Broadcasting corn & beans

I was wondering if one doesnt have a drill, has any one experimented with broadcasting corn and beans over a 1.5 acre plot & then dragging a log over the seeds.

I have plowed and then levelled everything back up to create a smooth seed bed. Thinking will mix in some oats in there along with radish..

Deer population is very low at most have 2 doe and 1 buck in the area.

Thoughts?

I have broadcasted both corn and beans with good results.  I had decent corn last year, despite the drought.  I tilled, dragged lightly and rolled with a lawn roller. 

I have attracted a larger number of does in the past couple years, so I won't fool with beans any more.  I could fence them and they would do fine.  Just don't have the time and energy.  The drought was so bad last year that they started eating my young corn plants.

I also made a simple jab seeder to fill in spots or to replant small areas.  It's just a 3 foot piece of 1/2" PVC.  I cut an angle on one end, added a T and a short piece for a step and stuck a little funnel on top.  It works well.  You can plant surprisingly fast.

Good luck.  As long as your soil is worked up fairly well you should do fine.  Then it's just a matter of fighting with the crows, coons, skunks etc.

• Like 1

I would also recommend leaving the soybeans out of your spring corn planting.  If you add them to the mix in the spring, deer and other critters will mow everything down,  long before hunting season.  Many have got decent corn plots by broadcasting and dragging as you mentioned. 

Save your soybeans for planting until Sept 1 or so, and add to a broadcast mix of wheat and white clover.  Since global warming kicked in, we have been getting later frosts, so those sprouting soybeans might add some attraction into early bow season, if you hold off that long to plant them.

• Like 1

Both bean and corn can be lightly disked in. 1.5 to 2 in deep is best,

Soybean will be wiped out unless its large plot 3.5 to 5 acres min. You will find you have more Deer than you think as your plot is gone in days..

One thing to be careful of when broadcasting a corn plot is to not use too much seed. I have done a plot like this many times and I have over seeded more than I would like to admit. It makes for some pretty tiny ears.

• Like 1

The best way IMO when broadcasting corn is to leave shallow rows where your disc or drag cuts, broadcast your corn over the plot. This way most of the corn seed will fall into these rows your tines or discs just cut. Then go back and run a drag of some sort over the top to knock the high rows down. This will cover your corn seeds and flatten your plot out some. Now that your plot will be somewhat smooth, spread your soybeans over the top. IF rain isnt immediately following, roll or pack this plot in. 

Soybeans can sit on top of that soil and rain will germinate them with absolutely zero issues.

Corn seeds needs to be covered. I hope the crows and birds don't pick all your corn sprouts out of the ground once they pop lol. 

As for your radish and oats, do them in a separate plot. Corn does not like competition and is a real nutrient hog.  And if your doing this for summer, id probably choose a different blend of seeds. Unless this will be a fall planted plot. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

The plan is to pull in deer, I really wish I had more. I may split the plot and do half with corn and beans on the other.
Even if its wiped out by late summer, I will do another planting in fall for the season.

I would take corn out of your blend if it were me. Corn is good but if you only have one plot. There is far better choices IMO. A big legume mix let the deer feed in it throughout summer .. kill half of it or 2/3 of it late July. Do a brassica/ bulb blend for winter and then in late august kill the remainder of the plot and do a big cool season blend of cereals, clovers, radish, peas and maybe some more soybeans. You will certainly pull deer. 100% that’s what I would do. Corn requires a lot of fertilizer for good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I would take corn out of your blend if it were me. Corn is good but if you only have one plot. There is far better choices IMO. A big legume mix let the deer feed in it throughout summer .. kill half of it or 2/3 of it late July. Do a brassica/ bulb blend for winter and then in late august kill the remainder of the plot and do a big cool season blend of cereals, clovers, radish, peas and maybe some more soybeans. You will certainly pull deer. 100% that’s what I would do. Corn requires a lot of fertilizer for good results.

I have had the whole plot in clover, brassica and radish for the last 2 yr and it was 80% left when I plowed it in this week. The deer didnt even touch the brassica or turnips. Maybe a bite at most here and there.

I am not set to do corn but want to plant something different now. Maybe try BigNBeasty mix. Always read good things about it.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

I have had the whole plot in clover, brassica and radish for the last 2 yr and it was 80% left when I plowed it in this week. The deer didnt even touch the brassica or turnips. Maybe a bite at most here and there.

Sometimes it does take several years to get deer to eat winter plots. Are you surrounded by heavy agriculture ? I heard the same thing from heavy ag areas.
There could be a few things keeping them from eating them.
This is one reason why I like big seed blends, they like one seed, they are bound to eat all the others at some point. Plus each seed is preferred at a little different time in season and at different temperatures. Also, I found in areas that they don’t seem to touch the brassica tops or bulbs much.. add a blend of cold hardy annual clovers in with it or next to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Sometimes it does take several years to get deer to eat winter plots. Are you surrounded by heavy agriculture ? I heard the same thing from heavy ag areas.
This is one reason why I like big seed blends, they like one seed, they are bound to eat all the others at some point. Plus each seed is preferred at a little different time in season and at different temperatures. Also, I found in areas that they don’t seem to touch the brassica tops or bulbs much.. add a blend of cold hardy annual clovers in with it or next to it.

No not much ag in the immediate area, maybe 2-3 miles away I guess there are plenty of corn and bean farms. Only thing closest is a hay farm.

No not much ag in the immediate area, maybe 2-3 miles away I guess there are plenty of corn and bean farms. Only thing closest is a hay farm.

I wouldn’t give up as it is a good food source. And maybe just put more different seeds into your blend, and remember fall planted clovers don’t do much anything until spring. Lots of options still for winter foods..

But your soybeans are even better as far as winter protein and along with corn for carbs and energy. Can’t hurt in trying sir.

YouJust will have to put the fertilizer to the corn. Also, if you do go this route, and broadcast together and plan to shoot into this plot. A ton of random placed(broadcasted) corn stalks within a bean field will limit your shot opportunities.

1 minute ago, LET EM GROW said:

I wouldn’t give up as it is a good food source. And maybe just put more different seeds into your blend, and remember fall planted clovers don’t do much anything until spring. Lots of options still for winter foods..

But your soybeans are even better as far as winter protein and along with corn for carbs and energy. Can’t hurt in trying sir.

YouJust will have to put the fertilizer to the corn. Also, if you do go this route, and broadcast together and plan to shoot into this plot. A ton of random placed(broadcasted) corn stalks within a bean field will limit your shot opportunities.

Good tip on the corn stalks blocking shots, i may plant them on the north end and leave them as a late season food source if they make it.

The blind is on the south end, dead center of the east west. This is an almost perfectly rectangular plot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Whichever you choose keep us posted with pics too if you think of it. I love this stuff. Best of luck sir!

I totally agree, this a lot more fun than sitting behind a computer screen for 8-10hrs :)

The soil ph test came back at a crazy 7.8

I plan to plant it today as rain is expected tomorrow. Have all the seeds on hand. Just have to figure out the blend

Tons of beans, winter peas, white Clover and enough corn. Unlimited supply of oats ..lol

• Like 1

I totally agree, this a lot more fun than sitting behind a computer screen for 8-10hrs
I plan to plant it today as rain is expected tomorrow. Have all the seeds on hand. Just have to figure out the blend
Tons of beans, winter peas, white Clover and enough corn. Unlimited supply of oats ..lol

I know I enjoy this more than actually hunting LOL. Weird I know

Awesome! I’d save the peas and oats for fall. Spread the clover over top lightly after you plant your big seeds. Unless your planting round up ready and intend to spray them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I know I enjoy this more than actually hunting LOL. Weird I know

Awesome! I’d save the peas and oats for fall. Spread the clover over top lightly after you plant your big seeds. Unless your planting round up ready and intend to spray them.

I tend to enjoy gardening so this part of fun for me at a much larger scale.

Its a journey for hunting and conservation. Building it for my 13 yrd old. I wont shoot anything in this plot. maybe ;)

Edited by suburbanfarmer

You always have the option of fencing your plot to keep the deer from killing it.  This works very well with smaller plots of beans and even corn.  You can use the thin nylon with wire in it and a solar fencer.  Staggering the fence by 3ish feet will keep them primarily out as they don't have depth perception.  Then you can take the fence down closer to fall and you will actually have a crop of beans and corn that they can forage on all season as well as into winter.

1 hour ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I totally agree, this a lot more fun than sitting behind a computer screen for 8-10hrs :)

Just wondering what type of corn seed? RR seed ?

If so did you purchase locally? 

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I think alot of brassicas that don't get hit can also be factored in by how early they were planted - I've become more of a fan of planting them later than we historically did by about 2-3 weeks. Seems to have had better results - less tonnage obviously but more preferred. Agreed on the heavy ag...it seems to dampen their preference a bit. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, phade said:

I think alot of brassicas that don't get hit can also be factored in by how early they were planted - I've become more of a fan of planting them later than we historically did by about 2-3 weeks. Seems to have had better results - less tonnage obviously but more preferred. Agreed on the heavy ag...it seems to dampen their preference a bit. 

I have been planting them in august, so some of the turnips were basketball sized.

Agreed completely. In my neck of the woods, 1st week of august would make softball size bulbs in an average growing season. That’s when I shoot for slinging winter seeds. I do like to save a bit of seed and throw it a couple weeks later to have the best of both worlds. If I know I’ll have time to be back to spread more anyways. But agreed completely.