Bait or attractants

courtguy2005

Like I said, I hear the same argument from each and every person I know who rely solely on a bait pile. "It's the same as a food plot."

It isn't. Not even close. Ignorance is all that comes to mind. JMHO

I guess you hunt with a bunch of unethical hunters, did you ever think to call the DEC. Sounds like you know quite a few baiters.

i wish everyone including those that baited, from a bag or a field, took the time to improve the habitat on public land,

*create a brush pile, cut out invasive plants, selective cut or freed up heritage apple trees. The land would be incredibly productive with no need of plots or food piles.

Here we return to the DEC responsibility...for doing any of those things on state land would be ..correct me...illegal....The DEC has to start actually managing the states lands for better habitat....for could you imagine the ...'Cluster..." that would ensue if ppl started doing this at random on state land....

hunter49...I believe a lot more than you may think...I plot because I just plain ole enjoy planting things ...cutting wood....experimenting and improving our lands..it is just plainly put a hobby...like snowmobiling...skiing..neither to which I care for...like every year I plan and build a new tree stand or elevated blind or ground blind...I couldn't possible hunt all the I think 30+ I'm up to now every year...but I just luv the challenge....out of 4 kills this year only one deer was any where near a food plot..

I think there are a lot of guys....probably not gals..but guys just like me out there

Here we return to the DEC responsibility...for doing any of those things on state land would be ..correct me...illegal....The DEC has to start actually managing the states lands for better habitat....for could you imagine the ...'Cluster..." that would ensue if ppl started doing this at random on state land....

hunter49...I believe a lot more than you may think...I plot because I just plain ole enjoy planting things ...cutting wood....experimenting and improving our lands..it is just plainly put a hobby...like snowmobiling...skiing..neither to which I care for...like every year I plan and build a new tree stand or elevated blind or ground blind...I couldn't possible hunt all the I think 30+ I'm up to now every year...but I just luv the challenge....out of 4 kills this year only one deer was any where near a food plot..

I think there are a lot of guys....probably not gals..but guys just like me out there

Grows you have to admit that the food plots had something to do with your success 4 deer. Our camp has close to 350 acres to hunt and we totaled 4 deer between 13 guys. No food plots, and you got 4 deer by yourself. Something is bringing those deer to your land, food plots!!!!!!!JMHO

i wish everyone including those that baited, from a bag or a field, took the time to improve the habitat on public land,

*create a brushpile, cut out invasive plants, selective cut or freed up heritage apple trees. The land would be incredibly productive with no need of plots or food piles.

It would be one heck of a great idea if the DEC would organize these kinds of activities for state lands and supervise such volunteer work-partys. Perhaps working in concert with rod & gun clubs as club projects, some nifty habitat improvement projects could be worked on. Also well publicized projects of this nature to seek assistance from non-affiliated hunters maybe would work out pretty good if only they would try some of that.

However, as it stands right now, if you go on state lands (public lands) to "create a brushpile, cut out invasive plants, selective cut or freed up heritage apple trees", you most likely would encounter a series of fines that would put a significant dent in your life savings.

Dave ...we have a hay field and a corn field bordering the South ...a hay field bordering the east and swamps and streams bordering north and west of us and large pine plantations all around us...as I said they eat on us ate night...but we are basically the travel area between bedding areas....when we started out with just 9 1/2 acres I was killing 2-4 deer a year here...no plots

Do I have some skill... yep...but the main thing I have is time....I can hunt and do every single day from Oct to Dec...If you all want to know what the true magic bullet is to hunting....It's simply time

The number of deer shot by a person does little or nothing to prove a person hunts over bait or a plot. Heck i took 5 deer this year and 4 were in a woodlot of 10 acres. Not a seed planted or bait spread. I know several guys this year who plotted ten+ acres and shot nothing or one doe.

Diference between bait piles and food plots?.....None! The objective of both is to lure game to be shot/killed. If you hunt over a food plot...you are baiting. I will accept no arguments to the contrary.

So no hunting farm fields , near oak trees or apple orchards . What a crock !!!

Ahhh....You are obviously a food plotter....and, you are not whining, but you are protesting. C'mon...man up: Be honest as to what you are doing! Your argument is so obvious....you are trying to cover your butt. Pleas admit what you are doing...and why. (We won't forgive you...but at least the truth will be on the table!)

I have talked to a couple of biologists at the DEC about this subject; they believe there is no difference between planting corn or some other crop or dumping it in a pile and shooting a deer over it. It’s still baiting not habitat improvement. In the eyes of the law however if you plant it, it is agriculture if you pile it, it is baiting

I have talked to a couple of biologists at the DEC about this subject; they believe there is no difference between planting corn or some other crop or dumping it in a pile and shooting a deer over it. It’s still baiting not habitat improvement. In the eyes of the law however if you plant it, it is agriculture if you pile it, it is baiting

Obviously those were uneducated people calling themselves biologists that have no idea what they are talking about.

Now I know that I gather a lot of bits and pieces of information while cruising the net...but pics tend to cohere with the words...and I believe I've seen pics with text of the DEC actually giving awards to ppl in QDM for improvement efforts in land habitat....Now I know if it wasn't NYDEC that there are several other state conservation Departments that have...By the way easily checked out.

Now before another diversion is zipped out there...I am not a fan of QDM...but in land management as a whole....so if you want to put out statements like that please inform us of the enlightened NYS Biologist names...for I would truly like to hear these type of statements from the horses mouth ..sorta speak

To another little ditty also posted in the Turkey forum....what in blue blazes do you think the wild Turkey Federation has been doing for years now....if it weren't for their efforts in not only relocating but improving turkey habitat through planting...we wouldn't have the thriving population we have now...as far as your

Why not just spread cracked corn on the ground. Easier than doing a food plot....and you get the same result: easy kill turieys!!!!
...perhaps you should spend a bit more time in the turkey woods hunting instead of fuming over not being able to legally sit over your cracked corn...just a thought Edited by growalot

(We won't forgive you...but at least the truth will be on the table!)

By the way whose we??...Do you have a mouse in your pocket...I love the oblique "We"..

"I" will end my part of this in stating ...I don't really give a rats pututy what you think of my improving my property ...nor do I give a flying squirrel as to your opinions as to why I'm able to take game or not...for I know why...and I can be proud of my efforts...and feel a little sad at your need to try and diminish ANYONE elses accomplishments afield in your broad strokes of innuendo...and if this is all due to you having a bad season...I wish ya luck for this year

Edited by growalot

I don't own any property to have food plots and I don't hunt any property with food plots but I don't see anything wrong with them . I just think it's foolish to hear someone state that a field where animals can come and go in any direction for food and a pile of corn are the same !

No doubt , someone is bored .................

• Like 1

You know what really gets me???? Some people can get on a public site and talk about something that they show they know jacksh!t about. You guys that talk about the cause of cwd and where cwd came from and how it came to being in ny state really should read up on some info before you make a dipsh!t of yurself to all that read these fourms!!!!!!

You know what really gets me???? Some people can get on a public site and talk about something that they show they know jacksh!t about. You guys that talk about the cause of cwd and where cwd came from and how it came to being in ny state really should read up on some info before you make a dipsh!t of yurself to all that read these fourms!!!!!!

Happy New Year to you too.

Dave ...we have a hay field and a corn field bordering the South ...a hay field bordering the east and swamps and streams bordering north and west of us and large pine plantations all around us...as I said they eat on us ate night...but we are basically the travel area between bedding areas....when we started out with just 9 1/2 acres I was killing 2-4 deer a year here...no plots

Do I have some skill... yep...but the main thing I have is time....I can hunt and do every single day from Oct to Dec...If you all want to know what the true magic bullet is to hunting....It's simply time

Also to be considered is where Dave hunts and where you hunt. Deer density is dramatically different between the two areas, you can't really compare the two to begin with.

I have to chime in here, there is a huge difference. Food plots do a lot more for the wildlife then dumping a pile corn, such as creating an amazing habitat for everything wild in the woods. When I'm not so tired, I'll explain further.

Sorry John forgot to add that in too...

Wasn't the CWD found in deer that were confined in a fenced in area originally? Deer farms etc. Not form the wild. Have they stopped feeding deer in these deer farms? Have they shut any of them down because of CWD? Or is it still ok to feed deer in a confined area, where this CWD started but not in the wild? We know the answer to that, ban feeding deer in the wild. We should have closed all deer farms that would have solved the problem. Like Doc said the laws don't make a whole lot of sense but it's the law.

This ought to clear this up...

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has received confirmation of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) from two wild white-tailed deer sampled in central New York.

The first positive result in a wild deer was announced on April 27, 2005 and came from a yearling white-tailed deer sampled from the Town of Verona, Oneida County. The second positive result is from a three year old doe, located within a mile of the location where the initial positive result was detected. These are the first known occurrences of CWD in wild deer in New York State.

Since CWD testing began in 2002, a total of just over 32,000 deer have been sampled statewide, including 7,300 deer directly from the Oneida/Madison County containment area. Despite intensive testing of wild white-tailed deer, no additional cases have been detected in the New York since 2005.

As a follow up from the DEC so we're all clear and educated arguments can continue knowing the facts..

DEC will continue annual statewide surveillance sampling and testing of suspected clinical deer. Restrictions will be maintained on importation of risk materials in parts and carcasses from most states and provinces. Restrictions on the feeding of wild deer and moose will remain in effect. DEC will also continue to require all persons holding special licenses to possess captive white-tailed deer to comply with the cervid health program requirements administered by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets (DAM).

Edited by nyantler

Cant make a point without cursing?

Better get use to it.. It happens all the time..LOL

Good answer joe and to add to it our case of cwd came from out west and was brought into ny state by a deer farm that was a taxidermist. That is the reason every deer farm in the country has cleaner animals than there is in the wild. Every farm is held to the upmost testing known to man. We have to cwd test on dead animals, We have to be tb tested every three years and we have a herd inventory done by the state to insure that all animals are accounted for!! Trust me when i say ny state has our best intrests in mind when it comes to the deer farming part. Ny state is the hardest state in the country to get any new deer into. The guy that had deer was very sloppy with his taxidermy animals and with his deer he kept for his visual to mount deer. He let them in contact with cwd material and he let them escape his farm. I would go out on a limb and say you will never see cwd in ny again but if it does it wont be from a deer farm!!!!! Steve sorry for the kinda cursing but sometimes people just dont have a clue what their words( which are totally false) can do to others!!!!