they got them all...

Fed the goats late yesteray...bail of hay warm water and plenty of feed...they were bagged up getting ready to deliver....Mr.B. plowed a path thru 1 1/2 ft of snow to the barn and no goats at the gate...they were Sananns and wht...it took a second to realize they were scattered across the paddock under a blanket of snow...with fetuses...we lost 7 last night....several tracks were just visible coming thru the back feild fencing across pasture and thru the paddock fencing...Over the years we've lost several kids and 3adult goats to yotes.......they won...I'm done

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your loss, Grow...

A friend of mine has pygmy goats ( no joke) and has lots of coyotes on his land, but he has two Great Pyrenees that live in the pasture/barn with the goats, so he has no predator problems.

Back when I was a kid, my folks raised sheep. We had several attacks from feral dogs such that after being in business for about 7 years, we had a flock that was significantly smaller than when we started. We were driven out of business by predation too. It was a pretty sad thing going out to the barnyard and finding dead sheep all over the place as well as others that were so wounded they had to be put down.

Of course back then, coyotes were unheard of in our area, but today I often wonder how anyone can successfully raise sheep, goats, or those alpaca things or any kind of small critters with the coyote numbers exploding across the state.

Thanks for the offer but I yote hunt and Mr. B has A guy that comes out ....I back tracked today and found where they are coming in off our place...and then found 2 dens with fresh urine drips near the entrances on the side of gully on our place.......Actually I'm going to set up on the bodies.....they may as well help kill their killers...temps here have been so very cold ...-4 last night

When I called another local farmer to give the heads up....horses...sheep and goats....she told me that down by them her spouse and a few others took 15 out in one week end last winter...just a 1/2 mile away....she said that they've been seeing them a lot that they figured they were going into heat and up roaming....four times as many yote and fox tracks on us as there are deer...not good....perhaps not as many deer taken here as I thought...I did find 2 doe(deer) taken down to clean bone a couple of weeks ago....howling has had our shepards barking in the kennel all night for weeks now...

I have to be honest....when I went out today and saw the massive whole they tore in the back pasture fence...well my first thought was a bear had to do that...though I know that not to be the case...I have to get pics...it really is very large with the wire all ripped open and bent toward the pasture...these goats were fully horned and adults....I found 6 sets of tracks and they were held by the hind quarters and belly while the throats were ripped out

I have to be honest....when I went out today and saw the massive whole they tore in the back pasture fence...well my first thought was a bear had to do that...though I know that not to be the case...I have to get pics...it really is very large with the wire all ripped open and bent toward the pasture...these goats were fully horned and adults....I found 6 sets of tracks and they were held by the hind quarters and belly while the throats were ripped out

Sounds more like dogs to me... Coyotes are more interested in eating...Dogs are much more likely just to kill for sport..

Coyotes might come over a fence or dig under it, but if the fence is busted I would say that dogs are more likely the culprits.

Sounds more like dogs to me... Coyotes are more interested in eating...Dogs are much more likely just to kill for sport..

Coyotes might come over a fence or dig under it, but if the fence is busted I would say that dogs are more likely the culprits.

I would have to agree, we could always tell when an wild animal got one of our rabbits or chickens. It would just vanish or you would find a pile of picked clean bones.On the other hand when the neighbors Dog broke down the chicken fence and killed 23 chickens they were mauled but that was it. Caught another neighbor hood dog with one of our rabbits he had just dragged through a hole in the coop tossing it around like a rag doll. I would have to say that unless large portions of the goats were eaten then it would have to be tame dogs.

Then I would suggest radiator fluid soaked meat.

Edited by erussell

It does sound like the work of dogs. When they got into our sheep, it was obvious that they were doing it for "sport". They just chased, killed (or wounded) and then moved on to the next one and then finally left without eating any of them. I would not expect that behavior of coyotes. They are in it for the food.

It does sound like the work of dogs. When they got into our sheep, it was obvious that they were doing it for "sport". They just chased, killed (or wounded) and then moved on to the next one and then finally left without eating any of them. I would not expect that behavior of coyotes. They are in it for the food.

I agree, sounds like dogs not yotes.

Wow ...Dave ...such a class act...really...we had these goats for years and I helpd deliver two of them ...nice guy thanks

I won't get into details....but there was a reason I knew that with fetuses 7 goats were killed...just 2 females were bred...and the billy...besides being ripped apart had his entire face missing....we've had yorte attacks in the past...it was yotes...not that there isn't a problem with running dogs

Edited by growalot

Wow ...Dave ...such a class act...really...we had these goats for years and I helpd deliver two of them ...nice guy thanks

I won't get into details....but there was a reason I knew that with fetuses 7 goats were killed...just 2 females were bred...and the billy...besides being ripped apart had his entire face missing....we've had yorte attacks in the past...it was yotes...not that there isn't a problem with running dogs

Grow's what's that suppose to mean "class act". Just referencing your problems with your neighbors period. Sorry for the loss of your goats. No disrespect intended.

Dave