fasteddie

Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

Doubling down?? Nice Larry!! My son turned 12 today and had hoped to take him hunting and get him a bird (part of the reason i havent hunted much) but sadly he didn’t want to, said he just wants to hunt deer.

I didn’t start hunting turkeys till much later, and it was born out of a love for the woods. He will get there I’m sure. Best not to push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

2 Total Days off!    Back in for 3 Straight Days starting Tomorrow though. Another Tag Team with Cynthia. Double up perhaps.    :sungum:

• Like 1

Been settled in for a bit ....dang did it get light quick. Nothing off the usual roost area...all is quiet so far. Woodpecker hammering away in the back where my dad is.....that'll keep him on his toes.

In a new Rhino blind for the first time this season.....wow what an upgrade from a Cabelas blind and a budget Ameristep. These are real nice. Love the windows and the hook and loop closure system they use.430983a91db98567c3f7462126079f8c.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Just had a Tom fly down about 50 yards away-I reach foe my bow when I thought he was behind a tree enough to not see me. His head snapped up so fast I thought it might fall off. Slowly walked out of my life’

Unlike most living beings in this area, these turkey keep their mouths shut.

• Like 1

Just now, crappyice said:

Just had a Tom fly down about 50 yards away-I reach foe my bow when I thought he was behind a tree enough to not see me. His head snapped up so fast I thought it might fall off. Slowly walked out of my life’

Unlike most living beings in this area, these turkey keep their mouths shut.

Urrggghhhh! If only you had a Shotgun.

Bunch of gobbles for that last hour or so. But they haven’t seemed to move. I called some, but I’m gonna shut up now as I think they may still be roosted.

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

1d488b764d24d41b259b0e7e99f5ebb3.jpg

• Like 7

-Aldo Leopold 

Urrggghhhh! If only you had a Shotgun.

And an AMAZING lawyer...bow only

• Like 2

Good luck out there folks.  I've been locked out of the site for a couple weeks, but I'm back.  Congrats to all the successful hunters, especially Cynthia and Bill.  Good luck TF and Sam.  

Been a tough season for me.  Lots of hunters and lower bird numbers.  I will be out tomorrow and at least one more morning next week.  

• Like 4

2 jakes popped out at the far corner of the field, but only stepped into the field, turned and went back in. Didn’t look alarmed. Not sure they could have seen my decoys and def not me.

• Like 1

-Aldo Leopold 

Now there’s a hen in the field and all the gobblers have shut up and disappeared.

I hate turkeys

• Like 1

-Aldo Leopold 

Been a fun few days, called in a longbeard for a buddy and his kid that they ended up boogering up cause they couldn't sit still.
Yesterday I put a loudmouth hen right in their lap for 20 minutes so they got the whole gammit of hen talk and close.
This all day hunting is a joke around here, from guys whacking birds from their vehicles to late shooters...we were all standing on the porch last night devising a plan for this morning when we heard 2 shots from 2 different guns and I said well those 2 Jake's we watched heading for the island of trees at Darla's just got limb lifted! The time? 9:18 PM! And no that's not a typo and yeah there was enough light that so.eone could shoot but WELL past legal time.

So this morning I decided to go way down the hollow from the gas line where I called that longbeard in the other day. I knew he roosted below the cow pasture right in the base of the hollow. An old log skidder trail would give him a open path to me if he decided to play.
With a slight drizzle and overcast skies he gobbled late, after 3 gobbles with long waits in between it was finally light enough in the woods for him to feel comfy but he was 250 yards out but I didn't know where all his hens were as I only could here 5 close to him.
Found out where hen number 6 was after my first series of calls as she literally knocked my hat off when she flew in and scared the crap outa me. She landed 5 feet from me and started feeding .
She got out 39 yards and my next series of clucks and 2 yelps and he cut me off 100 yards out and my close hen started purring and came back to me.
Within a couple minutes a train of hens came down the logging road with a white head following that was all I could see
3 hens walk past me at 6 feet as I am leaned against a big tree with multi floral roas around it just on the edge of the logging road. Finally he is in the clear of hens and lights out at 25 yards.

fc440a545fa1697c4147db8ecc932c94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 26

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

How long before dark do you go check for roosting birds?

1/2 before sunset until dark

Finally a jake joins her then a freaking VW beetle shows up, holy crap! 100 yards away and moving in the wrong direction.

-Aldo Leopold 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Bunch of gobbles for that last hour or so. But they haven’t seemed to move. I called some, but I’m gonna shut up now as I think they may still be roosted.

Soft stuff. Clucks + Purrs.

16 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yes he did.  Details tomorrow afternoon, I’m at my friends house and will be staying over tonight, he has some chores for me to help with. I’m whipped so bad now.......

5DEDEB4F-9AF9-44F4-9E14-27F14CF14A72.png

Congratulations Larry!!!  Nice gobbler my friend!

• Thanks 1

One of the better gobbling mornings of the season for me. I'm thinking around 10 I'll grab a couple decoys and go sit in the blind. I heard at least 6 gobblers this morning.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Daughter and I will keep you company.  Alls quiet so far.  

Alright! Back in the game! Pulling for you guys!

Edit, saw after you tapped out due to farmer plowing field. Get back out there!

Edited by ApexerER

Not a single gobble today, but i am set up for tomorrow morning in a new spot. I found my first morel of the season and checked in on my wood duck box.

228ced6d09f411c17d365c8fdce9d3ae.jpg&key=e1fc58b5aebdd0fde00ffffbf30da31bdaab5c7155b822bb559203602184a7f6

91881e1b6111cd77637c702cc6ce7a2d.jpg&key=e927e7fa2a1cdb468a5f3b668f95e7853553191b2eac45f1d9afda926e588bc4

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 16

Swing and a miss #3.  Had a buddy with me and he told me it was 50 yards, not 30.  I think I see the problem now.

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Day 8 of total silence, it's bizarre. Not in "all my years" has this happened , nor have I ever spent this many days after spring birds.  

Silent in terms of turkey. All in all it was very load today, I wish it would've be quiet.  I heard a dog bark like mad for a half hour straight.  At a crazy fast rate, especially for how long it was.  Then once he slowed down I could hear another noise. At the distance it was, I wasn't sure at first if it was a hunters bad yelps or what?  Then I realized it was I high pitched raspy bark. Probably a coyote playing with the dog driving it nuts.  They exchanged barks for another half hour. What a racket.  But I can't believe someone would let their dog bark non stop for an hour.  

Shooting an inline is like kissing your sister.

1 hour ago, Otto said:

Not a single gobble today, but i am set up for tomorrow morning in a new spot. I found my first morel of the season and checked in on my wood duck box.

228ced6d09f411c17d365c8fdce9d3ae.jpg&key=e1fc58b5aebdd0fde00ffffbf30da31bdaab5c7155b822bb559203602184a7f6

91881e1b6111cd77637c702cc6ce7a2d.jpg&key=e927e7fa2a1cdb468a5f3b668f95e7853553191b2eac45f1d9afda926e588bc4

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wood duck love them 

These birds are henned up, hard.  The miss earlier I had a hen putting at me from 15 feet away, getting ready to bust.  As soon as she moved I took the shot at the gobbler.  Evidently my depth perception sucks.  First bird of the day gobbled on the roost, hit the ground and walked down the hill.  Was fired up on the roost, 1 gobble from the ground.

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump