Button Bucks

BigMike

Someone shooting 2 or 3 or 10 deer a year is not a murderer.

Someone killing another human would be.

An experienced - or even novice - hunter would know that.

apparently this board is very literal, and needs everything spelled out. I meant that he shoots 2 or 3 button bucks a year. I myself shoot atleast 2 bucks a year. but there's a difference. If you dont believe there's a difference than i cant help you. How about slaughterer? does that work?

Listen if you guys get your rocks off taking out .5 year olds then that's fine. Last weekend i had a big mature doe walk by my stand at 10 yards. followed closely behind her was a late drop which still had spots. You want my opinion? taking either is not ethical. If you cant supress the urge to kill to wait for a 1.5 year old doe or buck then that's you. I can. Maybe i'm fortunate to hunt some nice land and you all aren't. I just dont see what's so wrong with letting them grow up? Can any of you honestly say that a bb was the only deer you saw all season? if so, then i suppose i'll give you a pass. a nice 120lb 1.5 year old doe is great eating.

Well I am swinging over to Walmart after work to grab 2 MORE doe permits for 8H.... with any luck I will be murdering a few BB's in a couple weeks

shooting bb's in rush makes me chuckle. i should post some of the bucks my uncle pulls from there.

Edited by Belo

I will gladly let the young ones pass if someone is nice enough to let me hunt there property and harvest a monster. Until then as I hunt public land only and get very lucky to see any deer I will take what I can try to get before the guy right next to me does the same. Age and size of a deer means nothing to me here on Long Island where they beg you to kill em.

• Like 1

Hate when people shoot button bucks.... just my opinion, dont want to start a forum war.... but any " hunter" should be able to determine a button or young doe. My method is the head, hence the nickname chisel head. That squarish small snouted face is a dead give away! Good luck, and i hope u bag a slob flat head not buttons!!

Maybe i should have said..... antlerless is antlerless, but i do hope u get the opportunity to harvest a more mature deer, it always seems lbs more enjoyable to me. Im sure you can agree u would probably shoot the bigger deer first right? I mean, if there were two deer standing there.... also, in case u were curious ( not at all pertaining to your question) i have found in my personal experience that looking at a deers head is usually a great place to notice if it is mature or not. The bb's and doe fawns typically have a distinct square like, small and stubby snout vs the long narrow head of a more mature deer. Hope this bit of info is helpful! Either way, i wish u luck and hope mother nature sends a big doe to you....

-any better?

• Like 2

Maybe i should have said..... antlerless is antlerless, but i do hope u get the opportunity to harvest a more mature deer, it always seems lbs more enjoyable to me. Im sure you can agree u would probably shoot the bigger deer first right? I mean, if there were two deer standing there.... also, in case u were curious ( not at all pertaining to your question) i have found in my personal experience that looking at a deers head is usually a great place to notice if it is mature or not. The bb's and doe fawns typically have a distinct square like, small and stubby snout vs the long narrow head of a more mature deer. Hope this bit of info is helpful! Either way, i wish u luck and hope mother nature sends a big doe to you....

-any better?

i work with a guy that will shoot the smaller deer becaues they taste better. which i agree with. just wish he wasn't shooting the bb's. he's a meat hunter and that's fine.

I am a meat hunter and i am not so concerned with a rack, but would be a bonus to get a nice one.

I think the younger the more tender and I pay for my Lic and my tags and will use how i wish.

Nothing wrong with anyone having their own standards of hunting for yourself but any but you shouldn't try and push your thought or on others or criticize who is following the law.

Not sure what is considered experience when it comes to hunting, more kills or years being out there? I do have a young fat doe out there i want,or is it a BB? hope i get it.

Edited by paula
  • Like 2

I have no problem with someone shooting a button. I wouldnt, but thats me. I think any harvest for anybody is a great thing, regardless of size or sex of the deer. I shot a 125 # dressed out doe on opening day and was so excited I thought I was gonna pee myself. Some people have it better than others, and thats what alot of people dont understand. So, if you have an opportunity to fill that tag, and maybe your only opportunity, fill it. I have a friend who is a single dad with 4 kids, and works non stop to pay the bills, and barely can afford groceries, and he takes what he can get legally and ethically to have food on the table for his kids. (I even help him out where I can with day care, etc) If its a button, who cares. If its a 140 class 8, awesome. But in my book, it dont matter. Like paula said, they are your tags, and do as you wish.

• Like 1

Probably look just like the ones I have on camera,.....and on the wall.

Just wondering. How many years of hunting do you have under your belt?

He's younger than me according to his profile.

Mighty fine first 4 or 5 posts, eh?

So what? Why are you concerned with what he is shooting? He spent his money on tags and a license, just like you and I did. Hes not breaking any laws, so whats the problem. If he just likes to shoot deer and gives the meat away, and calls his tags in like he should be I dont see the problem. I also am not going to sit here and say the guy is any less of a hunter than I am.

Because you don't know they guy. Yes its his tags and he could fill them however he wants but he is a piss poor hunter. I associate shooting small deer with him but it kind of gives me a skewed view of some hunters mentality. He doesn't practice, he wounds deer every year, he nevers spends adequate time tracking, he shoots what ever he sees, the only thing that hes ever gotten that are nice where dumb luck or on a guided hunt. he even missed a moose from a rest at 100 yards. He has never developed as a hunter in any form, he lacks all discipline and has no patience, takes unethical shots etc... Now I'm saying that everyone that shoots a button buck is the same as I know another old timer that is happy just to shoot a deer a year because of the restrictions his age has put on him. Everyones situation is different and someone like you that has well managed property in the WNY is going to hold out for a bigger one then I will hunting state game land just above NYC but I'm still going to pass on fawns, btn bucks, spikes, and little bucks because I want the oppurtunity to do better and with a few years of exp I some times eat a little tag soup but theres some meat in the freezer. Now do I think that I'm a better hunter than anyone else? No! Do I think someone thats dedicating time and energy all year round and practicing, scouting, passes a few young deer is a better hunter than someone that grabs their gun wipes the dust off and shoots the first thing they see, Yes. Just my opinion may differ than yours but we are entitled to have'em. My question to you is hypothecial but you and I have the same exact property, the same experience, the same equipment, same opportunity etc... and every year you hold out and get a nice fat doe and a decent buck but I shoot the first thing I see, who do you prefer to be?

How about legal hunter.

Unless of course he is hunting humans - then murderer would be correct.

if he ate all he killed, that'd be fine. he doens't. this board is ok with killing just for the sake of killing? legal or not? I should post the pics of his neighbor who wounded a 4 point (have it on trailcam) then tresspassed on my property to find it. hung up toilet paper everywhere. didn't remove it. when he was called out he didn't even appologize.

Nothing wrong with anyone having their own standards of hunting for yourself but any but you shouldn't try and push your thought or on others or criticize who is following the law.

woah woah woah. this is an internet forum. i'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone. forums are for sharing, learning, debating and discussion. and it looks like this board could use a little more activity considering its prime time hunting season and there's not a ton of posts going on. You want me to leave, I will.

He's younger than me according to his profile.

Mighty fine first 4 or 5 posts, eh?

i've been hunting with bow and gun since i was legally able. I'm 29. That's enough experience. I have a few on the wall, many more capped and as I stated i've taken plenty of doe and even a bb when I was younger.

In addition i will restate that i agree that if deer are hard to come by in your area, you're feeding your family with venison, or you're new to hunting any kill is great (especially one with a stick and string). But the experienced hunter with lots of nice private land who "cant tell the difference" must be the same hunter shooting at humans. You need to know your target, have a good shot and you should know what you're shooting at. If you have meat in the freezer and extra "doe" tags, then shoot a doe. that's all i'm saying.

btw, where's the youth hunt debate? just learned about a guy at work that smoked a nice 8 and put his daughters tag on it. :) :) :)

Edited by Belo

if he ate all he killed, that'd be fine. he doens't. this board is ok with killing just for the sake of killing? legal or not?

woah woah woah. this is an internet forum. i'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone. forums are for sharing, learning, debating and discussion. and it looks like this board could use a little more activity considering its prime time hunting season and there's not a ton of posts going on. You want me to leave, I will.

No need for drama, I was just making a statement wasn't necessarily meant for you of course your opinions are welcomed.

the quotes you quoted him saying were in response to statements you said directly to him... then he responds and you say no need for drama. maybe you didnt specifically say drama queen but its not hard to see where your getting at.

and no im not bored. just nit picking like the rest of you.

if he ate all he killed, that'd be fine. he doens't. this board is ok with killing just for the sake of killing? legal or not? I should post the pics of his neighbor who wounded a 4 point (have it on trailcam) then tresspassed on my property to find it. hung up toilet paper everywhere. didn't remove it. when he was called out he didn't even appologize.

i've been hunting with bow and gun since i was legally able. I'm 29. That's enough experience. I have a few on the wall, many more capped and as I stated i've taken plenty of doe and even a bb when I was younger.

In addition i will restate that i agree that if deer are hard to come by in your area, you're feeding your family with venison, or you're new to hunting any kill is great (especially one with a stick and string). But the experienced hunter with lots of nice private land who "cant tell the difference" must be the same hunter shooting at humans. You need to know your target, have a good shot and you should know what you're shooting at. If you have meat in the freezer and extra "doe" tags, then shoot a doe. that's all i'm saying.

btw, where's the youth hunt debate? just learned about a guy at work that smoked a nice 8 and put his daughters tag on it. :) :) :)

I stand corrected. You do in fact know everything.

the quotes you quoted him saying were in response to statements you said directly to him... then he responds and you say no need for drama. maybe you didnt specifically say drama queen but its not hard to see where your getting at.

and no im not bored. just nit picking like the rest of you.

This is me quoting you, nothing wrong with you nit picking. I didn't quote anyone is my statement, it was a general statement

wow this is so far away from where it started. Same old arguements that run in circles, Anter restrictions, btn bucks, compound or recurve, etc... etc.... I'm heading back into the woods where I don't have to listen to any hunters :spiteful:

A lot of these never go or end up like someone thought they would, you should know that by now. :prankster:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . me quoting again :pickeat:

-any better?

Yep, thats better. I hope a nice big doe presents herself to me soon, and to you as well!