What caliber to complement a 30.06 ??

mac

I am looking for a rifle caliber to complement my 30.06 on the smaller end. I want something for range shooting 100 & 200yrds but also for hunting nothing larger than a deer and that has has lower recoil and easy to find affordable ammo, so I am leaning towards a .243 ..thoughts?

I'm a fan of the .243. everything up to a deer is fair game and can be a deer killer with a solid shooter.

WIth a great selection of factory and reloading components.

Another you may consider is .223 since you would have 2 calibers with military history and surplus ammo available for plinking

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I still think the .243 is more versatile given his situation.

Load up some predator rounds and have at it...or take down the deer. I think people are placing too much thought into it being only a deer gun. It's not like he is choosing this as his ONLY rifle.

And, usually, .243 ammo is pretty cheap for the non-military classes...only thing cheaper is the 30-30.

Edited by phade

I just think that the 708 would do a better job on both coyotes and deer. You can get 120grn bullets that would do great on both. But you're right on the price thing. 243 ammo is way cheaper than 708, in fact sometimes you cant even find 708.

For varmints and maybe occasional use on deer, I'd go with the .223... Light recoil, effective, and lots of cheap ammo available.

No problem with the .243, but ammo is more expensive...Anything bigger, 7MM08, .308, .270 etc . is REDUNDANT with your 30-06...

Another plug for the .243 (or its bastard cousin the 6mm Rem.) Bullet weights from lightweight 55 gr. can break the 4.000 fps barrier and you can go up to 115 gr. VLD types for long-range shooting. This covers anything from target to varmint to medium-sized game. Recoil is mild, and the cartridge has a good reputation for being accurate and easy to reload for. Whether the twist in your barrel can handle all those weights accurately can only be determined through trial and error. (I've had good luck with 65 grs. through 105 grs. in a 1x9 twist in my 6mm Rem.)

I would also go with the 223, deadly on varmints and won't break the bank. Purchase some quality ammo and kill deer with it. I have seen the effects of the little 55 grain bullets on deer, many times and have never felt they were not up to the job. I would rather see 100 guys packing the 223 then 10 guys who close there eyes and flinch from the recoil of a larger caliber.

I just bought a new Remington 700 CDL DM for the wife. After sighting it in, I think she may be using something else this year cause I absolutely love it!. Took three rounds to sight it in and I was driving tacks after that with the Hornady superformance. My 270 and 308 don't compare under 200 yds. However, it sounds like you are also a target shooter and the 243 rounds are much cheaper as others have said. On the flip side, I have seen deer run pretty far after an accurate hit with a 243 on more than one occassion. You're gonna have to compromise on one end or the other.