Heres another going to....

growalot

The stand/blind question....What sends shivers down your back and hair standing on end when you are walking in or out in the dark?

Raccoons fighting...bobcat screaming and yotes calling back and forth with you in the middle....raccoon fights are the worst though...couple of times I nearly turned around and went home...

Edited by growalot

I got spooked when I had a set of "eyes" following me. No cats in the area, so I wasn't sure what it was. I turned around a couple times in prob 30 yards or better I saw 2 green eyes. It happened a couple of times till I figured out it was an owl. I threw a stick and it flew off. Thinking about it now I still shiver.

But, I am targeting a bear this fall that is pretty active at eating whatever is around. I'm a little nervous about walking in to climb a tree, even though I know they are supposed to be scared of man.

Grouse always get my heart going when you step on them in the dark. And kicking deer out of beds in the dark. They let you walk right onto them. Never had coon fights, I think I'd have to go back and change my shorts. Like Law said, eggs fried in bacon grease with pancakes are scary. Only get about 100 yards before I get the urge.

If I get the "urge" one more time, just as I get to my stand. Damnit all anyways.........

This may sound stupid...but it works....It's the walk in that does it....so before I leave I take the time to walk around the out side of the house a few times...sure enough.....back in I go and I'm good for the morning ...lol

But that's only because I don't drink coffee in the morning during deer season....

Edited by growalot

But, I am targeting a bear this fall that is pretty active at eating whatever is around. I'm a little nervous about walking in to climb a tree, even though I know they are supposed to be scared of man.

Gun or bow ..... it makes a difference ..... lol. The problem may not be getting into the stand. It may be trying to get out of it after making a bad shot.

I'm not too fond of hearing a screaming cottontail, especially if it's on the trail to my stand in the dark. It's amazing all the different things your imagination can picture having ahold of it. It only has happened once, but that was enough to get me a bit nervous as I walked toward it trying to get to my stand.

I went on a hog hunt a few weeks ago in SC. I walked in the dark, through a swamp, in thigh high water to a blind. The sound was defining .... plus watching out for cotton mouth... alone! Not much up here to worry about. I do remember being surounded by panting dogs once though. Good luck all.

Gun or bow ..... it makes a difference ..... lol. The problem may not be getting into the stand. It may be trying to get out of it after making a bad shot.

I'm starting out with bow. But now that you said something about a bear looking at me in a bad mood cuz I put an arrow in its leg doesn't have me feeling all warm and fuzzy about going.

One set of woods, I cant go in that place even in the daylight without the hair standing up on my neck. I dont know why but that place just plain creeps me out, I stopped hunting it a few years back because of it, Still dont know why and i am not ready to find out why this place spooks me but it does and i hunted it for 10 years,

It didnt matter what i was packing gun,bow,muzzloader, It just weirded me out, Damn shame too i have sheds out of it that score from 150 to 170 just monster bucks, But dont care im good where i am now.

One set of woods, I cant go in that place even in the daylight without the hair standing up on my neck. I dont know why but that place just plain creeps me out, I stopped hunting it a few years back because of it, Still dont know why and i am not ready to find out why this place spooks me but it does and i hunted it for 10 years,

It didnt matter what i was packing gun,bow,muzzloader, It just weirded me out, Damn shame too i have sheds out of it that score from 150 to 170 just monster bucks, But dont care im good where i am now.

just the look of the woods was creepy?

I'm starting out with bow. But now that you said something about a bear looking at me in a bad mood cuz I put an arrow in its leg doesn't have me feeling all warm and fuzzy about going.

I do not mean to sound silly here, but, when was the last time you saw a headline in the paper hunter killed by bear? You should be more concerned about the other people in the area.

I just get that real eerie feeling every once in a while while walking in and out. Kind of like you know you are being watched, but have no clue by what or where. I rarely go in and out of the woods in the dark anymore. I kill more deer between 10 and noon than any time. I hunt the times when everyone else goes to camp to nap. Always has been more successful for me. Even if I go out for the evening, after legal hours, I am on my way back. Usually have enough light to get around.

Edited by bubba

Spent many a night in the woods in the military. There isnt alot that will get me un nerved anymore. I had a pack of yotes run up on me in the dark one morning and I scared the living crap out of them. They took off snarling and yiping and barking. I was trying to be quiet but I laughed out load. The worse scare I had I was sleeping alone in the woods with my head against a tree and a squirell came right down the tree and jumped on my sleeping bag. I nearly had a panick attack trying to get out of my mummy bag to see what was attacking me. :scare:

I do not mean to sound silly here, but, when was the last time you saw a headline in the paper hunter killed by bear?

None of this is usually about reality, but more about the quality of your imagination ..... :superstition: .

And then of course you have to ask yourself, "who wants to be the first?" :scare::scared:

• Like 1