How many of you smoke in the woods

noodle one

I quit thankfully, but I did smoke in the woods for about 13 years. As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, the past two seasons I HAVEN'T smoked in the woods, and I only saw ONE doe in those two seasons!

One year I was tracking a buck I shot with a guy I know. We took a break and were standing there talking and I lit up a smoke. A doe came walking towards us, walking on the bucks track that I just shot. We stood still, she walked with in 10 feet of us, then walked around me(about 2 feet behind me, while I was holding the cigarette), then back onto the bucks tracks. It was pretty wild.

I haven't smoked for years, but until I was 30 or so, I smoked 2 packs a day, including when I was hunting.

I think that the MOVEMENT required to smoke a cigarette is more apt to give you away than the smell..

If the deer is DOWNWIND, he's going to smell you regardless of what you do.

If the deer is upwind, he's not going to smell a smoker any quicker than a non smoker.

I wonder how many deer you guys never seen that spooked from the smell of the smoke. I think you guys are kidding yourselves thinking it doesnt bother them. I dont know about you but how many wood stoves fires have you seen in the middle of the woods lol.

Where I hunt, houses are far more prevalent than woods. They smell smoke all the time. Theoretically, it's been said that deer can also smell whether you're a meat eater. Should we all stop eating meat also? I actually saw a deer yesterday-a doe, in fact, walk right into a smoke cloud from a chimney-no bs. Didn't bother her a bit.

I am not sure.. The fact that I can smell a smoker 20 yards away MYSELF though tells me it is probably not a good thing. BTW, I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago and the one thing I found out afterwards is that smokers smell absolutely horrid. I can't believe I walked around for so many years smelling like that.. Just saying.. :)

A deer that is upwind of you is not going to be able to smell the cig smoke. I smoked for the entire time I hunted up until the year before last, and I shot a ton of deer before that. I smoked in my stand all the time. If you smoke, you just need to worry about playing the wind more.

Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did.

I don't smoke but my brother does and when we hunt together he goes through 6-7 cigs while hunting and it does not make a difference, we had deer come in while smoking and after smoking and hunted around different areas and always smacked deer. I think there attracted to the smoke...