bow season opener on oct 1?

TeeBugg

Public comment peroid is over and changes to Whitetail Mgmt Plan go to next step.

Not too sure what that is; enacting, passing, etc.

Yes, part of plan is Oct 1st opener for Archery (deer) in the SZ.

Also a Youth firearms the weekend after Columbus day (SZ).

Both should be in effect for the 2012-2013 season.

http://www.dec.ny.go...ions/81317.html

Edited by nyslowhand

For me in the North Country the regular season starts on the 4th Saturday in October - which is one week later than in the past. Muzzle season starts the 3rd Saturday. All these dates are OK with me. The extra week at the end is new for us up here in the big woods. Good chance for some great snow tracking with my muzzle loader.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much of that additional time I will actually be using for bow season. I am thinking of years past where that period of time is generally still super hot and full of bugs. Also with the weather still great for fishing, camping, and other summer kinds of activities, I most likely will not have finished with all of those things. I guess I will try it out and see how it all fits in with the rest of my life. But I have some doubts. I also wonder how those warmer weeks will be used by others. I don't usually have my head wrapped around hunting when the sweat is trickling down my back and the bugs are banging into my eyes .... lol.

I don't think it really comes down to a question of survival .... lol. I remember one bow season when the temperature flashed up into the 80's. Man, that just didn't seem right. I know guys down south handle that as simply normal, but I don't start feeling it's really hunting season until we have had a few frosts. Just the way it has always been I guess, and what I have become conditioned to expect hunting conditions should be like. Sweat running in my eyes and bugs flying into my ears is not really a good time. In fact, I really don't get into things until the leaves start falling. But then as I said, that is just my perspective.

I would think that the changes ought to be moving right along if they want to make the deadline for the guide to go to publisher. As far as the early opener for bow in southern zone, all for it. Any extra days of hunting that the state wants to offer, is a plus in my book. I'll enjoy every minute of it. Get some more value out of that $98 fee. Just hope they don't raise it next year. That could be the next step.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I would think that the changes ought to be moving right along if they want to make the deadline for the guide to go to publisher. As far as the early opener for bow in southern zone, all for it. Any extra days of hunting that the state wants to offer, is a plus in my book. I'll enjoy every minute of it. Get some more value out of that $98 fee. Just hope they don't raise it next year.

Depending on your age of course, look into the Lifetime License.

For all those guys/gals that do get lucky and kill one earlier than usual in the heat of early October, field care and processing will need a little more attention.

Get that hide off FAST, cool the meat ASAP. You'll need to think ahead of time about the logistics if your used to killing later in October!

Ill be out there if it opens early, but Ill mostly just be doing morning and evening hunts until towards the end of the month, unless we get a cold snap. Great point on the field care Lawdwaz! Having a decent fridge in the garage is a plus, get those deer quartered and in the fridge ASAP when the temps are 40 or above.

I don't think it really comes down to a question of survival .... lol. I remember one bow season when the temperature flashed up into the 80's. Man, that just didn't seem right. I know guys down south handle that as simply normal, but I don't start feeling it's really hunting season until we have had a few frosts. Just the way it has always been I guess, and what I have become conditioned to expect hunting conditions should be like. Sweat running in my eyes and bugs flying into my ears is not really a good time. In fact, I really don't get into things until the leaves start falling. But then as I said, that is just my perspective.

haha lookin forward to what you call "hot" lol... be new to the area this season from Florida.... the state that show's no mercy chasing whitetails early in the season... i killed a buck in august with temps in the upper 90's n 80 to 100percent humidity ... playing the wind is needless to say an art down here and a must being that we never get those cold cold days to help on the hike in... and bugs... i don't know a hunter down here that does not own stock in thermacell, and if you forget it or refills, YOU DONT HUNT... simple as that B) ... really stoked to hunt in NY state, if i can find em in the swamps i can find em anywhere is what i like to say.... be lookin forward to success story's this coming year, goodluck , Joey

shoot 80-100 deg temps in oct would kill deer in NY since they have on their winter coat by then.

Just wait another 10-20 years and the temperatures up here in the North Country will be in competition with Florida! LOL

I hunted VA for several years and also west va. youi just have to skin them right out and put them in a body bag to keep the blow flys off the meat. We would skin them out, wash out with running water, then put on the body bag, transport and cut up ASap. It is hard to think of normal NY hunting if the temp are in the 80's, you just have to ware camo shorts, and a t-shirt.....Oh and using camo masking paint on the legs is ok.....

Oct 1 opener in SZ means a much better chance at catching a buck on a pattern. I'll more than likely use that extra time to take a stab at a few buck beds I have found and try to hunt them in the afternoons only during that time or in the a.m. when a storm or shift causes them to start their nightly routine later than normal the prior night.

I really dislike the timing of the youth hunt, but it is what it is at this point. I'm planning on hammering a buck before that.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I'm definately all for adding time onto the southern zone hunting season. At first I was iniatally bummed about it because I enjoy having two opening days... long island and upstate. But, being that opening day falls on a Monday I can hunt on the island and then head upstate Thursday night. Definatelly looking foward to some extra weekends!!!

Oct 1st start is long overdue. Most other nothern states have had this for years. I don't plan my hunts based on weather as I have commonly seen 40 degree temps in Sept and 80 degree in Nov.

Bucks are more predictable early and anyone that lets bugs bother them is technology challenged.