2012 Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

burmjohn

Last Saturday's doe. A little young, but she walked in front of me 1 too many times to pass up. 12 yard shot, blew through her chest, just in front of the heart, severing the blood vessels. 30 yard tracking job with blood everywhere. Puts some meat in the freezer, and boosts the confidence. I do wish her momma had offered a shot though, healthy looking mature doe.

Cheers all, and good luck.

post-1774-13525381082014_thumb.jpg

My Dad just scored this nice 2.5 doe with Lump Jaw this morning at our poconos cabin...I was in my stand at 530 and I thought I heard a group of gals moving next to me just before light...

He woke up at 645 and shot this doe at 7am right after he got in his stand, double lunged at 20 yds, he's getting an xbow for xmas, so this was a good way to retire the hoyt (he only hunts in PA):

photo-8_zps267a3d77.jpg

2nd deer scored from our cabin in only 4 hunts...looking good for rifle.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Alot of work in Ohio. My goal for all of 2012 season was to tag a mature buckin bow (done) and get my fil his FIRST DEER in 40 years....last morning he had some light chasing amd saw 6 deer. He missed a 6 that jumped the string by inches taking a tuft of hair with the bolt. A doe stopped by 5 min later and he double lunged her at 20 yds. Talk about excited.

post-575-0-15794600-1352577707_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-27002200-1352577809_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry all im on my cell so posting is hard....esp with pics. I had a slam dunk on a 140 10 that was screwed by another hunter who was NOT supposed to be there. Was a real bummer as i had to watch the buck go under my set from 100 yds away in a blind that i had also set. Boy was I miffed. The other hunter really screwed me over and worse his entry was dead wrong, and i watched the buck pass my set and then go on alert as he picked up the hunters trail. The hunter never knew he was there. That sent the buck nocturnal for the most part over the past week. I got several cam pics of him going to and from bedding 20 min on the bad side of hunting time every single day that week.

Last night after taking care of the fil's doe, the owner called the neighbor farmer and told him to cut down the corn bordering the ground. They are buddies. This field of corn is 300 continous acres of mature corn. The call went out at 10 and by 2 i was met with the below pic at my stand. Since it was the last night farmer asked we burn our tags on a feeding mouth. I agreed as long as it had antlers it was going down - people in ohio really do help one another and it was the least i could do. This landowner and farmer are awesome. We used a 50k jd to toss the deer in the bucket and to gut. Even made use dinner, and honestly, was refreshing to see. I bought a stand for the owner and put it up for him as he xbow hunts from time to time maybe 4-5x a season.

Anyhow, i set up and the deer were abandoning the corn as the combine went by. Had a fork come out down wind and i turned him with a short can call. He stopped in the field 40 and i was waiting to draw when the combine had made its way back to this side of the field, which took about 15 min to make one pass. The buck slipped back into the corn. As the combine left, light faded down to last 15 min. Lots of does filtered out and four got to 30 yds and i was going to shoot after all, just to help out these people. So what if i burned an either sex on a doe, on my last night. They picked up my scent stream in the corner amd started head bobbing, but i think my predator camo really helped keep them around for 5 min. A 2.5 rounded the corner and sent the does into the woods. He worked the scrape, which was huge and was previously protected by the corn.

He picked up my scent stream too, but again it just wasnt enough to make him bolt. Facing backwards in the stand i drew and held on the right of the tree. 30 second went by and he ended up giving up on my scent being a concern and headed west, forcing me to lean back to clear the stand tree and shoot him on the left of that tree. 30 yds heart shot and i watched him drop in the corn field.

Would have loved to sink my teeth into the mature bucks i started to get a handle on but it was hard to say no to these kind peoples request on my last hunt.

post-575-0-81656500-1352579206_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-74047800-1352579251_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

well im finally getting a chance to put up some pic. Quick back story, the deer i took i ended up passing the sunday prior to my hunt. i had him at 15 yards and decided to give him the pass. Fast Fwd to Sat, the deer my by buddy ended up shooting i had between 15-20 yards at around 12 noon. i gave him the pass and that buck ended up following a doe to my buddies stand. He also passed him but texted me he thought he made a mistake and should have taken the deer. He said if he came back he would take it so i said go for it.

about 40 minutes later i get the text that the deer is down! so i was pumped for him. we have been hunting together for a few years now but never shared a harvest together. about 1 hour later the 7 point i passed the week before came in running around smelling my scent wick he gave me a 25 yard shot and i decided to give him the green light and take it. I was not going to take the buck but i figured the camaraderie that followed this harvest would have been worth it considering we would be going home with 2, 7 points! full pass though he went 40 yards and piled up. i was pumped, its been an extremely troubling year for us and things seem soooo late this year. i have over 120 hours logged this season and the only shooters i have seen on stand were my first 2 hunts of the year. they will taste good and boy was it something sharing these 2 buck together. well worth it! still have more tags so watch out deer lol

im writing from the comp and posting pics from my phone, i didnt take many pics considering we had alot of work to do getting the deer out.

Nice gfdeputy2 . You got him on your Naples hunt??? I was wondering how you made out there...

Yes I did we ended up with 3 Bucks this one being the best one most deer we have ever seen & it was about 50/50 buck/does

already booked for next year

Thanks for the info

geno Congrats on the 2) 7 pointers

Edited by gfdeputy2

This will be a quick-ish story so don't worry about a long read.

The day started out pretty good when i got out of my car and smelled a rutting buck close by. I watched the small lawn for a little but hurried to that stand with my dad. After getting set up and pulling all of the cards out of my cam i looked up and saw a deer in a big 13 acre field about 200-230 yards away. I watched the deer for 10 min until it returned back into the woods. About 3-5 min later my father pokes me and says a deer is coming our way from the bedding area. As the deer got closer it got a good look at my decoy and skirted around the edges of my good shooting lanes. It finally got just close enough to sneak a shot through the trees and branches. I did not see the arrow hit but i heard the unmistakable thump of a good rib hit. I watched the deer run about 40-50 yards max before falling over and jumping in the air. I got down about 10 min later and tracked him anyway for the practice. When i got there i realized the shot was an inch higher then i wanted but still a center punched lung shot. I was originally going to wait for a buck but i could not resist. When i was talking to the land owner around 2:00 i was greated by a big 8 running the egde of his lawn working his way righ towards me. If he would have continued on his path he would have been 12 yards broadside, but he saw us and took off after does.

Here he is

post-2496-0-19771100-1352734641_thumb.jp

post-2496-0-79568800-1352734639_thumb.jp

• Like 1