burmjohn 2012 - get it done

burmjohn

Heading up tonight after work to meet my brother at the cabin. Really excited this year, we have some nice ones in the area. I did not get to spend the pre-season time I wanted to up there this year because of work and family obligations, however, I still think we should have a good time.

We moved a few stands this year, not all of them, and not all of them to the places I wanted (time).

Bow is locked in, and confident with my pin setup. Nothing really changed from last year other then some new arrows.

Lots of bear on the property again this year, perhaps we will see one during the season. Hoping my brother can knock down his first bow kill this year as well.

My goal is to knock down nice doe early, then concentrate on looking for a buck. Last year I did the opposite and ended up with no deer.

I'll post some updates time permitting over the next few days!

• Like 2

"Last year I did the opposite and ended up with no deer" John, I have done that for th epast 2 season and ended up empty handed looking for that wall buck.. However opening day I also go for a buck after that its all doe until i get one then back to buck

Wow!

Well I had an awesome weekend. It was slow at times, then busy at others. Unfortunately I did not score a deer. HOWEVER, I did see a bear for the first time. That was just amazing, he stood up and I got the shakes a bit... About 5 feet tall or so, it was just amazing.

I saw a ton of does, fawns, etc. Nothing was really in range, until Sat evening. I was sitting in my wood stand, which is about 300 yards from the fields. This deer came in straight ahead at me, looked like a good sizes doe. I got ready and then once I realized it was a spike I put my bow down and watch him browse for about 45 min.

All of a sudden he looks behind me and freaks out... So I look to my right and there is a HUGE doe, mature, big body. I slowly stand up, grab the bow. Then I hear these noises further behind me. Sounded like a light grunt, then a nose clear. I look back and there is a large 6 staring in my direction (Really I think at the spike), then to the left of the 6 was a absolute monster 8 / 8 +. Wayyyy outside the ears... No joke it looked like a freaking horse. It was hands down the biggest deer and rack I have ever seen in the woods. My leg immediately started shaking. I was freaking out a bit. He stayed there for about 20 min, and this was about 6pm. He was not moving towards me. At this point I tried a light grunt two times... He picked his head up looked, and went back to browsing... He stayed there till after 6:30 and then moved on his way by 6:45. The entire time I was surrounded by deer, at least 8 of them... 3 bucks, does and fawns. I'm surprised I did not get busted.

It was awesome. Wish he came closer, but man this deer was a beast! So much fun, hopefully run into him next time I get out. Its just exciting to see a true mature buck.

• Like 2

Am I seeing things or are there 7 pins on that sight ? Good luck !

Yeah :) And my new platform stand in the background to the left which I didnt get to finish this year... That one will give me viability over the valley I can't see from this stand. More then likely mainly a rifle stand.