How much to cut and wrap?

ants

Good topic. It's funny, last season I barely got to hunt and got nothing. I was half-considering going to a food pantry and seeing if I could buy or trade for some venison! Luckily a friend who hunts had plenty; he gave me 30 or so lbs for free. Love that guy! I wonder too, how many food pantry patrons take the venison.

i do my own because i know its done right and the meat is cared for properly and the meat i get is mine and nobody else's that was hanging on a tree in the sun for a week, but i dont know how anyone wouldnt want 300 bucks to do the job...if you know guys that you can really, really trust and they do it for 65 bucks then thats a good deal.

60 bucks vacuumed sealed, Tag stays with the meat through the whole process, 2 butchers in the shop and they cut,grind and seal each deer individually, Then that deer is put away and the next one comes out, I watched one time it was pretty interesting to see how fast they can do an entire deer, I never donated to the venison coalition, Mainly because, I talked to the guy who picked the meat up from the butcher one day and that load was going to Five points Correctional Facility, I'm not hunting to feed a bunch of felons, The butcher i use has a list of local families that are in need so i donate to them and he charges nothing for doing it, Rather see it go into my community than be sent to prisons and cities, JMHO

I've taken mine to the butcher several times.Then I got to thinking that I may not be getting my deer back.Long story so let me say this butchers never pay for meat and always get the best of cuts.The other thing that pisses me off about butchers is they dont clean the way I do I was not happy to open a roast to find the tallied or silver skin removed.I will never hire a butcher again.

I hear ya. I use to do my own for years but it finally got old. It took me all day then my back would ache for a week.

My guy does a pretty good job ( maybe not as trimmed up as I would) and Im sure I get my own meat back. But for piece of mind you're better off doing it your self.

Getting lazy in my old age.

One of the popular places here is double what most here are paying....

$120 and he charges more if its bigger than 150 lbs gutted.

Lots of city folk hunt here and have nowhere to hang a carcass back home I guess.

Clean shop and such, and they get great reviews......but dang I'd learn to do one on a portable table off a tail gate for that price. JMO

Edited by Dinsdale

• 4 years later...
12 minutes ago, aboa13 said:

This is an old post. Just came across it. Curious what most of you pay that have your deer butchered. In 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$70 at Buck n doe 

steaks,chops , cube steaks ,ground , tenderloins ,roasts, stew. 

Dogs , sausage , pepper stick etc costs extra  

Always do a great job there  Never any silver skin , no hair , wonderfully packaged   Clearly labeled. 

$70 at Buck n doe 
Always do a great job there  Never any silver skin , no hair , wonderfully packaged   Clearly labeled. 

That's a good price. What part of NY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$70 at Buck n doe 

I'll add that it's not just wrapped, it's vacuum sealed. Sheridan drive in Clarence

local one here is show up with the field dressed deer and it's $85 vaccum packaged, however you want it.  bulk sausage and venison products like jerky, hotdogs, etc is extra.  not all are created equal though.  you get your deer too not some other deer that someone gut shot or poked the pee sac.

still i've always done my own.  i'm picky and cheap.

• Like 1

local one here is show up with the field dressed deer and it's $85 vaccum packaged, however you want it.  bulk sausage and venison products like jerky, hotdogs, etc is extra.  not all are created equal though.  you get your deer too not some other deer that someone gut shot or poked the pee sac.

still i've always done my own.  i'm picky and cheap.

I also do my own but I've gotten in a couple jams and dropped them at Buck and Doe with good results

The farther you get from the big cities, the cheaper you can get it done.  I paid $47 last fall at Nolt's, up in Lowville NY, to get a medium-sized doe cut and wrapped with the loins vacuum-sealed and the rest ground and tubed.  The temperature was supposed to get up in the 80's on the afternoon of that kill, and I was far from home, so I had to get it to a processor with a cooler ASAP.   They did a great job of trimming out all the fat, silver skin and tendons.  The only glitch there is that it usually takes them 10 days to do it.  Fortunately, they were not super busy during the early ML season up there last fall, and got this one done in 5 days, so I could pick up the meat on my drive back home.  My in-laws are moving up there now, so the 10 day delay will not be a problem for me in the future.    If I could get them done that cheap and well at home, I would probably not do any more myself.   If it is going to cost me over $60, it tips the scale to where I prefer to do it myself.  That also brings the additional benefits of full control over the aging process, and knowing for sure I get my own meat back.  

It has been about 10 years since I used Buck & Doe on Sheridan, but I was also happy with the results of their work.  The pepper sticks were especially good, and the quantity of meat they gave me back was considerably more than I expected from a rutted out, thin-bodied 10-point buck.  I remember wondering a little bit, if it was all from my deer.          

17 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I also do my own but I've gotten in a couple jams and dropped them at Buck and Doe with good results

call me a glutton for punishment but i've shot more deer on a Sunday evening than i care to.  it's a late night especially when you shoot more than one, but it all gets into the freezer or fridge and Monday morning i'm at work.