Looking for a .308 any advice

Both rounds are nearly identical. the 06 give you a little extra power but also a little extra kick. Unless you're planning on taking the rifle out west, the both rounds will do the same thing here in the east coast.

As far as rifles go, I prefer the Remington 700. Savage also makes a bunch of great rifles...particularly if you're on a budget. I hear the Thompson/Center Venture is a great gun but they did have a recall a while ago. They should have the problem fixed by now.

Last year I purchased a .308 Savage model 10 bolt action and was lucky enough to use it twice during rifle season. I shot a 6pt and a doe at roughly 40 yards and the blood trails were incredible. Both deer dropped after running 20 yards. I couldn't be happier!!!

With bullets from 150 to 180 grains, you'd be hard pressed to see any difference in performance on game.

The .308, being a short action, would be slightly shorter and handier assuming equal barrel lengths. Muzzle blast and recoil are comparable.. You might notice the 06 kicking a little more, especially with heavier bullets.

I've never laid hands on the Rem 770, but I have shot several Rem 700s and they were all dependable and accurate.

Savage, Marlin, TC and Mossberg all make affordable bolt actions, and I have heard good things about all of them. You might spend a little time in the gun shop and handle different models to see which one fits you or appeals to you more than the others..

Both rounds are great and are about the same in performance until you get past 200yrds. then the 06 has a very slight edge (factory ammo anyway). I checked out a few 770's a while back and the actions on them all seemed a little stiff and gritty. Check one out. If it's smooth and fits you good go for it. I'm sure it will be a good reliable gun.

The Savage stuff is real good too.

I would avoid the 770 by all means. I have friends that bought them because they were economical, and they are. But there is a reason for that. You definitely lose some quality. It's like buying a John Deere from Lowes, says John Deere but isn't built like a "John Deere". I have 5 Savage rifles and love all of them. Also own some Winchester and Remingtons and love them too. But for the price, you can't beat the Savage.

Since you have a Ruger 10 -22 have you considered there M77 Standard in 308 caliber with there wood stock.I have had just about every brand out there threw the years and the better grades a the Remy. 700 BDL and the early Win.Model 70's also a few custom made ones.Ruger has been around a very long time and for the price you can't go wrong.I bought one of there M77 22 Magnums and was amazed at 100 yards I am putting 5 shots inside of a dime size circle.I would stay away prom plastic stocks they might be lighter the wood but the are noiser in the woods.As far as I am conserened the only good plastic stock is the H&S Precision stock.

Savage has had a reputation for making very accurate barrels for years.. I'm talking close to 50 years..

The problem was, until a few years ago, the triggers SUCKED as did the Marlins..

Now they have come up with the "accutrigger" which is a very good trigger system..

That makes the current Savage rifles a very good value.. Good, accurate rifles for the $$$.. Same goes for the Marlins..

buy a tikka t3 lite in 308. they shoot real good and you can have the trigger adjusted without buying a after market . and the action is one of the smoothest on the market

I'm also a big fan of the Tikka. Although I can't really warm up to the detachable magazine, the rest of the gun is terrific. Accurate? wow. Nice, smooth action? wow. Incredible trigger? wow. Nice enough stock? wow. GREAT barrel? wow. Hell-of-a value.

I can dig the Tikka.

Last year I purchased a .308 Savage model 10 bolt action and was lucky enough to use it twice during rifle season. I shot a 6pt and a doe at roughly 40 yards and the blood trails were incredible. Both deer dropped after running 20 yards. I couldn't be happier!!!

i agree, have a savage M-111 30-06 and the thing is a tack driver!!!! set the scope once and with careful handling its been spot on ever since out to 200 yds....

Savage has had a reputation for making very accurate barrels for years.. I'm talking close to 50 years..

The problem was, until a few years ago, the triggers SUCKED as did the Marlins..

Now they have come up with the "accutrigger" which is a very good trigger system..

That makes the current Savage rifles a very good value.. Good, accurate rifles for the $$$.. Same goes for the Marlins..

i agree. i have the M-111 30-06 with stock trigger on it, but they do offer the accutrigger job on it for x amount a dollars more, worth it, but if you have any amount of compitant shooting skills the regular trigger will do!!!! shoot same wholes at a 100 regularly with the stock trigger...

.308 is a great all around caliber.

Can't go wrong with Remington rifles. I have 2 -770s, while they've gotten bad press, mine are both nail drivers. No, they aren't as stylish or smooth as the 700 BDLs or CDLs, but are 1/2 the price, and shoot just as well.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I also have and love my Savage in 30-06. You'll be happy with either caliber but unless your planning on filling your gun cabinet with a bunch of rifles, (which we all love to do) the 30-06 may be a better choice for a first gun that does alot of things. With all the different grain bullets available to the 06' , you can hunt moose during the day and varmits at night, and everything in between, all with the same gun. Not the most glamourous round, but you can add some things to your arsenal down the road if you want.

Before I say good choice, how did you arrive at 308 and 30-06 which aren't all that different. If you said 308 or 270 or 7mm-08 I could see asking. Both calibers your are considering have ammo readily available, come in a variety of guns and actions, different bullet weights,good power, as said these are good choices but its like asking for a piece of pie or a hunk of pie, almost the same. Your choice should take in factors like where you hunt, close shots in think cover or long shots in mature hardwoods or fields. Do you hunt from a stand or stalk. There are a lot of other calibers available with different ballistics that may suit your brand of hunting better. But you certainly can't make a mistake by buying either one. With those the choice of gun is the decision, either cartridge will do the job all on its own.

Thanks for all the advise,I was at Dicks and seen a mossberg mavrik 06 for 350 just never heard anything about it,im looking to spend at the most 500 right now due to wedding coming up.

Wedding registry at Dick's? Not a bad idea......................

• Like 1