Hunting Mamas

Grouse

I'm all for increasing the hunting ranks.  I think this trend is great.

Hunting Mamas: The Trend No One Expected to Take Off. Here’s Why It Did

Hunting with young children is a choice rooted in logistics, but it’s also about establishing a lifestyle for a young family—and maintaining an identity as a hunter throughout motherhood.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/hunting-mamas-social-media-trend/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR10FfQ5NlsBTF0P7-5e52ehG06IYHzZ-Pht2qIahfXnSisFb2B4Jwqz08I

• Like 4

I can say that last weekend I had a mother and her  7 year old daughter sitting with me, and her aunt about 100 yards away overlooking another draw. About 8:00, the aunt fired once and scared the crap out of me. Of course, she facetimes, or whatever the hell it is called, her sister and says she has a doe down in sight. I told her to sit tight and I would be up in a few minutes.

I head up to her and help her get it gutted. While she is filling out her tag, Boom!!!!, another shot back down below. The mother calls up and says she has a buck down right by the swamp. So, back down I go to help her out with gutting. Her 7 year old daughter is so excited because she saw the whole thing. Then she got to help spread the legs so her mommy could gut the deer.

So then, me and the daughter head back to her aunt to drag her doe back down to her mother and her buck. When we get to the doe, she says whoa, that is way bigger than mommy's buck. I was honestly surprised she noticed, but she was right for sure. 

I put on my harness and dragged the doe back around the finger of land, back to the other deer and take a break. We sat there and had coffee and cocoa and shared the excitement of success for both women. It was a perfect morning other than the long drag back to the cars.

Both of these women hunted the youth season years ago with me, and have continued hunting. This year they gave me a call to take them where the action was because their spots had gone cold. I gladly planned a Saturday morning hunt, and asked for the daughter to come along. It worked out even better than I hoped.

This was on heavily hunted state land, in a spot that gets avoided because of too much water to access it. During my coonhunting days, I found a small strip of land to get in there. It has been a great spot after the first week for over 20 years.

• Like 13

My wife has her license and has taken a doe with a 30-30 at around 70 yards. She would spend time all summer with me setting stands....checking cameras....so she decided to get her license and complete the full circle. Now that we have young boys she has switched her focus to them and enjoys some piece and quiet when the boys head to the woods with me.....but she plans on getting back in the game next fall for at least a couple hunts.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2