Need bow suggestions...

blackradio

Hello fellas. I was given a 10 year old Bear bow last year. I put all new accessories on it and shot my first doe with it last season. Now, I'd like to buy a new bow for around $400. The Bear is kinda on the slower side (55lbs) and is noisy no matter what i do. So, what brands do you recommend and can anyone link me too a good bow. I would shop at Dick's but they don't really have bows out yet and I want to start shopping and looking around now. Thanks.

Matthews, pretty much anything, you can pick your poison there. I started with MQ1 an old but reliable model, you know what they say about it just like the Jeep "often replicated, never duplicated..." :-)

Are there any Bow Shops near you ? I would look for several shops and check out different brand bows . There are a lot of excellent manufacturers out there Matthews , Elite , Bowtech , Parker , PSE , Martin , just to name a few . A few of the shops have a range and will let you try one out .

If you purchase a bow at Dicks or Gander Mt check it over real good . People pick these bows off the hook and pull them back and sometimes they get dry fired which can cause damage to the bow . Anyway , don't get stuck on a particular brand .

I am selling all of my bows because of age and another back injury.One just happens to be a Matthews MQ1,it is set for 50 lbs.@ 28 " might go a little more then that.Has a drop away rest,string loop,carbon arrows.Not going to give it away.2 Black Widows 1 long bow and 1 recurve both 59 lbs. @ 28". 1 Arcadian woods Tree Stick.also 50 lbs. @ 28"All are Right Handed.

Right now I shoot a Diamond, before that a Hoyt. Both real good bows and depending on the model, not crazy money. What ever you decide on buy it now. This is the time to buy a bow. The stores all have last years models and have them marked way down. These last two, that I bought, were both bought right around this time. I saved almost 50%. You still have to buy the stuff to set it up, rest, quiver, release etc. but at this time alot of that stuff is on sale too.

Good luck....buy now..

The Diamond is awsome

check out the classifieds on archerytalk.... I bought my Hoyt on there in April after someone on this site sent me there... You can basically get whatever u want, new or used from shops all over the US... Its helpful if you take a day and go shoot a bunch of different models to figure out what feels best for you

I'd recommend going to your local bow shop and looking at used bows. A lot of them sell used bows- there are a lot of guys who buy new bows every year or so and sell their old bow back to the shop for credit. You can probably get a good deal on a relatively new bow and get a better bow for your money.

• Like 1

I used to shoot Hoyt and now shoot a Diamond bow and love it. If you have a Bass Pro near you (or even online for this matter) they offer some great bow packages by Diamond. You can get the Diamond razor edge bow package for around $350. That's a great bow that will shoot over 300 fps. It is considered to be a "starter" bow and is only adjustable up to 60 lbs. They also make the Redhead brand bows (kronik and toxic) which are technically a diamond bow with their logo. Check it out, may be worth your while.

I agree... don't think you have to spend a ton of cash to get a real good bow. You can get a very good, accurate ,reliable quiet bow for a good price. Don't think you have to spend a ton.

Do your home work. ..... Good luck

Heres my experience. I, like you, started out with an old bow, but it did its job and got me my first deer. I then went to Gander Mountain and bought a brand new, middle of the road PSE for @ $400 and decked it out. I shot and hunted with it for a few years and I was never really satisfied with it. It was wicked quiet, but just never felt right to me, and I was not consistent with it at all. I did everything from changing to a better string, to different sight, etc etc in an effort to get it right. I finally gave up on it. I went to the local shops and shot every bow I could until I found the one that felt the best to me. In my case, it was a Hoyt Maxxis. Brand new, they were way out of my price range, so I went on to Archerytalk.com and stalked the classifieds until a 1 year old used one popped up for the price I wanted ($450ish) and I made an offer on it, which the guy accepted. I set it up and started shooting. That bow is the best feeling and shooting bow I have ever had. I will never settle for a low end bow again, or pay top dollar for a new one. Ill just figure out what I want and buy it used. Plenty of people out there with too much money that shoot them a few times and get rid of them.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I hear ya,, but I think you can still get a real good bow (that feels right to you) in the $400 range, if you look around. At this time of year you can find a higher end bow marked way down. This time of the year you can get a brand new one for a real good price. Don't buy one just because of the discounted price. If it doesn't fit you keep looking. The thing is ..at this time of year they are all marked down.

while I shoot a $950 Bowtech, a good bow can be had for half the price.

Martin is one brand that offers quality for the buck. You might want to check them out as they have top of the line models for hundreds less than the other top 4 manufacturers.

before making any NEW purchase, goto ArcheryTalk and check out the used bows, i went thru this last year i bought a NEW PSE brute for $400+ returned it after 2 shots, horrible it was heavy, hand shock on the shot, rough draw cycle... i would rate it OK as an entry level bow, went to Archery talk and got an Hoyt AlphaMax 32 1 year old for $400, and it's the nicest bow i ever shot and i've been bowhunting for 20 years

try to shoot whatever bows you can get your hands on and then goto archerytalk.com / forums/ classifieds and look for bows that are 2-3 years old, what was $800 2 years ago is $450 today, looks at Hoyt, Elite, Strothers you will not be dissapointed if you want check out Mathews too just stay away from the Reezen, worst bow Mathews has produced.

want my honest opinion look for a 2009-2010 hoyt alphamax AM32 if you like a hort bow AM35 if you like a little larger bow, aim for $400 or under for a bare bow and YOU WILL BE HAPPY i promise i have shot many many bows and the Hoyts rock as do Elite, Bowtech, Strothers

Be careful with the Alphamax, its a speed bow with a shorter brace, and is less forgiving, meaning your form needs to be very good and very consistant. The Maxxis and newer CRX models are longer brace, darn near as fast and more forgiving. For someone with not a ton of archery experience, its a big plus. Ive been shooting for 8 or 9 years now and still dont like a short brace height.

the Alphamax , Maxxis and CR32 are all 7" on brace height as are most bows that are 320fps + except the waffle iron Mathews bows under 7" brace height are unforgiving ( PSE OMEN, ELITE jUDGE ect...) most archers can adapt to 7" without issue, don't be discouraged besides your gonna practice.... :)

Have you concidered a Bear Encounter? The complete package is $399 and all you have to buy is arrows and some Simms Limbsavers. My buddy bought a Bear Charge which is the cousin to this bow and it was a really nice bow for the money.

Another thought. You are not far from East Harford Conn. Try going to their Cabelas store. They will have a bigger selection and will let you shoot all of the bows they have. Not sure but you might even get a better tax rate?

the Alphamax , Maxxis and CR32 are all 7" on brace height as are most bows that are 320fps + except the waffle iron Mathews bows under 7" brace height are unforgiving ( PSE OMEN, ELITE jUDGE ect...) most archers can adapt to 7" without issue, don't be discouraged besides your gonna practice.... :)

Hmmm, i was thinking of another one then. They made one with a 6.5 brace.

Btw, you will never get IBO speed out of a bow in hunting config. I get 293 out of my Maxxis thats advertised as 315

I have a PSE Stinger II that I have used for 3 seasons. Great bow, fast @ 304 and very affordable. Cabellas sells the complete ready to shoot package for 299.xx. Also you will find them at Gander Mtn. All you need to buy is ARROWS, POINTS, RELEASE, CASE

It is a very quiet bow. My son shoots a Mathews and he could not believe how quiet mine is compared to his. OK, the Mathews is faster, but speed is not everything. Quietness is king! Check out all the bows in the price range you want to spend. Then practice and practice and practice.