bit of stuff I go with my rattle bag. Its an older one when they first came out with the mishaped hardwood dowels. I took 1/4 of the dowels out. I also use a small 6 point rack to rattle. I will tell you what I learned or well atleast I think I learned. Those rattle bags with a bunch of rods in them or those big old plastic racks or even big real racks have a tendancy to scare the shit out of some of the bucks that are inferior to the size of the sounds your making with them. Think about it here you are a decent 8 pointer and you here this massive fight with lots of antler point crashing together are you going to come in and get your butt whooped? I keep them small and not overly aggressive. I rattle in bucks quite frequently over the years. Done it teice this year out of three times I have used it.

My rattle bag has odd shaped wooden dowels in it. Wonder if it sounds different than ones with plastic? It's never seemed to do anything regardless.

I love to use my grunt. I've called in bucks and does calling blind and used it to stop and turn both also.

I always feel like a goof using the bleat can because I've never had any luck at all with it. I've bleated at so many deer that don't even pay attention.

Heres another thought for you guys to think over. I have multple different calls of different brands. I do not use the same one in the same area all the time. I rotate through them especially if I already used it on a deer and it failed or spooked it. It might be over thinking on my part but if they know that particular sound and a warning signal went off in their heads why would they come into that call again? I was told a long time ago if your busted by a turkey they will never come into that call again.

I've called sizeable bucks in with everything except rattling. Just doesn't seem to have worked real well for me so far. I'm going to do a little tickling starting this weekend and see what happens. maybe I'm just not doing it right/enough/too often?

I like to blind call with the trailing grunt later in the season, say December, and blind call with the doe estrous as soon as the later part of the chase/pre-rut begins.

I have never used a bleat can although they sound great. I have used grunt tubes and doe bleats with success, even blind calling they work. I bought a rattle bag last year and only used it a few times, I will start using it soon for this season. I do have full sized antler's to rattle with but they are way too bulky to carry in the woods all day and I haven't had any success with them in past years.

I think i might get the circle plastic deer call i forget the name,i was jus toying with one at herbs then i looked em up and seen some good reveiws.I'm going to try em all early in the and figure anythiing that works will will work better in full swing rut!!Plus i got a gruge with what was last year a monster 8 point,so im hoping to see something even better ive seen some scrape marks so i know he is still around!!