Looking into the legality of food plots.

Not sure if this is meant to be a put down or not. I was stating that is what it appeared to me, but as you say everyone is indeed entitled to they’re own opinion, ha-ha.

It's not a put-down, it's an observation.

Ya know the day some a wipe in government tells me what I can or can not PLANT legally..not talking drugs here... On my land...

Is the day they have to come in and haul my sorry butt off to jail...then let the tax payers pay to house ...cloth ...and feed me...I'll work out in the gym....have my diet fixed for me ...get an education in what ever..I'll certainly have the time...and they can take what ever corn cobs are let in my fields and.........

It isn't so much about planting legally... its more about hunting over those legal plantings that they can regulate... the plants are yours the deer are not.. I'm not saying they sould regulate hunting over food plots.. just saying it's perfectly within their rights.. it is your right to grow the plots and their right to keep you from killing the publics deer over them if they deem necessary. I don't think that will happen anytime soon so I wouldn't frett about it.

Here in lays the problem with that line of thought...politically speaking...telling some one they are not allowed a legally hunt a game animal on land they travel through NY because deer are eating plants that are deemed to be food deer eat..... and legally planted on your land...I plant all trails and logging roads in grasses and clovers...to keep them from eroding ...smooth for safe walking...open for future logging...I have many reasons for planting other than hunting....no one ...and I mean no one will tell me I can't hunt my land because of my management plan...unless they want to fence my property to keep game off it or arrest me....some think I'm just saying this...but I could not be more serious...ppl say "they can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands"...well that's my thoughts about my land ...deer are legal to hunt in NYS and they roam...they roam on my land and I have a license...no matter what my management practices are on my property...save high fencing..they are fair game

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Here in lays the problem with that line of thought...politically speaking...telling some one they are not allowed a legally hunt a game animal on land they travel through NY because deer are eating plants that are deemed to be food deer eat..... and legally planted on your land...I plant all trails and logging roads in grasses and clovers...to keep them from eroding ...smooth for safe walking...open for future logging...I have many reasons for planting other than hunting....no one ...and I mean no one will tell me I can't hunt my land because of my management plan...unless they want to fence my property to keep game off it or arrest me....some think I'm just saying this...but I could not be more serious...ppl say "they can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands"...well that's my thoughts about my land ...deer are legal to hunt in NYS and they roam...they roam on my land and I have a license...no matter what my management practices are on my property...save high fencing..they are fair game

I too am a great believer in land owner's rights. It's the one thing that separates us from the more authoritarian governments. That's why I am an opponent of most zoning in rural areas. When I say a man's home (Property) is his castle, I am very firm in that belief.

Now how about this. A food plot that is used for hunting purposes only and the plot owner applies for nuisance permits because of all the crop damage. legal right!! Of course it is by law.

You might not understand the process for obtaining nuisance permits.

Any one can apply, but none - especially 1st time - are simply given without a determination of real need

and limitations for quantity. Like many things, more permits seemed to be used on the internet then in real life.

• Like 1

And the NYS legality of food plots was answered as soon as some one posted the link to the DEC website covering them.

Pretty much everything posted since then has zero to do with the legality but rather how some want to judge other hunters.

• Like 2

Now how about this. A food plot that is used for hunting purposes only and the plot owner applies for nuisance permits because of all the crop damage. legal right!! Of course it is by law.

don't get me going on that one...for that is totally a DEC "muck up"...it is their responsibility to go out and check to see what and how much damage there is on a farm to issue a Nuisance permit.... regulations on shooting does..ones they made...not land use...that's there legal right in managing NYS deer...once again NOT doing their JOB properly

DEC wouldnt give out any nuisance permits for food plot damage. They dont just hand those out. The farm that I hunt gets them some years, and each year DEC comes out to inspect the crops that are being damaged and they calculate the cost to the farmer before they allow them to have any permits.

Nuisance permits are for crop damage that involves a business were income is being threatened.. I doubt very much that you can get a permit for damage done to a crop planted for the purpose of attracting the animal that is the niusance... kind of defeats the purpose of the permit.

• Like 1

SO ENDS THE GREAT FOOD PLOT DEBATE FOR 2012! PLEASE TUNE IN NEXT WEEK THURS EVE AT 9 AS WE BRING YOU MORE EXCITING NEWS FROM HUNTINGNY.COM.

HUNTINGNY.COM IS AN ONLINE FORUM GEARED TOWARD HUNTING THAT HAS MOSTLY KNUCKELHEADS FOR MEMBERS (lol) IT OFTEN GETS LIVELY AROUND HEAR AS HUNTERS FROM NY DEBATE AND BUMP HEADS OVER HUNTING ISSUES (lol) SO COME TO THEIR SIGHT AT WWW.HUNTINGNY.COM THATS WWW.HUNTINGNY.COM

THIS IS JOSEPH MARTIN REPORTING FOR DEER HUNT NEWS...........

THE GREAT FOOD PLOT DEBATE AIRS EVERY YEAR AROUND COLUMBUS DAY WEEKEND SO LOOK FOR IT NEXT YEAR! THE 2013 EPISODE OF THE GREAT FOOD PLOT DEBATE........

COPYRIGHT DEER HUNT NEWS

OUTDOOR CHANNEL

Edited by josephmrtn

Forget food plots and baiting.

Just walk into the woods and do the following:

find some deer trails

find deer poop

find buck rubs

find deer foot prints

Sit somewhere near all of this, on the ground with your back against a big a tree. Sit dark to dark and move as little as possible and be scent-free and see what happens.

If you don't see any deer for a few days try a different spot.

Once you find a spot where you see deer and can kill deer. Come back every year and sit in the same spot. Don't bother going into this spot between seasons. Leave it natural, no scents, dont use lures, etc.

Many people overthink Deer hunting.