2015 Shopping List

Five Seasons

It's completely possible to hunt with only the shotgun and knife and be very successful.  The boots are probably the most important one on your list there, don't skimp on them. 

agreed. don't get sucked in by the hype. I myself will admit I'm a gear junky. But most of it is really just to make me more comfortable. Most of it is intended to make me more successful and I don't think any of it really does. Heck you really don't even need the scent free soap if you play the wind, but for $10 it's a good idea too.

Boots...bought new late season boots and didn't have luck with them. They'll "do" but they weren't as good as I had hoped. I had great luck with my Redhead side zip insulated, but apparently the build quality has changed and they get horrible ratings/reviews now. I haven't yet found a boot that fits well and keeps me warm.

Ha that reminds me that I bought some too. A used harmonic stabilizer lite for my Mathews too.

I'd really like some warm weather muck boots but the price is steep.

I picked up some warm weather mucks this past spring and really like them so far. They were on sale at the time. So....I guess you can add that to the list of things I've added this year. I use them for stream fishing, checking trail cams and plan to wear them during early archery season.  I am thinking about another pair of boots, looking at Rocky Broadheads or Danner High ground for those long treks up and down hills on state land.

I bought two ladder stands and I picking up a ground blind this weekend. This will be my girlfriends first season hunting and I feel that the blind will make her more comfortable and not force me to sit with her all the time. I also want to pick up a pack of the G5 monotech brodheads

This weekend is the second time they're offering the sportsman tax free weekend in Mississippi. They started it last year and people love it. This state I live in is far from perfect, but they do at least listen to their citizens. So all labor day weekend long anything to do with hunting, fishing and all guns and ammo is tax free. win.

• Like 5

Bought a new treestand (again). If this one gets stolen, I'm giving up and hunting from the ground.

Wish list- Garmin Alpha 100 tracking collar for my dog. Starts at $800, OUCH!

Not familiar with that product, but this seems on track and is way, way cheaper--provides GPS tracking with a several mile range (larger as more people use it and a net is created):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1226890823/iota-never-lose-sight-of-whats-important

Core,

Boots are very important, depending where and what you hunt you may want or need a couple pairs of boots.

At least should have a pair of insulated water-proof boots for deer gun season in cold damp weather (or wading across a shallow stream). 

If also hunt early season, may want something lighter-weight to not have your feet sweat to death in your boots - perhaps a pair of light-weight hikers. That should be a later add-on to your gear.

I use an Energizer headlight that has the red-light beams on it - they are not expensive.  After having mine for 6-7 years the padding is starting wear off, so I picked one from Amazon when the price dropped recently.  You can also find them at Walmart & Target.

Sometimes you can find some gear at yard sales from others who have stop hunting, or those reducing their abundance of hunting gear.

Being first year hunting, don't go crazy on equipping yourself.  Start simple with some basics.  If you enjoy hunting, put items on Christmas wish list and watch for the after Christmas hunting gear sales.  Sometimes score items for 70% off that way.

• Like 1

I'm partial to this argument of the importance of boots. I have junk ones now and I know that wet and/or damp feet can ruin a mood like nothing else. 

Would fairly cheap waterproof, uninsulated ones with a bunch of nice socks cut it?

I've really been greedy this year on buying stuff for myself and barely got the budget passed on a bow purchase, so need to keep costs constrained ;)

Core

They will not cut it come cold nov. or late season.  Stretch for a decent pair of boots.  I have muck woody elites that I have used for 3 seasons and are still serviceable.  That's less that $50/season.  Work in the swamp and snow.  Money well spent IMO.

• Like 2

Core,

My LL Bean Gortex lined, insulated Maine Hunting boots were around $150-170 that I wore out after 20 years (weekend hunting, snow shoveling, and camping 2-3 times a year).

Nothing beats a good pair of boots that you take care of.

I have been winter camping with people that had the wrong footwear - they were stuck by the campfire until it was time to head home in order to keep their feet from freezing.  Insulated boots are a must when it gets cold.  I have been deer hunting in the southern zone in below 30 degree temps.  That is why I carry a backing stove and small pot (hot soup and a hot drink).

If you can't swing a really good pair now, buy an insulated pair that will at least get you though this season.

If they are not water proof, buy a pair of rubber over-shoes that fit over them.   Tractor supply carries them.

• Like 2

I'm partial to this argument of the importance of boots. I have junk ones now and I know that wet and/or damp feet can ruin a mood like nothing else. 

Would fairly cheap waterproof, uninsulated ones with a bunch of nice socks cut it?

I've really been greedy this year on buying stuff for myself and barely got the budget passed on a bow purchase, so need to keep costs constrained ;)

no. don't skimp on  your boots. You don't need a top of the line muck, but a good solid pair can be had for around $100. Also avoid leather. It stinks/smells and absorbs your scent.

This weekend is the second time they're offering the sportsman tax free weekend in Mississippi. They started it last year and people love it. This state I live in is far from perfect, but they do at least listen to their citizens. So all labor day weekend long anything to do with hunting, fishing and all guns and ammo is tax free. win.

That is really cool.

Just picked up a lighweight camo shirt  at a yard sale for early season squirrel hunting.

Opening day passed and I didn't even realize it, it's so hot out.

Then I realized I didn't have any real warm weather hunting clothes.  So used to hunting in (-) degrees the past few years I didn't even know summers ending!

replaced my rain gear this year. The carhart realtree camo rain  bibs and jacket, they are a real nice combo. There is  a head phone gromett in the jacket  to run the wire to my phone or music player. I do like to listen to some blsck sabbath while i dream away the hours on stand.