Need a scope recommendation

Hey guys so I’m a new hunter this season coming will be my second hunt. I have a savage trophy hunter xp in .308 with Nikon 3-9x40 and wanted to upgrade to a vortex scope. I hunt in upstate ny. Which do you guys recommend. Is it worth going with something higher like x44 or x50 or staying with 40? My budget is 400$ thx. 

the scope you have is perfect for around these parts, and pretty clear as well.. Unless your looking to go long range. Then find a viper hs with more magnification. 

If it is more clarity you're looking for I think you can find a clearer optic for that price in a different brand. All depends what your looking for. 

400$ budget for a Vortex, i think would put you in the wheelhouse of the vortex viper HS. I have one on my 6.5cm. 6.5-20x44. Pretty decent scope. But not near as clear as my Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15x50 .. for the same price range and Same warranty. 

For the price Im a big fan of Athlon over Vortex, but between the 2 brands they're my favorites for my hunting needs.. 

• Like 1

I have a Vortex Venom and with their customer service I would have no issue buying a Vortex product but your Nikon is a nice scope.....I have a prostaff 3x9x40. Only thing I don't care for is the BDC reticle.....

So my recommendation is keep what you got and buy ammo or a treestand or some hunting gear.....There is always something to spend money on......

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 1

Like every one else said, why feel the need to upgrade?  The Nikon is a very fine scope.  If you had $400 and deciding between the two, I'd pick the Vortex.  But if you already have the Nikon, you'll be spending a lot of money for a very small upgrade that you probably won't even notice.  Along with the time and energy to mount and sight in all over again.

Ok I think ill stick with the nikon on savage. I will be in thick woods so definitely wont shoot over 100 yards. Now that said i also have a mini 14 and a ruger 10/22 i need scopes for. the 22 i will use for small game. The mini 14  in the other hand i want to take to the range for long distance shooting 100-300 yards. lmk what you guys think also would like to stick with vortex  since i am a fan thanks !!

It is always best to try and match your scope to the caliber and the type of hunting you will be doing. You have stated that your Savage 308 will be used for short range woods hunting and your Mini 14 will be used for long distance shooting. I would take the Nikon 3X9 off the Savage and mount it on the Mini 14 where it's relatively high power can be utilized. For short range woods hunting field of view for me is more useful than high power as quick target acquisition can be more important than magnification. The majority of Deer I have killed has been with a slug gun out to around 100 yards and closer, the scope was just a straight 3X. personally  I would consider a regular 1X4 to maybe a 2X7 Leupold for the Savage 308 for the type of hunting you are wanting to do. As for the 10/22 most dedicated rimfire scopes will get the job done, buy the best one you can afford.

Al

• Like 2

I have a Simmons also on my 10/22.  Some people does competitive shooting with their 22LRs.  But if you're just taking tree rats, a Simmons works just fine.  They're cheap but they're one of the best values for the money.

Keep the scope you have, and put the money into ammo for the range. That is where most new hunters skimp. Various ranges in various lights, aim small to group small...from a rest until you are consistent. There is very seldom an opportunity in the field that DOESNT offer some sort of rest, if you practice from the bench, kneeling, sitting, even standing.

• Like 1

Weaver makes a really sweet little scope for rimfires. It would go very well on your 10/22. I have one on one of my 10/22s and i love it. Id leave the mini open sights. Keeping the Nikon is a wise choice.

well crap looks like that weaver scope has recently been discontinued. Leupold makes a great rimfire model as well. Thats what i would buy these days. Regular centerfire scopes generally have the parallax set for 100 yards instead of 50 like most rimfire scopes. Not to mention the weight and overall length difference. Having a well balanced setup is much to aim and carry. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

I absolutely agree with everyone who recommends you keep the Nikon. I have the exact same gun and scope as you have except mine is in 7mm-08 caliber. I hunt in the Finger Lakes area and find that gun and scope combo to be ideal for this area. I have a high end Zeiss scope on another rifle and I actually prefer the Nikon scope for hunting.          valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1