Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Some years, my venison has come in at under $ 1.00 per pound, after subtracting all input expenses.  I got pretty close to that last season.  This year is going to be tough.  The fertilizer that I used today cost more than double what I paid last year.  Hopefully, the 2 acres of RR corn that I put in today will be enough to hold some deer around till New Year’s Day.  Diesel is really crazy this year.  I am thankful that I still have an old gas tractor.  
83A2C2C3-A1DD-4DF5-8551-780EC1550248.thumb.jpeg.2f675ade2aaebc96294d711f3dafaa53.jpeg
I know that when we raised beef, pork, and chicken, it cost more than if you bought it at the store, and I didn’t like any of that as much as I do the dollar a pound venison. 

I don’t include travel expenses in my venison cost calculations, because I only get it at home, at my parents, or at my in-laws places.  We have to visit them regularly anyhow.  I can’t help it that they have decent hunting.  

I’ve never figured out my $ per pound for my angus or venison, Honestly I don’t care. I enjoy killing deer and I enjoy knowing where my beef comes from. Those values cannot be calculated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve never figured out my $ per pound for my angus or venison, Honestly I don’t care. I enjoy killing deer and I enjoy knowing where my beef comes from. Those values cannot be calculated.

If you really want them angus to taste good, you should finish them on Holstein milk.  That’s what Ike (my favorite President) did and he won lots of beef championships with his herd.  

41 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If you really want them angus to taste good, you should finish them on Holstein milk.  That’s what Ike (my favorite President) did and he won lots of beef championships with his herd.  

Stanch feed them beer and fine finish grains!

Posted (edited)

Struck those same 3 Jakes deep in the hardwood.  They didn't gobble until I was within 100 yards of them.  One of them caught me glassing him and they went deeper down the hill.  I swear they are the only 3 gobblers up here this year.

Edit:. You know it's time for a fresh ThermaCELL blue mat when:. You watch a mosquito land on the one you're using.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 3

Had this visitor by the blind yesterday and on the way to pick up our new pup in Germantown passed quite a few dead doe on the side of the 90. Fawns must be dropping

741cd40ea118af53f275e1ff1b637f39.jpg

• Like 1

I understand everyone’s disposable income is different but the second you start putting $$’s to pounds of meat, hunting will never make financial sense!

There’s maybe 2% of people who can hunt to save money at the grocery store. For everyone else it’s a hobby and passion where the reward is usually something else with the bonus of meat.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Belo said:

Had this visitor by the blind yesterday and on the way to pick up our new pup in Germantown passed quite a few dead doe on the side of the 90. Fawns must be dropping

741cd40ea118af53f275e1ff1b637f39.jpg

Way to mislabel the cam name of "Pines" to throw us off on location. Not a "pine" in sight

Next up algorithm on dates and times like growalot used to do?

And yes i know a few people seeing newborn fawns around

• Haha 3

Retardo Montalban was out in back of my house on the shooting range this morning gobbling up a storm, I put my Howard Leight hearing amplifier muffs on and listened for any distant return gobbles. Other than his harem of Hens yelping on occasion no other Toms were heard.

Al

2022-05-22_110504.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just pulled cards and this is from Friday morning about 11 30.  When I was driving around to the cameras pulling cards he was hammering away must have gobbled a dozen times.  Think I’m going to have to try the nine to noon hunt this week see if I can get him. 

8A57BA2C-2798-42A8-AED9-1A600CFB1515.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

What if I'm the one saying it?

I think I might need to start carrying a bigger knife when I have to go to Ravena for quick stop shopping, and maybe carry a backup.

4 hours ago, Belo said:

There’s maybe 2% of people who can hunt to save money at the grocery store. For everyone else it’s a hobby and passion where the reward is usually something else with the bonus of meat.

I will survive if I don't harvest meat, but I pride myself in feeding my family almost entirely from the outdoors. We buy some dairy, fruits, vegetables and drinks, but grow as much as we can and fill our freezer with game and fish.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I think I might need to start carrying a bigger knife when I have to go to Ravena for quick stop shopping, and maybe carry a backup.

That store is interesting.  Beemers next rust buckets.  Audis next to tri-colors.  It's a good little store to have under 10 minutes away though.

Friday was like a ghost town in the turkey woods, no birds seen or heard. Dedicated Sat and Sun to fishing and now back out in the woods this morning. All quiet in the roost sight so far. Hopefully some gobblers will end up in the area at some point. Good luck to any out there today.

• Like 2

I’m hoping to get out one last time this week before our trip. What’s the thinking on where we are along the breeding timeline? Are folks reporting no gobbling because all the hens are bred and the breeding season is coming to an end? Are Toms henned up towards the end of May? When does the 2nd turkey rut begin?