Climbing Tree stand?

backstrapbuster

Recently i've been considering getting a climbing tree stand. I have way to many stands now and am tired of buying and building afew each year. I'm looking for something that can hold some heavy weight, easy to use, and good for bow hunting. Price doesn't matter because i plan on making it a long term investment. I keep looking at the lone wolf sit and climb, any knowledge on that, as well as other climbers would be greatly appreciated.

I use a Treewalker and have been very pleased with it. I am bigger than average (!!) as I go 240 and 5'11.5" (never made 6') and the TW works great for me.

I had a couple Summit stands and they were nice enough but I have no regrets.

Summit is probably the king of climbers as far as sales go?

Try and test each one out BEFORE you buy if possible. Locate a couple different guys in your area with the stands you are interested in and test drive 'em.

Also, check out the return policy of Dicks, Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shop. Buy/return or keep. Good plan?

Where do you live? I'm in the Buffalo area if you wanted to try the TW as they are a mail order deal.

Have a good harness yet? THAT is your first move.......................

Lone Wolf - ultimate mobile hunting stands...the climbers are sturdy and lightweight, pack the best of all climbers, and are quiet during setup. The con for some people is comfort - 50/50 chance you'll think it's comfortable.

Summit...comfy. Packing, bulk, and noise is not as good as the LW. But....if the comfort keeps you hunting, then it's a better option.

I've seen about half the people say climbing is better with one rather than the other. It's a toss-up, I guess.

I have a Summit and a LW. I much prefer the LW since I don't often use climbers for all day sits. It is not as comfy, but I deal for 3-5 hours a sit. I also think the LW will be a much better long-term investment for you...no welds to break.

Edited by phade

I have tried cheap climbers, and they are a waste of money. Noisy, heavy and uncomfortable. The Lone Wolf sit and climb is nice. The summits are just plain solid, light (aluminum models), comfortable, and you can get different sizes for average or bigger guys. The selection of accessories can't be beat etiher. I have the Viper SS and would only consider getting one of the larg aluminum Summits or the Lone Wolf.

I don't exclusively use the climber, it's just another stand option for certain areas and state land. I've used it a lot this year trying to figure out where to put my hang one and ladder stands for next year.

Which ever one you go with get one thats light weight. Alot of climbers are bulky and if you add weight to the bulk you're not going to want to carry it around if you want to move it from spot to spot, if you want to change locations. I have two summit vipers. They are very light for their size (aluminum I think), sturdy and quiet. A friend bought a summit this year thats made of steel. It weighs a ton and he complained about it all season

I own a Summit Viper and it is easy as can be to climb with, nice big shooting rail to sit on while climbing, very secure while climbing. Nice comfy seat and great platform to stand on while standing. I am a big guy, 260 lbs maybe more with all the gear on. I have used a lone wolf sit and climb and it is very nice, but a bit snug for big guys and the rail you sit on while climbing is not quite as secure. Both the summit and the Lone Wolf are right around 20 lbs. Go with the summit in my opinion.

Edited by 88GW

I've been using an API bowhunter for many years. I like the open front and the hand grips keep you secure in the middle of the stand. With the long chains,I think it can handle a much larger tree than the summits. You'll need some upper body strength to use it though! The only issue I've had is that the shrink wrap on the chains will crack after a few years.Bass Pro carries them.

What area are you from??? I still have 3 summits and i am selling one of the open shots i have. This stand is made for the bow hunter in mind all the way. You dont have the rail in front of you when you are standing getting ready for bow shots!! I have alot of guys that hunt on my land and that travel with me and they all have summits..with most havin 2 or 3!!

I use my climber a lot on Li I had the viper classic LOVED IT super comfortable, but kinda heavy , very reliable never an issue in about 7 yrs. I wanted a newer lighter stand for longer walks my uncle who owns a ton of gear and many years hunting said his lone wolf hand climber while very light was also super uncomfortable. My wife just got me the summit bushmaster a lot lighter and still comfortable. I love summit products. My bro has a viper and my good friendly a goliath both also love it. Go summit.

Summit all the way. I got my second viper off a friend for $100 bucks brand new. After testing it out on a tree in his yard he decided he didn't like the feeing of going up and down in a climber. I guess their not for everyone, but SCORE for me. His butt never even touched the seat.

• 1 month later...

Cool, what model did you get? Buy any extras?

I use Summit bags on mine. had some lfet over from my other climbers. I use at least two bags, one side bag and one in the front with the zipper facing in towards me. I put my haul ropes in the side bag. Althou I bought a Chill Pad, I think I only used it a couple times. The side arm pads the sell are OK.

• 3 weeks later...

My Buddy NYBOB had a climber for years one of the top brands and at 75 he felt it was just like shooting the bow, you know how to shoot and how to setup your climber. But last year we almost lost him as he was turned upside down and hung from his kegs for several hours till his son found him. The had to use a tree picker to get him down and then fly him out to the nearest critical care center. He is now on the mend. His legs do not work as well. SO his words are use a ladder stree stand.

My Buddy NYBOB had a climber for years one of the top brands and at 75 he felt it was just like shooting the bow, you know how to shoot and how to setup your climber. But last year we almost lost him as he was turned upside down and hung from his kegs for several hours till his son found him. The had to use a tree picker to get him down and then fly him out to the nearest critical care center. He is now on the mend. His legs do not work as well. SO his words are use a ladder stree stand.

What kind of safety harness was NYBOB wearing when he had this trouble?

Yea they can be dangerous if not setup properly and if not using a saftey belt. I have been using a summit bushmaster stand for the last few years and have had not major problems. I recently bought a lone wolf hand climber with the sit strap and it is an awesome stand!!!! easy to setup and pack in. It is bascially like sitting in a lockon b/c there is no major bar around you on the top end. Great stand cant recommend it enough!!.

John