Black squirrles

Dom

I looked this up a few years ago when I lived in TN. Like CCHC said, they are a mutation of the grey squirrel and legal to shoot during that season. However, nationally, western NY is one of only a handful of places that they occur in regularity. I think OH and MO were they only other areas I remember having significiant populations. They are kinda considered a trophy down south, similiar to a large bass or a non-typical rack would be. On a personal note, that color mutation is on my list to harvest. I've got some in my area that I hunt but can never seem to get one.

A black squirrel and a blonde color phase raccoon are on my dream list. Why? No idea...but I'd certainly rank them high into my top 10 list of all game/species/type.

Blonde raccoon? never heard of that....sounds cool, I will look it up. I always wanted a black coyote and a blonde colored black bear also.

I used to see a lot of black squirrels one town over from me on L.I., but haven't seen them there for a while now.

Last year I went to a social event(a rarity for me), which was in Astoria, Queens(NYC) and saw loads of Black Squirrels.. more then I've ever seen in one place..I seem to recall seeing some in the Bronx too.

.Isn't it called something like the melanistic stage, or something like that when a grey squirrel is black ???

I had a mounted one years ago, but needed his tail for some flys and lures, and his fur for dubbing on the flys so I chopped it up.. The tail and fur worked good and I got a bunch of trout, but now I wish I kept the squirrel...

I've shot a few raccoons years back that were pretty yellow, but never thought of them as blond...I'm not sure if that's what's meant by a blond raccoon though..

Last year I went to a social event(a rarity for me), which was in Astoria, Queens(NYC) and saw loads of Black Squirrels.. more then I've ever seen in one place..I seem to recall seeing some in the Bronx too.

Bunch of black squirrels in the Bronx. I cut through a park every morning on my way to work and see a few.

Black squirrels are a color phase of grey squirrels.

I have read that black squirrels can be born in the same litter as greys.

However, there are places where the black phase is dominant. In the area where I hunt spring gobblers in Ontario, Canada, it is rare to see a grey.. Actually, I have seen damn few grey squirrels north of the St. Lawrence...

I have hunted an area near Eldred, PA. where the ratio of greys to blacks was about 50/50..

Here in southern Steuben County, the number of blacks has seemed to increase over the last 40 years..Used to be, I would see a black about once every two years.. Nowadays, I see them frequently enough that I consider them just another squirrel.I have shot 33 squirrels this season so far. 3 of them have been black..

I have read that black squirrels were more common back when our forests were mostly coniferous; the darker coloration made the less likely to be spotted therefore predated upon. Now that logging, fire, etc have created mostly deciduous forest, the greys are better camoflauged. The genetics for the blacks do indeed exist in pockets, that's true. We have quite a few of them here. My town takes a great deal of pride in them, of all things.

• 1 month later...

There are tons of black squirrels in Westchester County. I would love to see one when I hunt in Putnam County. Would make a cool mount to go next to my first ever grey squirrel that I have mounted.

I shot my first one ever, last weekend in Putnam County at the California Hill Multiple Use Area. It is the only one I have seen there. I have also seena few in Fahnestock but did not get any there yet.

Cool! Haven't seen any black ones there, but have seen a few in a bow area. Any deer over there at Cali Hill?

Yes, I see at least 1 deer every time I go there, but I don't deer hunt and they are busting it when I see them so I can't look for horns. I shot a big 20 pound gobbler there right on the power line in 1999.