Jeep Liberty

All I can say is ...our daughters first vehicle was a jeep...AGAINST my wishes...told Mr B....she'd flip it....this was two weeks later ...Just leaving our drive ......with both kids in it ...on the way to school....personally...not so fond of jeeps...

Wow! How the heck did that happen?? Was everyone ok?

Jeeps are great vehicles. Tough and usually run forever. ANY top heavy SUV can and will roll over if you make the wrong move. We had a Cherokee, my fiance flipped it because she got onto the shoulder and over reacted while trying to correct it. Didnt happen just because it was a Jeep.

That being said, I have no personal experience with the Liberty, but havent heard anything negative other than the gas mileage not being so great.

Grow, that looks very serious, hope all turned out ok. Culver, I know the jeep liberty, my parents had a 96 that they retired few years back. Had just shy of 200,000 mile. Motors run for ever if taken care of, in line 6, ( got about 20 mpg) . Ignition switch burned out 3 times, until we put a heavier switch in it- Mopar recall that failed. Sender that reads impulses off the ring gear failed, no spark. Door knobs failed, power window trouble;electric seat failures. Of coarse it had 200,000, stuff don't last forever. Then add you usual stuff, rear drum brakes( design of the rear bad, good luck with the parking brake linkage.) Front brake rotor failure-recall, yours have been replaced with that milege.Exchaust, tires tread wear quickly. My knees were jammed into the dash, with the seat all the way back. Other than that, their pretty good. Never really liked Mopars, until owning GM's

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

flipped it because she got onto the shoulder and over reacted while trying to correct it.

That's what happened with them...our hill is very steep with soft shoulders next to 5ft deep culverts....she left the drive and she hit the shoulder about 100ft from the drive....and it started collapsing sucking the jeep in and she yanked it out fearing ripping out the under carriage...well once the wheels caught the pavement they bolt across the road and she over corrected again......well as you can see that didn't work out...Yes they were fine....I was turkey hunting and after cutting his sister out and getting her up to the drive he got the 4 wheeler and came and got me....said give me your gun and go...she's OK...not knowing what was going on...I fly to the road and there she stood shaking her hands yelling/crying... I'm sorry I'm sorry...Well I got to the crest and looked down to see the wheels still spinning...and just started laughing...I couldn't stop...then gabbed her and said who cares !!!you guys are OK...pure relief...it actually totaled the jeep and we made out on the deal

Your right WNBH...that being said yes top heavy vehicles can flip...and young ppl don't always understand how dangerous a road shoulder can be...I taught her how to drive and she nearly stroked me out a few times...some thing about staying between those lines was beyond her...and still is...scary stuff!!... That's why I don't care for jeeps...now I'll tell you I think any other vehicle and the roof would have collapsed...they were pretty air borne during the flips...at least that's what they perceived...we are very very lucky

What many people don't realize especially young new drivers is that an SUV can roll over a lot easier than a coupe or sedan. The Jeeps are top heavy and the wheel base is narrow which makes it a perfect combination for a rollover. They are even more prone to rollover than a good solid pickup which usually have a wider wheel base and lower center of gravity.

As scary as it may be putting a 2 ton vehicle in the hands of a 16 y.o. what most young drivers need to know is that SUV's DO NOT handle like a sedan or a coupe. I've handled way to many accident cases involving young people and SUVs. Once they understand the idea that you can't take curves at 50 mph with an SUV like you may be able to do with a sedan or coupe, then they should have no problem. My daughter is going to be driving next year when she turns 16 and we plan on giving her our 09 Patriot.

She already knows the difference in handling between our 09 Jeep and my Infiniti G37X sedan which by the way has incredible handling and capable of taking curves at 50+ mph. But when I drive with her in my car and in then my Jeep she notices how differently I drive the Jeep from the G37. She knows the two vehicles don't handle the same and she has mentioned it to me on numerous occasions.

I've had three different Jeeps in the last 20 years and had collisions with two of them. Both took the hit very well and protected us. I would rather have my daughter driving an SUV than a small VW Bug or Mini Cooper type vehicle any day.

I had a jeep liberty for while... rides like a lumber wagon... lots of road noise.... and very narrow wheel base... not a great car

You are right it is noisy and bumpy but the way I see it is that "it's a jeep" not a luxury sedan. My 09 Jeep Patriot serves our purposes well and gets great gas mileage - 27 HWY 22 CITY

• Like 1

That's what happened with them...our hill is very steep with soft shoulders next to 5ft deep culverts....she left the drive and she hit the shoulder about 100ft from the drive....and it started collapsing sucking the jeep in and she yanked it out fearing ripping out the under carriage...well once the wheels caught the pavement they bolt across the road and she over corrected again......well as you can see that didn't work out...Yes they were fine....I was turkey hunting and after cutting his sister out and getting her up to the drive he got the 4 wheeler and came and got me....said give me your gun and go...she's OK...not knowing what was going on...I fly to the road and there she stood shaking her hands yelling/crying... I'm sorry I'm sorry...Well I got to the crest and looked down to see the wheels still spinning...and just started laughing...I couldn't stop...then gabbed her and said who cares !!!you guys are OK...pure relief...it actually totaled the jeep and we made out on the deal

Your right WNBH...that being said yes top heavy vehicles can flip...and young ppl don't always understand how dangerous a road shoulder can be...I taught her how to drive and she nearly stroked me out a few times...some thing about staying between those lines was beyond her...and still is...scary stuff!!... That's why I don't care for jeeps...now I'll tell you I think any other vehicle and the roof would have collapsed...they were pretty air borne during the flips...at least that's what they perceived...we are very very lucky

Glad to hear she was none worse for the wear. One thing about the old Cherokees is they held up pretty well even in an accident. Heres what my fiance's looked like, she was doing 55 when she caught the shoulder, it rolledinto a swamp that was dry at the time...

2011-01-07145952.jpg

2011-01-07150016.jpg

landandtract, a 96 would have been a Cherokee if Im not mistaken.

I had a new 08 Wrangler and would still have it if it had balls.Not enough for my needs.But from 08 on up they have a wider wheel base and are much more stable.They also have stability control.I had no fears with it on or off road.The newer Wranglers have more HP now.As far as MPG,it was around 20 or so highway. They did have a frontal 5star crash rating but chances are you will roll over from a side impact.They also are short wheel base that makes for tricky driving if the rear tires break traction.As far as a good 4x4...the best I ever had.

My wife tried out a Liberty and damn near flipped it (with me and the dealer in it).

Wheel base is short and the steering is fast (rack & pinion?). She actually was all over the road driving it (made me a nervous wreck!).

My cousin flipped her Liberty going to work one morning on snowy roads (said she 'over corrected' after going into a skid at a stop sign). [psssst... she has a heavy foot].

Personally I'd stay away from the Jeep Liberty!

Never a liberty. I have owned mostly dodge. I switched to a Chevy Truck and then had a Blazer. Why I didnt learn my lesson the first time, went back to mopar. I have a friend who will not buy anything but a Jeep. I do alot of driving and every dodge I have owned pushed 300,000 miles all within about 8 years. Sold them and I know atleast one of them is still being driven. Between the 2 chevys I went through 7 yes I said 7 fuel sending units, 2 4 wheel drove rebuilds, 1 year end rebuild,3 transmission rebuilds, 11 front wheel bearings, 4 sets of upper and lower ball joints, 5 half shafts, 2 water pumps, 1 brain box, 1 complete fuse box assembly and a few other things I cant recall off the top of my head. Yes Im hard on vehicles, lots of miles, towing but I service them by the book, differential fluds,tranny and filter services etc all done when due. All the dodges I owned combined I havent spent even a fraction of the cost I put into those 2 Chevys. I will say however the wifey has a Nitro and Im not a fan. I cant drive it for long due to the way the gas peddle is tucked up to the right of the center console, I have to twist my foot in an uncomfortable position. The other thing is when we put a more semi aggressive tire on it for better traction in the winter it rumbles pretty good and that rather annoying. I had the same tires on the Durango I had and it rode quiet. The Durango did have a shifting problem at about 160,000 and after taking it to the dealer and getting an estimate of 2700 bucks I got a tip that it is a common issue with that tranny and if I replaced the solenoid assembly in the transmission It would solve the issue. 127 dollars for the solenoids, fluid and filter. Took me about an hour and worked great till I sold it with 317,000 on it.

Edited by wdswtr

• 3 weeks later...

Well I picked up a vehicle for her last Friday. Got a great deal on it. She got home from Europe yesterday and I surprised her with it. DOes your heart good to see a good kid so happy. I ened up with a Subaru Forester. Love the AWD and is is higher than a car but not as high as a mini SUV. handles good. Only downfall is the milage is a bit low for a 4 cyl but that is expected turing all the wheels. Thanks for the input. I am glad I ddin't do te Liberty