Need a New TV

mlammerhirt

Looking for a new TV

Over the winter/spring we had a 16x19 addition put into the house basically making up a new family/living room.

Looking for something in 70" range.....I think the room can support bigger just not sure about my wallet.

Need to know what to look for? Are they all basically the same? We have Verizon FiOS and watch a fair share of Netflix. Home many HDMI ports are needed?

Also will most likely be getting a sound bar.....looking for ideas about those as well.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Budget, budget, budget.  you can get a RCA 70" 4k for $550 at Walmart or spend $13,000 for the same size.  I saw an LG 4k 70"my buddy picked up at Walmart and I think it was in the $750 range. Great picture.  I am in the market myself and that's what I am getting. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I've been very happy with my last two purchases of Samsung TV's.  I think the current one is 65"? 

I'm also in need of a sound bar, bad need actually.  I have a hard time with movies on Netflix......everybody freaking mumbles.  :)

You MUST get a Smart TV, its cool putting pictures/ Youtube etc from your phone directly to your TV.  Great feature plus probably 6,459 more I haven't discovered yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Budget, budget, budget.  you can get a RCA 70" 4k for $550 at Walmart or spend $13,000 for the same size.  I saw an LG 4k 70"my buddy picked up at Walmart and I think it was in the $750 range. Great picture.  I am in the market myself and that's what I am getting. 

I agree. I bought a 70" Vizio D series for $600 around Christmas time at Sam's Club. I have a buddy who spent over 2k on a Samsung and I like mine better. Read reviews and you will find what you like, some are better for sports, gaming and some are better for movies. This website should give you something to do if your bored and help find exactly what is best for you.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/vizio-d-series-4k-2018-vs-vizio-v-series-2019/610/765

• Like 3

120 Hz refresh rate > 60 Hz for sports, etc.

The OLED TVs are incredible 

But the price on LED is great now, and the performance is still sufficient.

I recently bought a new Sony from Costco after looking at Sony, Samsung and LG.

A weird thing I looked into was the simplicity of the operating system and remotes.

I wanted to make sure my wife could work the TV without me there, as well as company/babysitters once this Coronavirus nonsense is done. 

I'm not a big TV/Movie watching guy so I don't need the best of the best or even close to it. Black Friday we picked up a 65" 4k Element Smart TV with Roku at Target for $289. Before buying the TV I hadn't even heard of an Element TV. The picture on it is amazing it does more than I need it to do and at that price point if it craps out in 5 years I'll go buy another one because from what I read even the high end TV's suck as far as longevity goes. We slapped our old Sony Sound Bar on it and hung both from the wall. 

• Like 1

Sound bar is key.  Sound sucks out of flat screens.  I have a bose and its only OK.   

I have nothing to offer on TVs other than they are all better and much less expensive than years ago.  I remember my first Samsung 50" DLP for $3500.  It was amazing.  Now you can grab a TV for $300 that is far better.  We have 2 LGs that are fine and were in the $500 range.  They are both 4-5 years old.  I am sure there are much better for cheaper now.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, mlammerhirt said:

Looking for a new TV

Over the winter/spring we had a 16x19 addition put into the house basically making up a new family/living room.

Looking for something in 70" range.....I think the room can support bigger just not sure about my wallet.

Need to know what to look for? Are they all basically the same? We have Verizon FiOS and watch a fair share of Netflix. Home many HDMI ports are needed?

Also will most likely be getting a sound bar.....looking for ideas about those as well.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I saw somebody post rtings.com reviews, those are pretty accurate for the most part.  Is somebody playing  video games on this TV?  That's kind of biggy for input delay.

59 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Sound bar is key.  Sound sucks out of flat screens.  I have a bose and its only OK.   

I have nothing to offer on TVs other than they are all better and much less expensive than years ago.  I remember my first Samsung 50" DLP for $3500.  It was amazing.  Now you can grab a TV for $300 that is far better.  We have 2 LGs that are fine and were in the $500 range.  They are both 4-5 years old.  I am sure there are much better for cheaper now.

My 32" Sony had a big processing unit that was bigger than an old VHS player.  It was about one of the first LCD's that came out. Was like $2600 and state of the art back then.