send letters for crossbows in NY

The compounds have evolved far greater than anyone ever thought they would I believe....the first ones were rudimentary at best, with about a 25% letoff.  They were allowed as there was no advantage other than let-off.  But, they morphed into beasts.

Polls won't matter, money talks.  This bill that the Gov will sign for allowing crossbows during the regular season in 2011 is not a victory for the crossbow manufacturers, nobody is going to put down their rifles and shotguns and go buy a crossbow.  But put that crossbow during the archery season, and watch the sales take off.  That's what they want, that's what they'll eventually get with their deep pockets.

The compounds have evolved far greater than anyone ever thought they would I believe....the first ones were rudimentary at best, with about a 25% letoff.  They were allowed as there was no advantage other than let-off.  But, they morphed into beasts.

The arguments back then were not so much about what the compound was as it was about the precedent being set that would eventually be used to eventually allow inappropriate weapons into bow seasons. I thought those guys were making far too much out of it. Who would have guessed how right they were and how wrong I was. Today the compound is being used as the precedent for jamming crossbows into bow seasons. It kind of makes you wonder just what the crossbow will be used as a precedent for in the near future doesn't it?

I still have yet to hear a good argument of why crossbows are "inappropriate" for use in an archery season.

This thread is loaded with 20 pages of reasons. Bottom line, its a weapon more similar to a gun than anything else. i.e. scope, stock, trigger, locked and loaded, point and shoot......therefore it does not belong in the archery season.

I still have yet to hear a good argument of why crossbows are "inappropriate" for use in an archery season.

This thread is loaded with 20 pages of reasons. Bottom line, its a weapon more similar to a gun than anything else. i.e. scope, stock, trigger, locked and loaded, point and shoot......therefore it does not belong in the archery season.

And so on and so forth. I agree. I would hate to have us all repeat those volumes of discussion again. I believe all those reasons were already on their 12th repeat the last time around. Nothing has changed in between.

It shoots arrows tipped by a broadhead at a short range, powered by a string, not powder and has no barrel. Its archery equipment, classified as such by FITA and most other international and national sanctioning bodies. It belongs with the rest of the archery equipment.

LMAO want the canned reply: There're not traditional!  ;)

Lets see  crossbow was invented before the firearm.

OK so it post dates the slingshot and spear; which pre-dates the compound bow.

Hey Chevy----just for my own curiosity. What do you believe is the difference between a bolt and an arrow?

I don't have time to teach you things you probably already know. It's called a bolt, I didn't make it up.

Crossguns shoot bolts.

LMAO want the canned reply: There're not traditional!  ;)

Lets see  crossbow was invented before the firearm.

OK so it post dates the slingshot and spear; which pre-dates the compound bow.

HAHAHA  ;D

Yeah I was waiting for Chevy to answer  and was gonna sit this out again until I saw him post. There is no difference in the actual arrow construction. The nock is different as WNY said but the shaft construction is no different. It use to be the heavier wall of the alluminum arrows were for crossbows but the compounds have gotten so powerful that the shaft construction is virtually interchangable now. A lot of bolts are 2216 or 2219 and those are very common arrow shafts. I shot those b4 I moved to carbons. SO basically a knock design and 6-7 inches in length.

Yeah I was waiting for Chevy to answer  and was gonna sit this out again until I saw him post. There is no difference in the actual arrow construction. The nock is different as WNY said but the shaft construction is no different. It use to be the heavier wall of the alluminum arrows were for crossbows but the compounds have gotten so powerful that the shaft construction is virtually interchangable now. A lot of bolts are 2216 or 2219 and those are very common arrow shafts. I shot those b4 I moved to carbons. SO basically a knock design and 6-7 inches in length.

Right so they are the same but different..haha If something is different it can't be the same silly. Any way you guys are running out of things to argue over finally, thats nice to see. :D

So heres what its boiling down to, the only differences between a crossbow and a compound or vertical bow is that you can use a rest,  it has a stock and you pre-cock it. It shoots at the same range, same projectile, with the same type of power at a completely comparable KE range. The only real advantage to a crossbow is that its pre-cocked, but you have no real chance at a quick second shot, whereas with a vertical bow, a second shot is not that difficult. Hmmmmmm....

Im still waiting for that good argument against them.  :D

Work on your reading comprehension  Doe...the shafts are the same...the feild tips and broad heads are the same the fletchings are the same. the knock is the only difference. There are more similarities between the compund rated arrows and the crossbow bolt than between a cedar shaft arrow and a compound rated bow. It IS a peice of archery equipment. That debate should not even be happening. whether it is included in the season is another story.

Like I have said before ...I could care less which way it goes. I just hate seeing others imposing their desires on others. the only argumnents that I have heard here that vaguely sounds plausable are a big increase in hunter numbers in the woods that would degrade the bowhunting experience. I have looked at states that have allowed it and can't find any evidence to support that and no one else has provided it either. I would love to see EVIDENCE ...not opinion.

It is an emotional debate and there will never be a solution that satisfies everyone.

How about taking all licensed big game hunters this year...send them a ballot and let the masses decide?