single lung hit

twsted21

shot a doe last night, high single lung with a pass thru that i believe took out the diaphragm. the doe ran eratic into trees and finally crashed 30 yards from my stand. i waited 45 minutes before i had my buddy come in to help me seeing how this deer never moved and was laying on its side, when he got 8 feet away the deer staggered up and trotted head down tail between the legs, very little blood so we decided to let her sit overnight. Do you think this deer will die??

IMO....as a hunter but more so as a 16yr veteran of EMS, yes this deer by all medical accounts should die. that is of course if you hit what you think you hit. It may take a bit longer than normal but if the deer has a hole in its lung and the diaphragm is punctured, it will die. again, just my opinion

Who saw the Realtree episode last night on Outdoor channel? Michael Waddell killed a 400lb elk with a bow and when it was brought to the processor, they found another 10" arrow shaft stuck in the body of the bull elk. It wasn't Waddell's arrow shaft. I know you can't compare a 400lb bull elk to a 100 lb doe but. . . hey you never know . . .

Who saw the Realtree episode last night on Outdoor channel? Michael Waddell killed a 400lb elk with a bow and when it was brought to the processor, they found another 10" arrow shaft stuck in the body of the bull elk. It wasn't Waddell's arrow shaft. I know you can't compare a 400lb bull elk to a 100 lb doe but. . . hey you never know . . .

I didnt see this episode, but I have a similar experience my self... I dropped a 6 pointer 3 years ago that had an entire broad head about 1/4 inch from his spine. It was totally concealed and surrounded by scar tissue. The blades of the broadhead and the tip were intact. No arrow shaft at all tho. Pretty wild...

Im sure most of us have heard about people getting cut on a sharp broad head in a deer when field dressing it lol

After waiting 45 minutes, and getting one lung, the deer should have been dead when you walked up on it. I have gotten only one lung on a number of deer and they will certainly run farther than a double lung, however, they are still usually dead within a few minutes. I would get out and start searching, because that reaction from the deer certainly points towards a dead deer.

My father in law shot a buck about 3 years ago that had a broadhead in it, a slug in its hind leg, and an open wound through the bottom of its belly that started to heal up. His first shot hit it in the neck and he followed up with a shot behind the shoulder. In total the deer had a broadhead and 4 bullet wounds!

I would think that if she got up after a 45 minute wait that she wasn't hit in the lung maybe a liver shot. I hit a nice 6 point and got him just in the liver he ran like he was hit good. I got on the trail and jumped him the second time he didn't get up but was still alive so I put an arrow into him he got back up and ran another 60 yards.

This year I hit a doe in one lung and liver and she ran 200 yard and died it was an hour long track job with little to no blood for the last 50 yards. I would think that a lung would have definatly put her down in an hour.

I hope you find her. Where were you hunting?

This sounds strangely familiar: One of my Dads co-workers took up bow this year, liver/gut shot a doe around 4 on Saturday night (and screwed up my evening sit, but thats neither here nor there). He followed immediately for about 40 yards, found his arrow then left it until dark. 4 of us blood trailed her after that, blood went from dry to the point of no-flaking, to wet in the middle of a swamp. We followed the trail about another 40 yards in the dark (took 2.5 hours to get this far, say 300 yards total distance), and gave up for the night. My aunts german shephard is evidently a good tracker as the next day he led them another 1/2 mile on the trail, found several beds with gut matter and dark blood. And then they started finding pieces of it the yotes had left. They're really hungry right now and were on that deer in less than 10 hours, so don't let your deer sit over night if you can help it!

hunting 4j in the pine bush off of kings rd, the arrow was covered in pinkish to bright red blood with bubbles also where she was laying on her side was more bubbly blood. i just didnt expect her to get up after crashing there 45 minutes later. she ran head down into trees and sticks when she got up to run. her tail never raised.

You can always call deer search. I used it 2 years ago when I shot a buck just before dark a little further back than I wanted. I gave him an hour after watching him go in thick woods before starting to track. Jumped him once and left the area. Called deer search the next morning and the dog found it within 20 minutes. It is a free service (accept donations only) and really useful. Just a thought...