new bow hunter

noahmstone

Ok so I am thinking about signing up for a bow hunting safety course in a few weeks. I am 27 and finally giving in to the jealousy of all you other guys that are in the woods a couple weeks earlier than me. I figure if I take the safety course this september I will hopefully be ready to start bow hunting by next september. I have very little experience with archery. I had a cheap compound bow as a kid that I could hit a pizza box with at 10-15 yard and shot long bows at 4 ft targets at about 10 yard in middle school. other than practice practice practice anybody have any tips for me to prepare for next season?

Practice.Drill it into your head that you can only take broadside double lung shots at 20 yds or less (at least for 1st year on the yardage) bows are NOT guns. Do not begin to track a poorly shot deer for at least 6hrs .Practice in awkward positions. If you are going to shoot sitting down practice sitting down.Do not over-bow yourself.( draw length or poundage).Climb a tree. I have shot a lot of deer with my bow off the ground but it seems like it is 10x as difficult. Make sure your bow is sighted in with your broadheads (an out of tune bow will not hit the same point).Practice ...Lol

These are all things that I should have done more of when I 1st started bow hunting.

Have fun , and welcome to the best part of hunting !

go to a local bow shop and get fitted for a bow outfit. If they have a indoor range plan on shooting it over the winter. Next year with snow out, find a local archery club to join. Start by practice close under 20 yards, then as you gain skill shoot longer yardage. ALso focus on form, and do not shoot over 20 arrows at a time to get over tired and start to get bad habits. MOst deer taken on 25 yards and under. so it great to hit a target at 60 yards, but most of our shots in NY are under 30 yards. Also go to the 3D shoots and you will enjoy shooting with the buddy you will make as well as showing off the skills you have learned...

Some good advice in here already! My advice, get properly fitted by a pro shop, not a big box store, shoot alot of different bows until you find one that feels right. After you get your bow, practice practice practice. Get in a treestand and practice different distances, angles, etc. Get very familiar with deer anatomy and what different angles do with good shot placement. Deer & Deer Hunting has a cool shot placement program that you can get for a PC, MAC, iPad or smart phone that allows you to remove layers of the deer and rotate the 3D model around to see what different shots will do. Like was already said, bows are not guns and dont kill the same way, you have to have the right placement. Above all things, have fun!

So the guys have covered the basics and I'll add this....I see a family in your avitar....I know many gun hunters that for God only knows...think it's OK to go up a tree with a gun and no harness...If you happen to be...not saying you are...but if...learn to use your harness...because as foolish as it is to go up high during gun without a safety harness ...it is roulette to do so with a bow ...ppl love and need you play it safe...Other than that..practice from a tree if you hunt from the trees...You'll never understand why you didn't do it sooner once you start shooting bow...have fun and Good Luck

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies. I had planned on practicing from different angles and positions and from my climber. If I don't feel I am ready by next fall i will put it off for another year. I have studied deer anatomy in the past and am very selective with my shots with a gun and let deer walk if i am not comfortable with the shot i will do the same with a bow.

I remember being told in the past by my uncle that he waits 4 hours before he starts tracking but i learned with my first deer to wait before you start tracking or you will just keep pushing it further and further away so 6 hours is fine with me, that same deer taught me to study deer anatomy more in depth also. ;)

As for getting fitted by a pro shop the big box stores are over an hour away and i have a pro shop 2 miles from my house. my fish and game club offers 3d shoot 1 thursday evening every month all summer long but I work thursday evenings so that will be kind of hard to make it to.

Growalot I got it covered. my old harness was getting up there in age and I didn't like the one that came with my climber so I just invested in a HSS ultralite last week. I want to enjoy being in the woods for years to come not be paralyzed or dead.

keep the suggestions coming.

Is there a reason why you are saying you cannot hunt this fall?

Now, I don't want to get blasted for this on here, but I've seen some people take up the sport with relative ease and be proficient within a solid month to the point they could hunt with a bow in a short distance (say 20 and in). Now, that's not to say they went willy nilly...but most were adults in their mid-late 20s and had some hunting experience. Obviously they practiced, learned, etc. in that time and each person is different.

In today's age, I think it would be reasonable for the "right minded and able" person to be ready to hunt within 6-7 weeks (as is the case now for SZ). Now, that's certainly not the majority and in fact is a small minority of most people in this situation...but it is possible.

Now, I don't want to get blasted for this on here, but I've seen some people take up the sport with relative ease and be proficient within a solid month to the point they could hunt with a bow in a short distance (say 20 and in). Now, that's not to say they went willy nilly...but most were adults in their mid-late 20s and had some hunting experience. Obviously they practiced, learned, etc. in that time and each person is different.

In today's age, I think it would be reasonable for the "right minded and able" person to be ready to hunt within 6-7 weeks (as is the case now for SZ). Now, that's certainly not the majority and in fact is a small minority of most people in this situation...but it is possible.

I would agree for the most part...3d comp are great practice too. Another thing I forgot to add.... I now like to practice at 50 yds most of the time . after getting proficient at this it has greatly increased my confidence at hunting ranges. A 20 yd shot seems like a chip shot now..

• Like 1

I agree with Phade too, my wife took it up late August a few years back and made a perfect heart/lung shot on one that fall at 20 yards with me over her shoulder coaching. Only you will know your limits.

I will add you don't have to break the bank on your first bow. You might find out that you don't like the sport. They are plenty of quaity bows out there for under $600. Focus on good arrows and a release you comfortable with. A good bow shop can help you with the arrows and should let you try different releases. Another thing that I find invaluable is a good range finder with build in ARC. It's very easy to miss calculate distanse whether on the ground of in a tree.

All good advice above. A couple things on top of that.

Practice at low light conditions as well. This way you will see if your selected types of sighting, be it peep and pins or whatever..... can muster up to first or last legal light when deer activity is higher. Also be very aware of your sleeves and front of coat or whatever you will wear. Practice in hunting gear to make sure your clothing can not impede your bowstring path.

When you get your arrows get a dozen and shoot them all. Any continual flyers I set aside. Pick 4 or 5 of the nice consistent ones to set aside for hunting then use the others good flyers as your practice arrows.

Pick a good broadhead, and there are a ton of good ones, but key thing is make sure they are sharp and keep them that way. Very sharp arrows make better blood trails.

And the last one is your range is now been severely shortened and you need the deer to get a lot closer to you. Better scent control, wind play and absolute minimizing your movement are critical in this. With the range of a gun you can slide on some errors with bow a lot less.

Have fun! The guys and gals here are a great resource. I am a self taught bowhunter and I think I made every mistake in the book!! But there is no comparison bow season is the best. I see so many more deer and the close encounters....better weather also is nice.

They said it all... Get a bow fitted to you and practice. Don't think you have to spend a ton of money to get a good accurate bow either. A good archery shop should be able to hook you up.

You can always post here for opinions before you buy. Good luck.

The biggest reason I am planning on holding off until next year is that I have not shot a bow in 14-15 years and have never shot seriously. I really don't know how prepared I would be this year and unless i pick up a bow and it feels like second nature to me I wouldn't feel comfortable using it to hunt with. I feel any animal I hunt deserves enough respect from me that I should at least be able to shoot consistently/ accurately.

And yes doewhacker I am a lefty but I would not be able to accept a Bow for nothing.

• Like 1

My buddy picked up a bow 2 weeks ago and I think he will be ready for this season. Some people have a good form to shoot while others take more time to get good. A bow is a weapon of skill IMO. Some can be good with a few lessons and practice while others take months to be ready. In so far as a year to get ready, that is more than enough time to get good with form and fix any issues. I have my buddy hitting the target well out to 50 yards, he actually shoots better at long distance...

20-30 yards is not that hard to get good at in a short time IF you practice and have good physical ability... Remember the bow you use now is probably two to three times faster than what you used as a kid and makes shooting further easy. (10- 30 yards has a very slight drop) Your old bow might not be as easy to shoot as the new bows. I sudgest getting a bow now, use it, if you can hit a small CD or a little larger than a half dollar out to 30 yards go for it this year... If you are not comfortable with a shot dont take it. Just because you can not shoot out past 30 yards is no reason not to hunt, IMO... Get out and have fun, who knows what next year might bring!!! If you could see how bad some of the guys shoot with thier traditional bows at 10-30 yards you would have no problem using a compound at that distance if you get good with it...

Granted with use you get better and fix form issues but how many people do not shoot all year and then a week or two before bow they shoot 10 arrows and say they are good to go. I am not saying you have to be a expert but just because you are not is no reason not to hunt. Most deer are taken within 30 yards with a bow and I see no reason why you can not be good enough to do that in a month IF you practice. And if you are not ready you can always wait till next year...

Use at most 3 pins when starting, I recommend one for 20 and one for 30 to start. 10 is just not needed as it is only about a inch lower than the 20 depending on speed...

You do not have to be a expert to shoot good, just consistant!!! Go for it you live only once!!!

Again if you feel you are not ready you can always wait untile next year...

Make sure the bow is set up for you, like many have said it is very importiant!!!

• Like 1

I too, after many, many yesrs of gun took up archery last year at the prompting of my son who was interested. I started practicing every day from end of sept and was VERY FORTUNATE and LUCKY to have shot a very nice 6 pointer my first ever time in the bow stand, Nov 5th. So if you have the time to shoot 10-15 arrows every day from it is conceivable you could be ready, but it's a matter of personal preferance and comfort with the bow and your ability.

I agree with most all of the comments here, and am also happy to see someone offered you a bow for free, which is what my friend did for me. I just put a deposit on a new Mission Riot and am stoked for the upcoming season. I make my final deposit on it next week.

I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy it. I am addicted, but not just because I shot a deer, because to me it's not about shooting anything, to me it's quality time with good friends and family in the field and after the hunt sharing a meal some great conversation and making memories.

• Like 1