What type of .30-06 ammunition to use for deer hunting?

mossy725

• 1 month later...

Last year,I shot a 180 pound buck with Hornady 165 graid SST at a full trot and he moved exactly 18 inches, straight down. Two days later I shot a 150 pound doe, through a 6 inch tree at dusk which went through the tree, ten feet further and then through the deer double lung and heart out the other side. She ran 75 yards. At twenty dollars or less a box I don't think I need to find another bullet.

Last year,I shot a 180 pound buck with Hornady 165 graid SST at a full trot and he moved exactly 18 inches, straight down. Two days later I shot a 150 pound doe, through a 6 inch tree at dusk which went through the tree, ten feet further and then through the deer double lung and heart out the other side. She ran 75 yards. At twenty dollars or less a box I don't think I need to find another bullet.

Let me know where you are getting them for $20 a box so I can buy some! I just spent $100 on three boxes of Hornady custom SST for my 25-06.

Let me know where you are getting them for $20 a box so I can buy some! I just spent $100 on three boxes of Hornady custom SST for my 25-06.

Cheapest I could find is 26.95, they really bend you over on that caliber eh? Might want to think about reloading at that price and regardless, save your brass in case you change your mind.

http://www.rareammo.com/rifle-ammo/25---06-remington/hornady-25-06-rem-117-gr-sst-ammunition-20box

I guess I didn't look hard enough, here ya go almost there. 22.80 a box and I have purchased from them before so they are safe. I would order up!

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-81454-25%252d06-Rem-117gr-SST%7B47%7D20.html?google=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM, mossy725 said:

Wondering what everyone thought in regards to .30-06 ammunition for deer hunting? This is the first year my area is allowed to use rifle, so I was curious.

I've been looking into Winchester Super-X ammo (180 grain).

Thoughts/opinions?

Just looking for a lot of stopping power up to 150-200 yards.

Thanks.

Get the rem 220 grain soft point 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2011 at 0:12 PM, mossy725 said:

Wondering what everyone thought in regards to .30-06 ammunition for deer hunting? This is the first year my area is allowed to use rifle, so I was curious.

I've been looking into Winchester Super-X ammo (180 grain).

Thoughts/opinions?

Just looking for a lot of stopping power up to 150-200 yards.

Thanks.

there is only one round for the 30-06 and that is the 165 grain PP,  we've carried the same rifle and round in our group from Vietnam to maine, corawan to sudan, put the bead on a deer sized animal right directly on the shoulder, you want total energy transferal and shoulder meat is not something you will miss eating anyway.

on a bear hold in front of the front shoulder, bears are not shot behind the shoulder or on the shoulder if you can help it.

if you've hunted with a 308 before the 30-06 will open your eyes wide, its way more gun than needed for deer sized critters.

having more experience dropping bad guys with the ought six than critters ( and we've killed hundreds upon hundreds of critters) we here all agree that  if you shoot a person with a 308 they fall over ---hit them with a 30-06 165 gr and it picks them up and slams them on the ground.

It is simply awesome energy.

• 1 month later...

The 165 is the best all around load for 30-06 I believe. That said I've done most of my hunting with 150 gr in 06. Bottom line. 150 and up is the way go. Just find why your rifle likes. I got one old BAR can cut holes with Barnes ammo and gives me 2.5" groups with Winchester expensive black box suff but will shoot the cheap stuff Federal under an 1". All 180 gr. Got another one same gun that is an 1.25" gun no matter what you give it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 06 is a excellent choice if your using one rifle to deer hunt. 180gr will do the job but a bit over kill on whitetail,165's or 150's is plenty.I have had to many misfires not just in 30-06 with Remington. I like the Winchester line of ammo too. I own a few 30-06, and decided to try Hornady whitetails in a gun I had to site in this year. The Hornady Whitetails in 150gr where fantastic, accuracy like you worked up a handload. May have been the right round for that gun. I never understood, the buy the best gun you could than buy subpar ammo?

11 hours ago, eagle rider said:

Barnes Vortex ammo copper fouls barrels badly. First hand experience. Cleaning is a nightmare. On the other hand if you love them I'll sell you 10 boxes of Vortex 168 gr. 30-06. I'd be happy part with them.

Vortex use TTSX bullets. 

We have used versions of Barnes Triple Shok in 30-06, .270, .243 AND .308 with no copper fouling at all. Actually, I have heard more complaints about fouling from the soft lead in jacketed bullets.

Given never personal experience, discussions on this site and customer reviews, I think your experience is an abberation.

4.6 out of 5 rating at Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barnes-VOR-TX-Rifle-Ammunition/847308.uts

So, if someone else hasn't  grabbed them, I am interested. As per Buckmaster, how much? 

12 hours ago, eagle rider said:

Barnes Vortex ammo copper fouls barrels badly. First hand experience. Cleaning is a nightmare. On the other hand if you love them I'll sell you 10 boxes of Vortex 168 gr. 30-06. I'd be happy part with them.

Vortex use TTSX bullets. 

We have used versions of Barnes Triple Shok in 30-06, .270, .243 AND .308 with no copper fouling at all. Actually, I have heard more complaints about fouling from the soft lead in jacketed bullets.

Given personal experience, discussions on this site and customer reviews, I think your experience is an abberation.

4.6 out of 5 rating at Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barnes-VOR-TX-Rifle-Ammunition/847308.uts

So, if someone else hasn't  grabbed them, I am interested.

• Like 1

Vortex use TTSX bullets. 
Given personal experience, discussions on this site and customer reviews, I think your experience is an abberation.
So, if someone else hasn't  grabbed them, I am interested.

I'll PM you now.