New Gov, Full inclusion???

Gobbler Chaser

1 minute ago, Just Lucky said:

What's easy hunting?

Lol no comment 

You know my father us to go hunting with a double barrel shot gun dressed in blue jeans and those old time checkered red jackets walk in the woods smoking a cigarette and kill deer lol with no stand no nothing .

Now how much crap do  people use lol  and people still complain.   If you got a  good spot with lots of deer you going to get them if you are a good  shot and got good eyes steady hands and know the trails they take .

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Seeing how crossbow and bait is  such a  popular  topic on all these forums I wonder how many actually follow the regulations  now .  Especially on private land . Probably going on anyway so maybe  regulations  should be changed or in forced better . Just saying looks like everyone  wants easy hunting these days .   

Easy hunting?  Is it really that hard to kill a deer today with any implement?  One might say..I don’t have a lot of deer on my land.. So go where there is!  I have said it many times.  Does not take much fortitude to kill just any deer with any of today’s weapons. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Easy hunting?  Is it really that hard to kill a deer today with any implement?  One might say..I don’t have a lot of deer on my land.. So go where there is!  I have said it many times.  Does not take much fortitude to kill just any deer with any of today’s weapons. 

Yea to me don't care one way or the other . As long as there deer around were I'm hunting that's all  I care about  .

As long as what ever  rule  they make leaves  plenty of deer around not my business what people use to hunt  them with really . 

Edited by phantom

5 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

There certainly have been days that hunting is "easier" than others. Some days I can see 20 plus deer, other days, can cover alot of ground and see nothing. Some seasons can be "easier" than others. But with the length of the season, there will be meat in the freezer, and perhaps another taxidermy bill. 

So, exactly why do we have all these special seasons? Why not just have a deer hunting season where you use whatever you want. Perhaps that is the solution to all the controversy.

Personally o kind of like the different seasons. It’s kind of like having multiple opening days. Something to look forward to. I don’t consider myself a bow hunter or gun hunter to muzzle loader hunter or crossbow hunter. More just a hunter
  • Like 5

On 8/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Personally o kind of like the different seasons. It’s kind of like having multiple opening days. Something to look forward to. I don’t consider myself a bow hunter or gun hunter to muzzle loader hunter or crossbow hunter. More just a hunter

And it kind of livens up these hunting forums too......LOL.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 2:53 PM, Doc said:

And it kind of livens up these hunting forums too......LOL.

Interesting how someone who is so anti crossbow spends so much time in the crossbow section of this forum. I thinks we may have a closet case here ladies and gentlemen. Come on out ole fella, it's all cool. No need to hide your shame anymore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Interesting how someone who is so anti crossbow spends so much time in the crossbow section of this forum. I thinks we may have a closet case here ladies and gentlemen. Come on out ole fella, it's all cool. No need to hide your shame anymore. 

Obviously you have not been around long enough to know Doc. Some of us in the 8-10 year club know one thing for sure.           Doc has no shame. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2021 at 8:59 PM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Who ever said I was anti-crossbow. I don't believe I have ever said anything that anyone could call anti-crossbow. I do have opinions on proper bow seasons and safe-guarding the intent of that season without cramming every weapon that nobody knows what else to do with into that season.

I was unaware that members here were assigned certain forums that they can use and certain ones that we cannot use. Is someone making up new rules now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who ever said I was anti-crossbow. I don't believe I have ever said anything that anyone could call anti-crossbow. I do have opinions on proper bow seasons and safe-guarding the intent of that season without cramming every weapon that nobody knows what else to do with into that season.

I was unaware that members here were assigned certain forums that they can use and certain ones that we cannot use. Is someone making up new rules now?

Well do you crossbow hunt?

I really think full inclusion of CB wouldn't effect the integrity of bow season in any way. Just can't imagine how it would. I don't even get too charged up by early season bow hunting because I just don't care for the warmer weather, but I do know of several older guys who prefer warmer weather and can only hunt with a crossbow who would greatly benefit from a Oct 1 CB opener

They said the same thing when they made the last week of archery muzzleloader in NZ, 25yrs ago 100yds was a long shot with a front stuffer. Now a muzzleloader is a single shot rifle with basically a limitless range. Around here a lot of deer die on opening weekend of muzzleloader!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

They said the same thing when they made the last week of archery muzzleloader in NZ, 25yrs ago 100yds was a long shot with a front stuffer. Now a muzzleloader is a single shot rifle with basically a limitless range. Around here a lot of deer die on opening weekend of muzzleloader!

Agreed New MLs are as deadly as most center fire rifles in the NY woods. It's a shame they put that into the last week of bow season of the NZ. I really don't think xBows would be as intrusive. 

I really don't think xBows would be as intrusive. 

I really don’t think you know enough about Xbows to make a statement like that.

I bought my first Xbow in 2006 because they were legal in NC and it was something new. I wanted the best one they had and it was a screaming 330fps and sounded like a bomb going off and vibrated so bad it was tough to hold onto. It would shoot a 3” group at 30yds on its best day.

15years later there is a bow shooting 500fps and many over 450fps and shooting sub 1”group at 50yds. With zero vibration and really aren’t that loud comparatively.

My max range with my old Horton was 35yds. My max range with my raven is 60. So it’s not crazy to think in another 15yrs it will double or more again…

It’s laughed about now but I’m betting in 15yrs a 100yd crossbow shot will be something no one bats an eye at.

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I bought my first Xbow in 2006 because they were legal in NC and it was something new. I wanted the best one they had and it was a screaming 330fps and sounded like a bomb going off and vibrated so bad it was tough to hold onto. It would shoot a 3” group at 30yds on its best day.

15years later there is a bow shooting 500fps and many over 450fps and shooting sub 1”group at 50yds. With zero vibration and really aren’t that loud comparatively.

My max range with my old Horton was 35yds. My max range with my raven is 60. So it’s not crazy to think in another 15yrs it will double or more again…

It’s laughed about now but I’m betting in 15yrs a 100yd crossbow shot will be something no one bats an eye at.

We are ripping them now with our Scorpyd’s around here. But as with most situations it’s a whole lot different launching them at targets in a cut hayfield and launching them in the woods. Really only 60 with the Raven?

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Maybe I don't know enough about today's xbows. Your talking to a guy who hunts with an Excal Axiom 2010, and Excal Exomag late 1990s. Yes these new Exbows can reach out and are alot quieter/faster than my old Excals but I don't believe they would stir up the woods the same way MLs do during bow season. 

• Like 1

Maybe I don't know enough about today's xbows. Your talking to a guy who hunts with an Excal Axiom 2010, and Excal Exomag late 1990s. Yes these new Exbows can reach out and are alot quieter/faster than my old Excals but I don't believe they would stir up the woods the same way MLs do during bow season. 

I disagree gunshots don’t t bother deer people do.

I love hunting with crossbows but I don’t support full inclusion, I love the way the seasons are now.

On 9/3/2021 at 2:33 PM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Well do you crossbow hunt?

Is that what determines whether or not a person is anti-crossbow? I believe that the crossbow is a perfectly acceptable deer hunting implement........In the proper season. I hate to say it, but that was a rather stupid question given the context of the discussion.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is that what determines whether or not a person is anti-crossbow? I believe that the crossbow is a perfectly acceptable deer hunting implement........In the proper season. I hate to say it, but that was a rather stupid question given the context of the discussion.

I think it was a legitimate question. Because it seems the majority of antis who claim to know everything about the ease of hunting with a crossbow have never even sat in the stand with one or encounter live game with one. And I do understand anti CBers fears of where the technology ends and the truth is it will probably not. Public sentiment will keep it regulated but those regulations will erode over time regardless as the people/majority call for it. When will the technology on vertical bows end. You never hear much about that with the anti crowd. I can hold my vertical bow with 80% letoff longer than I could hold any bow I owned 20 years ago and Im 65 now 

7 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I think it was a legitimate question. Because it seems the majority of antis who claim to know everything about the ease of hunting with a crossbow have never even sat in the stand with one or encounter live game with one. And I do understand anti CBers fears of where the technology ends and the truth is it will probably not. Public sentiment will keep it regulated but those regulations will erode over time regardless as the people/majority call for it. When will the technology on vertical bows end. You never hear much about that with the anti crowd. I can hold my vertical bow with 80% letoff longer than I could hold any bow I owned 20 years ago and Im 65 now 

Well finally something we agree on. The bow season will indeed morph into whatever technology that we can come up with and there really is no limit on that. Nobody will draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. That is why I believe that with these kinds of attitudes, we will see everything imaginable (including firearms) thrown into our so-called bow season eventually. It is getting harder and harder to justify any need for a special "bow season". Yes indeed, the precedent was set with the compound, and the crossbow will set a whole new round of precedents. Each step leads to the next and nobody has will to say, "Enough!"

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well finally something we agree on. The bow season will indeed morph into whatever technology that we can come up with and there really is no limit on that. Nobody will draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. That is why I believe that with these kinds of attitudes, we will see everything imaginable (including firearms) thrown into our so-called bow season eventually. It is getting harder and harder to justify any need for a special "bow season". Yes indeed, the precedent was set with the compound, and the crossbow will set a whole new round of precedents. Each step leads to the next and nobody has will to say, "Enough!"

Yes, and this is something neither you or I will be able to control in the future. These things will be decided by a younger generation just like when the new generation of hunter in 1980s demanded compound bows be brought into archery. But for the interim even if crossbows go full inclusion I don't think we'll be seeing major changes in regs in our time. Air bows, magnetic rail bows will come but we won't be concerning ourselves when it does

On 9/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Yes, and this is something neither you or I will be able to control in the future. These things will be decided by a younger generation just like when the new generation of hunter in 1980s demanded compound bows be brought into archery. But for the interim even if crossbows go full inclusion I don't think we'll be seeing major changes in regs in our time. Air bows, magnetic rail bows will come but we won't be concerning ourselves when it does

No, it was not in the 1980's when compounds were introduced to the NYS bow season. And it was not a generational thing either. I was there when that all happened. I remember when there was a lot of talk about how the compound would become a precedent to start including everything into "Bow season". And you know they were pretty darn far-sighted people who were right on the money. 

There may even come a day when bow usage will be simply merged in with gun season. I guess a lot of that will come after my time.....thankfully. But I hear more and more people questioning why a "bow season" is even necessary anymore. As technology continues to take over bow season implements, their argument gets stronger and stronger.

20 hours ago, Doc said:

No, it was not in the 1980's when compounds were introduced to the NYS bow season. And it was not a generational thing either. I was there when that all happened. I remember when there was a lot of talk about how the compound would become a precedent to start including everything into "Bow season". And you know they were pretty darn far-sighted people who were right on the money. 

There may even come a day when bow usage will be simply merged in with gun season. I guess a lot of that will come after my time.....thankfully. But I hear more and more people questioning why a "bow season" is even necessary anymore. As technology continues to take over bow season implements, their argument gets stronger and stronger.

I started to bow hunt in the 70s and everyone was using recurves at the time, even in the 1980s many hunters still used recurves. Got my first compound bow a Martin wooden riser bow kit sometime mid 1980s, im pretty sure it was 84. It wasn't until that time that compound bows started producing the speed and technology that really seperated them from recurve bows. And in the 90s the compound bow technology revolution took off like a rocket. But the new generation of bow hunters demanded that technology and recurves quickly fell into the abyss. We can re-examine when and how it all happened but like I said previously a new generation of hunters will decide what the future of bow hunting will look like. I could think of hundreds of times where someone could've set limits on the evolution of the compound bow. With the Asian manufacturers now producing quality xbows sales of xbows are booming in NY. I personally will welcome full inclusion.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:27 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Anyone think full inclusion has better possibilities with Gov Hochul taking the helm. Seems like Cuomo back burnered any crossbow legislation his whole time in office

The bill has to get to the Governors desk first and that has never happened.  The bill has to get out of committee to move and as long as one particular legistlator continues to hold it back, crossbows will not move forward.

22 minutes ago, RangerClay said:

The bill has to get to the Governors desk first and that has never happened.  The bill has to get out of committee to move and as long as one particular legistlator continues to hold it back, crossbows will not move forward.

And what is this legislators name???