2012 Deer Hunting Season Dates

burmjohn

the hold up is they tried to pass everything together. Now there is alot more paperwork and adendems that have to be done. Last i heard nothing was gonna go through until next year but I am not sure. I thought it had to be done by last friday for it to go through this year. It is getting late.

grow why?

I just thought with all they went through with polls and what not they'd get it in one way or another....personally I don't think they need it.....all of us and our kids managed to be taught to hunt and they got deer and didn't have a "special" day or week end to do it....Whats up with parents grand parents not being able to teach kids to hunt and enjoy shooting sports in general .....with out "having " to tag something to stay interested

It's like sports....EVERYONE'S a WINNER... Auughh BS...no not everyone can win every time and there HAS to be looser....sometimes the game wins and the hunter looses...and vise versa ....Now let me contradict my self in saying as hunters or sportsmen in any arena we can all be winners by learning that the winning isn't in the Victory but in the enjoyment of the journey...kids will stay hunters if you just teach them what it's really about

I agree with you growsalot. I thought it was ridiculous to have a special weekend wether it was in oct or in nov before the reg season. Bring your kids on opening day no need for a special weekend.

I hear ya but too many hunters in the woods on opening day, just not for me and my girls.

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

Yea it is a little dangerous on opening day but it is very dangerous for other people such as kids playing in the woods, hikers, people scouting, small game hunters, etc etc etc. People for the most part know to stay out of the woods during late november now you want them to stay out of the woods in october too. Enough is enough with for the kids. Whats next? I love my kids as much as the next person but in this case they will be brought up just as I was and I did not need a special weekend to get my ass in the woods................................................

How so? Even if the dates John posted are correct a bow is still a legal implement to use during the whole season. So if any one cries about it they been crying about it for years.

if early bow ends on a friday, and ml starts the next day, as posted, they can not use a bow during a special season for ml when the special season for archery has ended. My point was that both ran the same week.

Yea it is a little dangerous on opening day but it is very dangerous for other people such as kids playing in the woods, hikers, people scouting, small game hunters, etc etc etc. People for the most part know to stay out of the woods during late november now you want them to stay out of the woods in october too. Enough is enough with for the kids. Whats next? I love my kids as much as the next person but in this case they will be brought up just as I was and I did not need a special weekend to get my ass in the woods................................................

ooohhh here we go again with all the danger concerns and fear about every horrible thing a youth hunt will do to NY, come ole chap tell the truth, you dont want some kid killin your buck before you do.

I wonder how many people have been killed, maimed or scared to death by all the youth and senior hunters in the woods pounding deer during the early antlerless hunts? 3 days for the kids and 6 (IIRC) for the old geezers..............

Mercy me oh my.

Edited by Lawdwaz

if early bow ends on a friday, and ml starts the next day, as posted, they can not use a bow during a special season for ml when the special season for archery has ended. My point was that both ran the same week.

Im confused. A bow is a legal implement to use in any season.

Oh boy Bubba I stand corrected. Am I the only one who thought this? Here is a section of DEC website.

Muzzleloading

Deer - may only be taken as shown on the Muzzleloading Deer Map

Bear - may only be taken as shown on the Bear Hunting Map.

All hunters participating in the muzzleloading season must follow these requirements in addition to the other regulations in this guide.

• Each resident hunter must have purchased a current year Muzzleloading privilege with his/her big game license.
  • Each nonresident hunter must have a current year Muzzleloading License.
  • The legal firearm for this season is a muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season. If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License.
  • Hunters shall not have in their possession, or be accompanied by a person who has in his or her possession, a bow or firearm other than the legal muzzleloading firearm.
  • You may use fiber-optic sights or scopes on a muzzleloading firearm at any time.

Edited by wdswtr

ooohhh here we go again with all the danger concerns and fear about every horrible thing a youth hunt will do to NY, come ole chap tell the truth, you dont want some kid killin your buck before you do.

And I don't blame him. On another note, many...actually all of my friends survived the dreaded opener day as youngsters what makes it such a big deal now?

I think the Youth Hunt would be more of the "dumbing down of America" ...... a kid needs an edge because he might not get a deer when Daddy hunts . Kids can not get 70's on their tests so they lower the passing score . Kids cry when they lose a game so they make them all winners and even the worst teams get trophies .

Why can't a dad or mentor take their kid out opening day of deer season to hunt ? Learning the hard way makes for learning REALITY . Could it be that Daddy wouldn't want to give up a shot on a trophy deer if it came by ?

• Like 1

I think the Youth Hunt would be more of the "dumbing down of America" ...... a kid needs an edge because he might not get a deer when Daddy hunts . Kids can not get 70's on their tests so they lower the passing score . Kids cry when they lose a game so they make them all winners and even the worst teams get trophies .

Why can't a dad or mentor take their kid out opening day of deer season to hunt ? Learning the hard way makes for learning REALITY . Could it be that Daddy wouldn't want to give up a shot on a trophy deer if it came by ?

So the Youth Waterfowl hunts and Youth Turkey hunts are a bad idea or just Youth Deer hunts?

• Like 1

I think the beauty of a youth hunt would be that dad (or mom) is 100% dedicated to the kid for the hunt. And not distracted by them missing a day, passing on a deer, regular opening day camp plans with other, or whatever the case may be. If it means that it will get more kids in the woods I'm all for it.

• Like 2

What I am implying is ...... kids don't learn to fail if they don't grow up in the real world . I take that little Billie Bob or Sally Mae isn't capable of shooting waterfowl , turkey or deer during the regular season so let's do something special . Maybe Daddy doesn't want them in the way when it's his turn to hunt !

Heck , why not take the kid to a fenced in deer farm or a hunting preserve and let them blast away ! B)

I understand the failing point but this isn't baseball or football etc. A youth hunt doesn't guarantee them a deer. It allows their parent or such to focus on their kids hunt and not there own. I would sacrifice my whole hunting season for my kids hunt.

As I said I don't personally think separate youth days of any kind really help the kids.....

Why is it that a kid today can't have the knowledge that Dad..Mom ....Gramps or Uncle Joe are willing to pass on a great deer so that they could have a chance at it...or the knowledge that when they were old enough to hunt taking a day off from school for opening day was a very special tradition....Everyones camps are different.... but we made room for our kids to be at camp with all the hunters...and they were there enjoying the experience with them

It sounds IMO that what some are saying is the youth days are so the Adult doesn't have to be inconvenienced during "Their" season...

Our son saying Gramps saw the doe first but let me take the shot...Or our daughter saying ...I think the guys at camp were more excited about my buck than even me...you should have seen their faces....Opening day traditions first time hunt and being with the adults....My kids knew that they were apart of our family hunting traditions from day one...

I knowing my own kids...they would not have looked back at their first hunt as fondly...had it been ...come on hun we have a couple of days to get your first deer..you gotta make it count before the others get out here..yep deer or not just not the same