Buying a shotgun in Jersey

I may be taking a trip to the Atlantic City Cabela's/Bass Pro to buy a shotgun that i've been eyeing.  Does anyone know if i am able to walk in and purchase as a NY resident?  Is there anything that needs to be done in advance?  I tried to look for information online, but i'm still a little unclear.

In Maine (Kittery Trading Post and Cabelas) you can buy a firearm without a hassle on the spot, fyi. You might check them out.

As long as you have some form of ID with your FULL name on it. I drove 4.5 hours and went home empty handed because of a middle initial. My pistol permit now has my full name on it.

For the OP, call the store and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

As long as you have some form of ID with your FULL name on it. I drove 4.5 hours and went home empty handed because of a middle initial. My pistol permit now has my full name on it.

For the OP, call the store and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would probably be the best way. I’ll do that. Thanks 

Last time I was in a NJ gun store, I was told I'm not even allowed to handle a firearm in a NJ gun store.

A friend from Long Island went through the process of getting a NJ Firearms ID Card so he could buy a gun in NJ.  That is what I believe the state requires of non-residents.

Personally, I would have the store ship the gun to my FFL in NY and pick it up there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GR HUNTER said:

My memory might be a bit hazy but I don't recall that Bass Pro even having a gun section. Probably due to location but I may be wrong. I was probably there at least 5 years ago. 

they're merged with Cabela's now.

13 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I don't understand, are you not ny state resident? Upstate in all of the stores I visit have guns in stock and they run a check in that moment and give you your gun. This seems like alot of work just to spend your money in dirty ol jersey?

A lot of guns are very hard to find right now. If one is looking for a specific gun, sometimes only 1 or 2 may be found even during an internet search, if you’re lucky. I know myself that 4 of the last 5 purchases that I made, I was only able to find them out of state online. Some guns are readily available, while others can be rarer than hens teeth. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

The Cabelas in Hamburg PA is about equal distance to Atlantic City from Long Island and probably has a better selection of everything since it's one of their biggest stores.  You'll have NO problem purchasing a shotgun in PA as a NYS resident.

Agreed. But only if they have it in stock. I’d still just have it shipped to my FFL though. Especially if you factor in the price of gas, tolls, and time spent.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

A lot of guns are very hard to find right now. If one is looking for a specific gun, sometimes only 1 or 2 may be found even during an internet search, if you’re lucky. I know myself that 4 of the last 5 purchases that I made, I was only able to find them out of state online. Some guns are readily available, while others can be rarer than hens teeth. 

Makes sense.  I'm not a big collector so I don't really pay attention too much. I pick one up every year or 2, or if I start a new adventure. I'm thinking .223 next for varmint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Picked up the gun Friday. Just got home and cleaned and assembled it. Looking forward to shooting it. 
The process was easy. Had the gun shipped to the Auburn Bass Pro. No hassle at all. Good to know that the store is a 45 minute ride from my in-laws in Manlius- will be a great excuse to get out of the house on long visits. 

• Like 1