Dedicated Shotgun Scope

I need to put a scope on my newest shotgun, and I would like to stay around the $50-$75 price point. Everything I come across is either way over that or reviews say the scope fails after a few shots.

At first I was leaning towards a red dot, but now I think an actual reticle might be a better option for both turkey and deer without taking the scope off after the Fall to use for turkey in the Spring.

Do the masses have any assistance?

11 minutes ago, DDT said:

My suggestion would be to spend more than $75. 

Leupold, Burris or Nikon will hold up to shotgun recoil and keep accuracy.

Just my dos centavos.

This about sums it up. Shotguns are hard on scopes. Cheap ones wont last. They generally wont hold zero for too long. I tried a simmons scope in a 12 gauge wingmaster every time i shot it the poi was different. Look around on ebay, lots of used scopes to be had on there. 

If you can scrape up another $ 125 or so, you could get yourself a Redfield Revolution 2-7 which is made in Oregon, USA and currently owned by Leupold.  I put one on my deer gun last year and it seems pretty good.   It was very easy to sight in but I have not tried it on a deer yet.   Prior to that, I had a cheap Bushnell Banner on it but that would no longer hold zero after about 15 years of use.  

Edited by wolc123

Wolc, i think the older Bushnells are a different animal than the newer offerings, even the japanese made scopes (3200 elite etc...) 15 years of use from that bushnell banner isn’t bad really. Weaver can be a good option if you look around. However below 200 there isnt much to pick from that’s quality. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

The old Weaver's could certainly take a licking and keep ticking.  I used one on my hardest kicking gun (my grandad's old 6 pound Ithaca 16 gauge featherlight model 37) to take my first buck 35 years ago and my last doe last season.  It is a fixed 1.5 power and still holds a good zero.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

I would say to try and find one if possible closer to 150.  You could probably find a good used one.   I bought this tasco its 1.5×4 I believe. I think I picked it up for around 100 and sits on my Mossberg 500 20gauge.  It's held up to sabots recoil and 3inch turkey loads.  I don't know it it will hold up to a 12gauge.   It also doesn't get taken out much.  My 30-06 is my main deer gun and I like my single shot 20 for turkey and small game.  

20200712_101651.jpg

I had a Bausch and Lomb made Bushnell Elite  shotgun scope that I got at a very good discount at the plant here, thought I still had it,  looks like I don’t .

I do have a Nikon 3x9 BDC rifle scope sitting around , with rings . If you think you can make this work , I’d ship it to, you for $50 ? 

It came off my daughters rifle after she got scoped , ( not responsible for blood ) . She now uses a red dot, which at about 75 yards covers a LOT of the target ,something to keep in mind if you go that route .

2E668299-00FD-4615-8E0F-F9F0A3B26CE7.jpeg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Nice fat doe. I love the model 37, and 16 gauge is cool to boot. My 20 gauge 37 kicks like a 12 gauge haha. Not a beginners gun thats for sure. 

The reason the 16 gauge kicks so much is that it is built on a 20 gauge action but carries a 12 gauge load.  I am amazed that old Weaver has held up all those years.  I have shot that Ithaca a ton thru the years on the range (always using a very good recoil pad pinned on my shirt), because I had a good supply of slugs that I got for $ 1.00 a box when an old sporting goods store up in Brewerton went out of business.   My supply is getting low so I will probably back off on that a little.  There just does not seem to be any killing that old Weaver scope.  

Edited by wolc123

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I had a Bausch and Lomb made Bushnell Elite  shotgun scope that I got at a very good discount at the plant here, thought I still had it,  looks like I don’t .

I do have a Nikon 3x9 BDC rifle scope sitting around , with rings . If you think you can make this work , I’d ship it to, you for $50 ? 

It came off my daughters rifle after she got scoped , ( not responsible for blood ) . She now uses a red dot, which at about 75 yards covers a LOT of the target ,something to keep in mind if you go that route .

2E668299-00FD-4615-8E0F-F9F0A3B26CE7.jpeg

Deal of the year right here!!!!! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

@Nomad , what are the odds the rings will fit a picatinny rail? I plan to put this on a Savage 301 20GA Turkey Obsession.

That's a great deal, let me check the bank account and with the wife on this one.

No,hurry . Looks like it’ll drop,right on , came off this Savage savage .

A4778C73-422F-4BDF-9906-BF42EF6C8045.jpeg

65008476-19EF-4B3F-BC27-3956A940EA6D.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have this on my 12 works great. Plus I love the circle X reticle. https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-Circle-X-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B00XRE8O9K

The circle fits the kill zone perfect at 100. 

0029757561862a.jpg

IMG_20200412_132433871.thumb.jpg.43be618bbe63d156059c3dbea49a7603.jpg

That is the same reticle that was on the Bushnell Banner 3X that was on my Marlin 512 slugmaster.   It worked very good for me until 2018, when I could see two bulls-eyes at 100 yards when sighting it in.   I moved in to the 50 yard bench, where it was just one slightly fuzzy bull, to check my zero that year.  

I had killed quite a few antlerless deer with that combo, over a 15 year stretch, but I did not take a shot at an antlered buck with it until 2018.   I hit that one (3) times, the first slug passing thru slightly behind center, just below the spine and the second passing thru the spine about 2" above the first.   Both shots were about 24" to the left of my intended point of aim (his front shoulder).   A third "finisher" to the neck from point-blank range was required.  Later that season, I missed a doe clean with the gun, so that was it for the scope.  

I had also dropped it in a swamp, while dragging out the buck carcass, which likely aggravated the situation.  Prior to that year, I was very happy with the Bushnell Banner, and it seemed tough.  One time I dropped the gun about 15 feet, from my tallest tree-stand, onto the frozen ground.  That sheared the scope base mounting bolts clean off.  I drilled out the threads and re-tapped the next larger size, re-attached the scope and larger base mounting bolts, and got a few more deer out of it prior to 2018.  My longest kill with it was a big doe at 163 yards.              

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1