Hunters shot at in Westchester County

BizCT

YORKTOWN — Two deer hunters believed they were being hunted when they wandered onto private property only to have its owners – two brothers – shoot at them, police said today.

The incident began Friday afternoon when the two hunters chased an injured deer onto property at 980 Chapman Road then called police after someone fired on them, Lt. Kevin Soravilla said.

Officer Mark Rapisarda responded and interviewed the hunters.

Further investigation showed that the hunters had wandered onto property owned by Ronald Padovani, 46, of 980 Chapman Road and that he and his brother, Richard Padovani, 45, of 950 Chapman Road, had fired a shotgun and a rifle over the hunters’ heads.

“They told us they were shooting over their heads to scare them off,” Soravilla said.

The Padovani brothers appeared later Friday at police headquarters, where Rapisarda charged them each with first-degree reckless endangerment, a felony.

They were released on $1,500 bail each and are due in Town Court tonight.

No one was injured and the hunters were not charged, Soravilla said.

Chapman Road is located off Croton Lake Road and is bordered to the north by heavy woods that lead to Turkey Mountain Park.

Stupid is as.........really....it's no wonder they they shot and told.....weren't smart enough to say...What are you talking about...we've been squirrel hunting on our own land...how were we to know ppl other than use were on our private land?......That's why you don't just go....contact owners FIRST!

Edited by growalot

Stupid is as.........really....it's no wonder they they shot and told.....we'er smart enough to say...What are you talking about...we've been squirrel hunting on our own land...how were we to know ppl other than use were on our private land?......That's why you don't just go....contact owners FIRST!

What? I don't understand any of this?

what kind of rifle is what i wanna know.Shooting a high calliber rifle in to the air is not a good idea to begin with.

I get what you are saying Grow.If they had a half of brain as they are crazy then they could have said they were squirrel hunting,and didn't know they had tresspassers on their land.

What? I don't understand any of this?

what to understand...they were stupid and shot in direction of trespassers....Then when questioned...they were stupid enough to say they shot indirection of trespassers...

Smart would have been to shoot...not in direction of trespassers scaring them... when questioned say they were squirrel hunting on private land...how were they to know others were in private woods?...

This is why hunters have to get permission before tracking....what if someone was target shooting and those two STUPID hunters walked up behind a shooting range?

And yes typing stinks so there were misspelled words...besides my having several different things going one at once...lol

Edited by growalot

Well, they will lose these guns now....felony gun related, bye bye hunting.....

Even a misdemeanor that involves a firearm in a violent threating manner guns bye bye forever and thats a federal law. I know a jackass that did something similar and was cconvicted of a misd. and can never have a gun in his house again. Even his son had to remove guns for safe keeping while living in the same house.

Personally, I think the trespassers should have also been charged. Although not the right thing to do to fire on them, these brothers were just reacting to a situation. They made bad decisions in using a rifle in a no rifle zone, and intentionally shooting at a person. But nevertheless, those 2 hunters should not have been where they were in the first place.

The 2 brothers is they had 1/2 a brain would hire a good lawyer and drop the charges down to a violation and be on their merry way.

• Like 1

So you are saying shooting to scare people is ok as long as its not at them?

Doe ...on more than one occasion I've nearly been shot on my own land...and besides just yelling I put a slug in the ground to let them know I was there....it wasn't until the gun went off the shooting stopped...should I have been arrested ?